Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to forum-Can my children become British citizens?

New to forum-Can my children become British citizens?

Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

movado is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to forum-Can my children become British citizens?

Hello, I am an new to these boards and hope I am posting in the correct forum. Apologies if I am not.

Here is my background and question.
I was born in the UK, but only lived there a few weeks. I do have a valid British passport. So I suppose I am British by birth.

I grew up in Canada and hold Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport.
As an adult, i moved to the US and became a US citizen. This is where I live now.

I have two children who were both born in the US. My question is, are my children eligible for British citizenship based on the fact that I (their mother) am a British citizen?

I have not been able to find a clear answer yet, but this is something I would like to do for them if it is possible.

Thank you for any guidance or tips on where I can find an answer.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to forum-Can my children become British citizens?

Originally Posted by movado View Post
Hello, I am an new to these boards and hope I am posting in the correct forum. Apologies if I am not.

Here is my background and question.
I was born in the UK, but only lived there a few weeks. I do have a valid British passport. So I suppose I am British by birth.

I grew up in Canada and hold Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport.
As an adult, i moved to the US and became a US citizen. This is where I live now.

I have two children who were both born in the US. My question is, are my children eligible for British citizenship based on the fact that I (their mother) am a British citizen?

I have not been able to find a clear answer yet, but this is something I would like to do for them if it is possible.

Thank you for any guidance or tips on where I can find an answer.

Your children appear to be British by descent. Document it by applying for UK passports for them.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Q: Were your kids born after 1983?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Yes, they were born in the 90's. On is 15 and the other is 17. Does that make a difference?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:58 pm
Septicity

Yes, they were born in the 90's. On is 15 and the other is 17. Does that make a difference?
Before 1983 and it's complicated. You should be good to go -- apply for their UK passports from Washington. If you don't have birth certificates issued within several months of their birth, you may have issues. Search this forum for posts where this has cropped up before.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My question is, are my children eligible for British citizenship based on the fact that I (their mother) am a British citizen?
Not only do your children appear to be British, they might also be Canadian! Something else to check up on.

It's perfectly okay for them to hold citizenship in 3 countries. You do; I do: UK, Canada, and US. It sure makes travelling easier!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jun 1st 2012 at 8:49 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 12:26 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Children born overseas after 1st January 1983 to a British-born mother born prior to 1st January 1983 will automatically possess British citizenship.

You will need to apply to the Embassy in Washington for their passports: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...als/passports/

As mentioned, it sounds like your children are entitled to Canadian passports too - get them the full set!

Last edited by BritInParis; Jun 2nd 2012 at 12:27 am. Reason: Correcting readability
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the replies and yes, they do have Canadian passports.
I will definitely apply for the British passports for them.

One question... when looking at the passport site it requires that these documents(among others) are sent in with the passport application:

Your mother’s original UK long version birth certificate (this would be mine)
Your original British Citizen parents' passports; (mine again)

As these are very important documents, what is the securest way of sending these to the embassy in Washington?

Also, how does the embassy typically send them back?