Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Experiences?

Wikiposts

New Experiences?

Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Experiences?

So what new things have you lot done since you've come over here that you wouldn't have done at blighty, or had the chance to?

Saw a hocky game the other day, Portland Pirates, weren't half bad when being there live, got to say though, most disappointed, there weren't any penalties or a single fight, which was a shame, but it was still a good laugh. Other weird things I noticed, there wasn't a single away fan travel up for it, the away team were springfield falcons out in Mass...so not that far a drive...oh, and the fans were so polite, nothing like being at a footie game...but then again, a couple people did throw in the odd chant by the time the third period came around and they got drunk....certainly need to learn some chants over here
Old Jan 13th 2005, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Hugh Jaas will become famous soon enoughHugh Jaas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Experiences?

Originally Posted by Bob
So what new things have you lot done since you've come over here that you wouldn't have done at blighty, or had the chance to?

Been to the beach more times ,in our 2 months here, than I've ever been in my entire life! and i lived in New Brighton(Wirral) for nearly 6 years.

Saw Dolphins a few hundred yards from where we were sitting frolicking in the surf( do Dolphins Frolick?)

We found oursleves going out a lot more here, maybe that will subside with time.( good weather plays a big part in that)

Does an In&out Burger count? I dont know of any in the UK( yeah, thats right living life on the edge there!)
Old Jan 13th 2005, 4:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hugh Jaas
We found oursleves going out a lot more here, maybe that will subside with time.( good weather plays a big part in that)
Certainly lot cheaper eating out over here, but that didn't last when there's only one salary *l*
Old Jan 13th 2005, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

My all time favourite band is Manassas (Stephen Stills and a few others) on one of his 'breaks' from CSN.
They only made two albums.
I saw them in London in the late 70s.
The front cover of their album produced in 1974 was a picture of the band taken on Manassas railway station in Virginia (until I came over here I had no idea what or where Manassas was)
I happened to be in Manassas a couple of weeks ago with a bit of time to kill and went to the railway station which was exactly as it was in 1974 and probably 100 years ago.
It was strange seeing it.
That's it
Does that make me a sad bastard ?
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Suess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
My all time favourite band is Manassas (Stephen Stills and a few others) on one of his 'breaks' from CSN.
They only made two albums.
I saw them in London in the late 70s.
The front cover of their album produced in 1974 was a picture of the band taken on Manassas railway station in Virginia (until I came over here I had no idea what or where Manassas was)
I happened to be in Manassas a couple of weeks ago with a bit of time to kill and went to the railway station which was exactly as it was in 1974 and probably 100 years ago.
It was strange seeing it.
That's it
Not at all. I remember Manassas well. I just pulled out the album to have a look. For some reason that album cover has always stuck in my head. I had no idea it was in Virginia.

My new experience happen at the summer when we went down to the beach in Delaware. I got knocked over by a giant breaker and nearly drowned
(OK, slight exaggeration). I had no idea of the power of the ocean. I grew up on the edge of London and our nearest "beach" was Southend!!! No comparsion. I lived for 30 years in Scotland on the coast but it was to dam cold to venture in very often and if you did brave it the breakers were timid.

Sue
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
M
naaa...just a bit of time on your hands
So what was the town like anyway? read a few books on the civil war and sounded like it could be an interesting visit...
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
naaa...just a bit of time on your hands
So what was the town like anyway? read a few books on the civil war and sounded like it could be an interesting visit...

Didn't see too much, it was dark !!
Manassas is only 16/17 miles south of DC
Bull Run of course is in Manassas (or on the outskirts) the town itself was really pretty, it was just before Xmas and it had a "Christmas olde worlde" feel
On the outskirts a bit if a shit hole from what I saw, lots of car dealerships, malls etc and plenty of NEON.
You're right I did have a bit of time on my hands and Giant there sell Crumpets !!!
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:24 am
Just Joined

monk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bob

Saw a hocky game the other day, Portland Pirates, weren't half bad when being there live, got to say though, most disappointed, there weren't any penalties or a single fight, which was a shame, but it was still a good laugh. Other weird things I noticed, there wasn't a single away fan travel up for it, the away team were springfield falcons out in Mass...so not that far a drive...oh, and the fans were so polite, nothing like being at a footie game...but then again, a couple people did throw in the odd chant by the time the third period came around and they got drunk....certainly need to learn some chants over here
Drive 11 hour's to see my in-law's (in VA).Not that i don't like them they are really nice, but if you had ask me to drive 11 hours in England (well, i probably would have fell into the sea!) i would of told you where to get off. walking along the beach in Florida on new years eve wearing a t-shirt, very surreal.Oh and have been able to afford an SUV and a house come to think of it, especially the one the size that i have, could never have had any of these thing's in the UK.Oh yer and watched The Daily Show (Jon stewart is a genius, actually do they have the Daily Show in Enlgland, if not they should).
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by monk
... if you had ask me to drive 11 hours in England (well, i probably would have fell into the sea!) i would of told you where to get off.

...The Daily Show (Jon stewart is a genius, actually do they have the Daily Show in Enlgland, if not they should).
Aye, I know what you mean about the driving, do loads more of it, don't even think about it that much which is scary too

And Daily Show, that's great, closest thing to Have I got News for you over here, with the piss takes
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I guess learning to drive counts. Since I learn't, I have become the primary driver in our house and have often driven 4 to 5 hours up to Vegas or Laughlin
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:45 am
'ey up flower

englishrosebud will become famous soon enough

Camping. That's a new one for me.

Well unless you count being forced to stay in a 2 man tent with your Mum, Dad and sister, in a soggy field in Derbyshire in the pissing rain. Having to walk 500 yards to the shower block to use the loo or take a cold shower in the pissing rain. Having to listen to the pissing rain beating down on the top of the tent all night, and feeling it soaking through my sleeping bag. (Did I mention the pissing rain?)

Is it surprising I didn't jump for joy when my husband suggested a camping trip?

But wait....camping 'American style', is a whole different kettle of fish I 've found out. 35 foot trailer, full size shower, big comfy bed, sofa, cable TV and a microwave. Camping huh....don't know they're born !!!!

I think this might be a new experience I'll do again
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:51 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Owning/driving a truck! (or should I say, "a trerrck")
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by englishrosebud
Camping. That's a new one for me.

Well unless you count being forced to stay in a 2 man tent with your Mum, Dad and sister, in a soggy field in Derbyshire in the pissing rain. Having to walk 500 yards to the shower block to use the loo or take a cold shower in the pissing rain. Having to listen to the pissing rain beating down on the top of the tent all night, and feeling it soaking through my sleeping bag. (Did I mention the pissing rain?)

Is it surprising I didn't jump for joy when my husband suggested a camping trip?

But wait....camping 'American style', is a whole different kettle of fish I 've found out. 35 foot trailer, full size shower, big comfy bed, sofa, cable TV and a microwave. Camping huh....don't know they're born !!!!

I think this might be a new experience I'll do again
Haven't tried the camping yet, but me and the hubby brought a tent last year with the intention of going, but am a bit put off by the gators, cotton mouth's,watermoccossin's and every other horrid creature this country has,don't fancy being bitten on the arse while doing my buisness either.Actually was more put off by the fact my husband picked up a small spade , so i asked him what for, was quite upset by his reply, trust me, i am not digging a hole to use as a toilet, was bad enough when i was in Singapore and i went to use the laddies and there was a hole and 2 footprint's, thought i had gone into the shower by mistake .
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:03 am
'ey up flower

englishrosebud will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by monk
Haven't tried the camping yet, but me and the hubby brought a tent last year with the intention of going, but am a bit put off by the gators, cotton mouth's,watermoccossin's and every other horrid creature this country has,don't fancy being bitten on the arse while doing my buisness either.Actually was more put off by the fact my husband picked up a small spade , so i asked him what for, was quite upset by his reply, trust me, i am not digging a hole to use as a toilet, was bad enough when i was in Singapore and i went to use the laddies and there was a hole and 2 footprint's, thought i had gone into the shower by mistake .

I hear ya Monk. Gators would put me off. Thank god they cant climb the trailer steps.

I spent a year backpacking round SE Asia, and I NEVER want to see another squat bog EVER !!! It improved the muscles in my thighs though, and my aim
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:14 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=englishrosebud]I hear ya Monk. Gators would put me off. Thank god they cant climb the trailer steps.

Don't mean to scare u but i have heard rumor's that they can actually climb, but don't know how true it is ,not sure that i am quite ready to take that chance yet, but have actually come face to face with one since i have been here "fasinating creature's" but got closer that i wanted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.