Reload this Page >

New Florida Gun Law

New Florida Gun Law

Old May 13th 2005, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Florida Gun Law

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
But then you're not in danger until the guy pulls the gun, by which time you're f***** already.
which is why you shoot first...
Old May 13th 2005, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
which is why you shoot first...
But the other guy has already pulled his gun, which made you pull yours, so he'll have the first opputunity to shoot first.

My point is, for you to feel sufficiently threatened the situation would require the attacker to have the upperhand already.
Old May 13th 2005, 9:22 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

But the other guy has already pulled his gun, which made you pull yours, so he'll have the first opputunity to shoot first.

My point is, for you to feel sufficiently threatened the situation would require the attacker to have the upperhand already.

they don't have to pull a gun for you to feel threatened

http://www.oksenate.gov/news/Nationa...m20041031.html
Old May 13th 2005, 9:28 pm
Franklin

I love this quote:

"Under a life threatening situation, you have to retreat and put yourself in a very precarious condition. It defies common sense,"

That's right because staying and shooting it out is going to be some much safer.
The change to the law does not say you can not withdraw. The inside the house and outside the house laws are rendered consistent by the change to the outside the house version of the law.

Old May 13th 2005, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
they don't have to pull a gun for you to feel threatened

http://www.oksenate.gov/news/Nationa...m20041031.html
That's an anti-burglar law, which I would fully support. Just as I would support a law which allowed you to shoot someone who tried to get into your car at a set of traffic lights.
Old May 13th 2005, 9:31 pm
Franklin

... and as a matter of law your legal analysis is wrong. There is no requirement in law that the attacker has to have the upperhand already. No such requirement.

Old May 13th 2005, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Franklin
... and as a matter of law your legal analysis is wrong. There is no requirement in law that the attacker has to have the upperhand already. No such requirement.
I'm not really talking about that, 'upperhand' is just a phrase I would use when talking about what constitutes a threat. The trouble is the law is too vague on what constitutes a threat, it could be someone calling you names from the other side of the road if you're that sensitive, or it could be someone pointing a gun in your face from three feet away.
Old May 13th 2005, 9:36 pm
Franklin

That's an anti-burglar law, which I would fully support. Just as I would support a law which allowed you to shoot someone who tried to get into your car at a set of traffic lights.
This happened to a friend's uncle at a set of lights in FL. Someone tried to car jack his car; under the new law this uncle could have opened fire the moment someone attempted to jack his car since many car jackers carry guns. Thus, there is no need to actually see a gun waved in your face by a car jacker to have a reasonable fear of being shot by the car jacker. Soon as someone tries to drag you out of your car you can use lethal force so long as you had a reasonable fear of death or serious injury to your person.

Last edited by Franklin; May 13th 2005 at 9:39 pm.

Old May 13th 2005, 9:37 pm
Franklin

I'm not really talking about that, 'upperhand' is just a phrase I would use when talking about what constitutes a threat. The trouble is the law is too vague on what constitutes a threat, it could be someone calling you names from the other side of the road if you're that sensitive, or it could be someone pointing a gun in your face from three feet away.
No, you are wrong again. The law is very specific on that point. The term of art is "reasonable" ... what a reasonable person would think in like or similar circumstances. The law is quite specific. Wrong again.

Old May 13th 2005, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, you are wrong again. The law is very specific on that point. The term of art is "reasonable" ... what a reasonable person would think in like or similar circumstances. The law is quite specific. Wrong again.
But it's not defined so surely what one person thinks is reasonable is not reasonable in another person's view.
Old May 13th 2005, 9:44 pm
Franklin

But it's not defined so surely what one person thinks is reasonable is not reasonable in another person's view.
Wrong again, the reasonable person is just that ... not your view, not the view of the defendant or the plaintiff, but the view of a hypothetical person who is a reasonable person place in like or similar circumstances, e.g., would a reasonable person in the shoes of the defendant believe his/her life is threatened. The reasonable person is a made up legal person. So you are wrong again. The attributes of the reasonable person is fact dependent, and it is the fact finder who decides what those attributes are, not you or the defendant or the plaintiff, but the fact finder.

Old May 13th 2005, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wrong again, the reasonable person is just that ... not your view, not the view of the defendant or the plaintiff, but the view of a hypothetical person who is a reasonable person place in like or similar circumstances, e.g., would a reasonable person in the shoes of the defendant believe his/her life is threatened. The reasonable person is a made up legal person. So you are wrong again. The attributes of the reasonable person is fact dependent, and it is the fact finder who decides what those attributes are, not you or the defendant or the plaintiff, but the fact finder.
OK, OK you've lost me. So who makes the decision if it's not written in law what is reasonable? Someone would surely have to? No?

BTW: You have quite a condescending attitude, this is a light hearted discussion.
Old May 13th 2005, 9:59 pm
Franklin

Give me one situation where you'll feel threatened enough to pull a gun where the other person won't have the upperhand already.
Dead easy mate. There once was a man who pulled out a gun and shot a man that just dropped into his place. That man was a Vicar, the gun was in a desk drawer. The Vicar pulled out the gun and shot a man who had just fallen through the roof of "his" church hall. The Chicago cops said it was a "good shoot" or words like that. I thought at the time it was not a good shoot, the man that had fallen onto the floor was probably not in a condition to threaten the life of the Vicar or those near the Vicar. The matter did not even go to trial.

If someone illegally enters your house in the dead of night and smashes something (perhaps by knocking something over in the dark because the house and its layout was unfamiliar to the someone who illegally entered your house in the dead of night). You could creep downstairs holding a gun and put the light on and shoot the man who illegally entered your house in the dead of night so long as you had a reasonable belief that you or a member of your family was threatened by the man who illegally entered your house in the dead of night.

Last edited by Franklin; May 13th 2005 at 10:03 pm.

Old May 13th 2005, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dead easy mate. There once was a man who pulled out a gun and shot a man that just dropped into his place. That man was a Vicar, the gun was in a desk drawer. The Vicar pulled out the gun and shot a man who had just fallen through the roof of "his" church hall. The Chicago cops said it was a "good shoot" or words like that. I thought at the time it was not a good shoot, the man that had fallen onto the floor was probably not in a condition to threaten the life of the Vicar or those near the Vicar (but I was thinking like a Brit with no actual knowledge of the rule of law). The matter did not even go to trial.

If someone illegally enters you house in the dead of night and smashes something (perhaps by knocking something over in the dark because the house and its layout was unfamiliar to the someone who illegally entered your house in the dead of night). You could creep downstairs holding a gun and put the light on and shoot the man who illegally entered your house in the dead of night so long as you had a reasonable belief that you or a member of your family was threatened by the man who illegally entered your house in the dead of night. You are consistently wrong on this matter of law.
I wasn't talking about intruders, for which I would support a law which allowed you to shoot as I stated earlier.

I'm not here trying to give people legal advice, I would have liked people to come here and debate reasonably, but alas you seem to want to elevate yourself to that imagined higher-plane.
Old May 13th 2005, 10:11 pm
Franklin

OK, OK you've lost me. So who makes the decision if it's not written in law what is reasonable? Someone would surely have to? No?

BTW: You have quite a condescending attitude, this is a light hearted discussion.

.. and switching to subjective matter is a tactic used by those who don't have a strong rational argument based on the law. It is a tactic used by some lawyers when they can't put together a legal defense.

You are consistently applying non-existent law, and misquoting what the law actually says. I think it is now reasonable to conclude that you are incapable of rendering a rational legal analysis because of your penchant for applying anotherlimey law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.