Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Florida Gun Law

New Florida Gun Law

Old May 13th 2005, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Florida Gun Law

Originally Posted by Ray
Well of course they dont ... its not a self defence weapon .. its a novelty gun ...The most powerful handgun in the world ...People are buying it just cos it is ..having fired 6 rounds from one ..believe me you will never hit a damn thing .. and your wrist is going to be in pain for a day or two after firing it ...
For self defence you need something between a .380 and a 9mm

Really? But what if you have to shoot through the side of an armoured ve-hickle when the cops come to arrest you for "Breach of the peace"!
Old May 13th 2005, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
How would you get away with it? If someone hits your car, that's no reason to feel your life was threatened.
There could be, it all depends.

And you just need to raise the uncertainty.
Old May 13th 2005, 7:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Really? But what if you have to shoot through the side of an armoured ve-hickle when the cops come to arrest you for "Breach of the peace"!
Dan I think you need some gun experiece ...drive up and I'll take to you a range ...
Old May 13th 2005, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There could be, it all depends.

And you just need to raise the uncertainty.
The problem is people feel threatened by different things. Imagine this scenario:

Girl driving home at night, car bumps girl's car [accidently] from behind, girl pulls over in well lit and well used area, young black male gets out of second car girl feels threatened pulls a gun and shoots him.

So was she right? No.
Old May 13th 2005, 7:49 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is people feel threatened by different things. Imagine this scenario:

Girl driving home at night, car bumps girl's car [accidently] from behind, girl pulls over in well lit and well used area, young black male gets out of second car girl feels threatened pulls a gun and shoots him.

So was she right? No.
In your opinion....
Old May 13th 2005, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
In your opinion....
And there lies the problem.

This law will protect some nervous jittery gun carriers when they unload through their front door at the postman.
Old May 13th 2005, 7:56 pm
Ray

And there lies the problem.

This law will protect some nervous jittery gun carriers when they unload through their front door at the postman.
What you have to remember unlike other states our permit are
Concealed Weapon/Firearm licenses.. it not just for guns ...
A lot of people just carry pepper spray or stun guns ..
very effective without being deadly...
Old May 13th 2005, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
What you have to remember unlike other states our permit are
Concealed Weapon/Firearm licenses.. it not just for guns ...
A lot of people just carry pepper spray or stun guns ..
very effective without being deadly...
I didn't realise the concealed weapons law covered non-leathal weapons. But surely this new law is just for guns?
Old May 13th 2005, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Dan I think you need some gun experiece ...drive up and I'll take to you a range ...
I'm pulling your leg Ray I've had enough gun experience to last a lifetime nipping around various warzones in the army! Not even got a gun here, if I was to get one it'd be a 9mm of the type I'm used to.
Old May 13th 2005, 8:16 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Dan725
I'm pulling your leg Ray I've had enough gun experience to last a lifetime nipping around various warzones in the army! Not even got a gun here, if I was to get one it'd be a 9mm of the type I'm used to.
I know that ..they didn't
Old May 13th 2005, 8:26 pm
Ray

I didn't realise the concealed weapons law covered non-leathal weapons. But surely this new law is just for guns?
Have you actually read the bill SB 436 and I don't mean the Sun newspaper style version ... like all these things it not quite like the anti gun brigade would have you believe
Old May 13th 2005, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
Have you actually read the bill SB 436 and I don't mean the Sun newspaper style version ... like all these things it not quite like the anti gun brigade would have you believe
Well the bill says you're entitled to use force that may cause severe injury or death, so you could not use a gun, but a gun is what the anti-gun lobby worry about.

The exact text of the part everyone is concerned about is:

providing that a person is justified in using deadly force under certain circumstances;declaring that a person is not under a duty to retreat if the person is in a place where he or she has a right to be;
from http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/view...billtext/html/
Old May 13th 2005, 8:51 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise the concealed weapons law covered non-leathal weapons.
Oops neither did I
Old May 13th 2005, 9:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

How would you get away with it? If someone hits your car, that's no reason to feel your life was threatened.
depends on the neighbourhood don't it...
It's a pretty common car jacking scam to shunt a car at the lights and when owner gets out to say Oi and do insurance, they get a gun put in there face and the motor stolen...
Old May 13th 2005, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
depends on the neighbourhood don't it...
It's a pretty common car jacking scam to shunt a car at the lights and when owner gets out to say Oi and do insurance, they get a gun put in there face and the motor stolen...
But then you're not in danger until the guy pulls the gun, by which time you're f***** already.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.