Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Experiences?

New Experiences?

Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:22 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Experiences?

Originally Posted by Bob
So what new things have you lot done since you've come over here that you wouldn't have done at blighty, or had the chance to?

Mowed the lawn in December.
Gone to a beach just to watch the sunset.
Become proficient at Pool and thereby learned to drink 2 Coors Lite Pitchers without mentioning Bass and Marstons.
Driven cars with automatic gearboxes.
Had several Hurricane Parties.
Been blacked out for a week.
Bought a generator.
Gone swimming in my own back yard.
Not gone sledging.
Not frozen my ass off 6 months of the year.
Gone SCUBA diving in the same Country I live in without a Dry Suit.

there must be a lot more.......................
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

monk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, I know what you mean about the driving, do loads more of it, don't even think about it that much which is scary too

And Daily Show, that's great, closest thing to Have I got News for you over here, with the piss takes
Even more scary when you look at the way people drive in this country My husband and i always look to see who can find the most offensive looking vehicals (It's a close one, the Hummer or those stupid truck's with the really obnoxious lift's on them!!)
I wish they would put the daily show on at a better time.I love the fact that Jon make's GWB look like an even bigger pratt that he already does on his own. (Jon, we Salute you ).
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:01 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
My all time favourite band is Manassas (Stephen Stills and a few others) on one of his 'breaks' from CSN.
They only made two albums.
I saw them in London in the late 70s.
The front cover of their album produced in 1974 was a picture of the band taken on Manassas railway station in Virginia (until I came over here I had no idea what or where Manassas was)
I happened to be in Manassas a couple of weeks ago with a bit of time to kill and went to the railway station which was exactly as it was in 1974 and probably 100 years ago.
It was strange seeing it.
That's it
Does that make me a sad bastard ?
No Roger. Makes you a musical anorak!

NC Penguin
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:08 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

One new "skill" that I've had to adapt to since moving to the US is:

learning to handle a firearm safely
learn to load a pistol
learn to shoot pistols
go shopping for ammo...

This is not what I want to do but it is a necessity since the firearms in my household (legally, I hasten to add).

Also, I have lived through an icestorm with no electricity for over a week. This would never have happened where I lived in the UK (both the icestorm and having no power for such a length of time).

There were no good Mexican restaurants in London and fortunately, I am spoilt for choice for authentic Mexican, Salvadorean and other Latino cuisine AND I'm nowhere near the Mexican border!

NC Penguin

Last edited by NC Penguin; Jan 13th 2005 at 8:11 pm. Reason: Additions
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:17 pm

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
One new "skill" that I've had to adapt to since moving to the US is:

learning to handle a firearm safely
learn to load a pistol
learn to shoot pistols
go shopping for ammo...

This is not what I want to do but it is a necessity since the firearms in my household (legally, I hasten to add).

Also, I have lived through an icestorm with no electricity for over a week. This would never have happened where I lived in the UK (both the icestorm and having no power for such a length of time).

There were no good Mexican restaurants in London and fortunately, I am spoilt for choice for authentic Mexican, Salvadorean and other Latino cuisine AND I'm nowhere near the Mexican border!

NC Penguin
I have to ask this one - why do you have a pistol in your household ?
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:25 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I have to ask this one - why do you have a pistol in your household ?
This is one of my spouse's rekindled interests from his young adulthood. As the pistols are weapons, it is my responsibility to know how to use them and handle them safely.

I can't ignore the fact that they're under my roof. It only seems appropriate and logical to become comfortable with them, instead of turning the other cheek.

I do not live in a dangerous neighborhood but I want to be ready to arm myself should the occasion ever arise.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:31 pm

This is one of my spouse's rekindled interests from his young adulthood. As the pistols are weapons, it is my responsibility to know how to use them and handle them safely.

I can't ignore the fact that they're under my roof. It only seems appropriate and logical to become comfortable with them, instead of turning the other cheek.

I do not live in a dangerous neighborhood but I want to be ready to arm myself should the occasion ever arise.

NC Penguin
I wish everyone around here who had firearms in the house had such a sensible approach to learning gun safety.

Last year I appraised a truck, the owner left it running and unattended in the car park. When I opened the driver's door (left unlocked) I found there was a Glock (presumably loaded) clipped to the door's map pocket.

He probably thought nothing of it.

Stupid Redneck.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:44 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: New Experiences?

NC Penguin
thats one of the great things i love about being in LA, authentic mexican food - i managed to find a couple of mexican resturants in england (midlands) but they are crap by comparison!!!

Ant
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:57 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Bob
So what new things have you lot done since you've come over here that you wouldn't have done at blighty, or had the chance to?

*snip*
Somewhat inverse experience ... no need to trim the hedge or mow the cat "enriched" front and back gardens. Used to keep Sainsbury and Safeway plastic bags for the "pleasure" of picking or scrapping the stuff up. The "funny" thing about this was that we didn't have a cat. I put down a few passive anti-cat smells, but none seemed to work (one of my brothers loved cats, and I think the local cats liked him to the extent they would honour him by crapping all around our house.

Hmmmm, memories flooding back ... as a kid growing up my parents were pretty much dirt poor and we barely got by ... we lived on some pretty bad council estates, what is it with crappy council estates and dog crap growing old on front gardens for all to see and "admire". I once made the mistake of visiting someone after it had gone dark and sadly I did not see the dog mess on the pathway leading to their front door. I would usually remove my shoes, but this house did not have any carpet and I had socks on that would slip on the tiles which were hardly kept clean (the mother mostly stayed glued to the living room couch and watched no end of TV, not like my mum who cleaned everything everyday) so I sheepishly kept my shoes on. I left a trail all through their house. Smelly stuff too. The father apologized most profusely and washed my shoes off under a hot kitchen tap. I didn't smell any chlorine (bleach).

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Jan 13th 2005 at 9:10 pm.

Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:59 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by antjen
thats one of the great things i love about being in LA, authentic mexican food - i managed to find a couple of mexican resturants in england (midlands) but they are crap by comparison!!!

Ant
Even before I ate authentic Mexican over here, I just knew that La Perla, the oldest Mexican restaurant in the UK was a bit off the mark. They did have a great selection of tequilas though!

NC Penguin
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:59 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I am devastated to have missed on the new "dogging" craze currently sweeping the UK.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:02 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Manc
I am devastated to have missed on the new "dogging" craze currently sweeping the UK.

Ahhhhh, to be young!

Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:04 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New Experiences?

Originally Posted by Manc
well im sure u could start the whole dogging 'scene' off over here??

Ant
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monk
Even more scary when you look at the way people drive in this country My husband and i always look to see who can find the most offensive looking vehicals (It's a close one, the Hummer or those stupid truck's with the really obnoxious lift's on them!!)
Hmmm....the Magnum, whoever makes that, that looks pretty stupid, like a pimped up hearse
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

monk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bob
Hmmm....the Magnum, whoever makes that, that looks pretty stupid, like a pimped up hearse
Don't say that my husband want's to trade in our Jeep for one of those, now all i will be able to think about is "i see dead people" :scared: .Oh i hate the Honda Element, remind's me of the equally hidious Fiat multipla from back home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.