Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New expat in Tucson

New expat in Tucson

Old May 10th 2006, 6:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New expat in Tucson

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hehe. This could turn into the 3rd American Idol thread. LOL
Seriously: I think I'd rather mow the lawn than watch AI!!
Old May 10th 2006, 7:04 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hehe. This could turn into the 3rd American Idol thread. LOL

Well we'd only be on the second thread had it not been for someone misunderstanding what 'last page' meant!
Old May 10th 2006, 7:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Seriously: I think I'd rather mow the lawn than watch AI!!
OMG I wouldn't go that far.
Old May 10th 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone. Nice to see there's some active Brits in Arizona! I moved to Tucson since that is where the job is (at the U of A). People here don't think much of Phoenix. "hotter, lower and full of big scorpions" is how one person described it. I can' t really comment until I've been there though! I plan on spending some time in Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon.... is it hot up there yet?! When would be a good time to go? I'm here for three years so there's no rush to see some of the sights.
Old May 10th 2006, 7:44 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Hey everyone. Nice to see there's some active Brits in Arizona! I moved to Tucson since that is where the job is (at the U of A). People here don't think much of Phoenix. "hotter, lower and full of big scorpions" is how one person described it. I can' t really comment until I've been there though! I plan on spending some time in Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon.... is it hot up there yet?! When would be a good time to go? I'm here for three years so there's no rush to see some of the sights.

Just remember that it is always cooler in Flagstaff than it is in Phoenix or Tucson (not much sometimes but enough!). If you want to see snow in the winter then head to Flagstaff, if you want to see the Grand canyon with snow on it, same thing. You can head up there anytime really and enjoy yourself, just remember that during tourist season it is mobbed at the GC.
Old May 10th 2006, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Just remember that it is always cooler in Flagstaff than it is in Phoenix or Tucson (not much sometimes but enough!). If you want to see snow in the winter then head to Flagstaff, if you want to see the Grand canyon with snow on it, same thing. You can head up there anytime really and enjoy yourself, just remember that during tourist season it is mobbed at the GC.
So Memorial Weekend would be a crap time to go then?!
Old May 10th 2006, 7:46 pm
Blondie22

So Memorial Weekend would be a crap time to go then?!

You're going to be fighting for somewhere to actually look over and see the Canyon possibly!
Old May 10th 2006, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

You're going to be fighting for somewhere to actually look over and see the Canyon possibly!
Pfff I'll wait until autumn then! It's been there for millions of years, it's not going anywhere any time soon
Old May 10th 2006, 8:47 pm
Blondie22

Pfff I'll wait until autumn then! It's been there for millions of years, it's not going anywhere any time soon

LOL, good point!
Old May 10th 2006, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute

Good time to visit Flagstaff from your point of view will be anytime in the heart of your summer, it is quite a bit cooler up here though still nice in summer and you will appreciate the rest from the heat. Grand Canyon isn't too much cooler btw especially not inside
Old May 10th 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aznewsh
Good time to visit Flagstaff from your point of view will be anytime in the heart of your summer, it is quite a bit cooler up here though still nice in summer and you will appreciate the rest from the heat. Grand Canyon isn't too much cooler btw especially not inside
Hmm.... is there enough in Flagstaff to give me a cool and relaxed Memorial Day long weekend trip, whilst saving the GC for later in the year? My family are coming to visit in the autumn and they will want to go to the GC so perhaps I should save it up until then...
Old May 10th 2006, 9:47 pm
Blondie22

Hmm.... is there enough in Flagstaff to give me a cool and relaxed Memorial Day long weekend trip, whilst saving the GC for later in the year? My family are coming to visit in the autumn and they will want to go to the GC so perhaps I should save it up until then...

As far as the GC goes, Once is great, twice is okay, third time and on, IT"S JUST A BIG HOLE IN THE GROUND!
Old May 11th 2006, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

As far as the GC goes, Once is great, twice is okay, third time and on, IT"S JUST A BIG HOLE IN THE GROUND!
Somehow using the word 'big' to describe the GC is not quite enough. Humongouf**ckinginormous would perhaps be more appropriate.
Old May 11th 2006, 12:14 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Somehow using the word 'big' to describe the GC is not quite enough. Humongouf**ckinginormous would perhaps be more appropriate.
True, but following that with "hole in the ground" still applies.

Went there, saw it, was impressed, got in the car and drove to Navajo National Monument to camp... and nearly froze to death! That was November. Never again.
Old May 11th 2006, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Hello everyone,

Last month some of you helped me out to find a decent moving company for my stuff as I moved from Sunderland to Tucson.... well I'm finally here and so far so good. I'd be interested to hear if there are any other Brits here in Tucson. Most locals look at me as if I'm from Mars when I open my mouth and then quizzically enquire "you're not American, are you?" before proudly declaring that I'm Australian.

So if there are any Brits here who would like to swap stories about where to get the best tea in Tucson, and to pass on stories about failed attempts at irony, please get in touch
Hi I'm from Newcastle and living in Tucson, been here two years nearly and fairly well settled on any given day.
Prepare yourself for the onset of summer, its going to hit the triple digits this week I believe.
The are a couple of places to get your tea, world market
(broadway and wilmot) keeps a reasonable selection of british goods and are far more reasonable than the special english store Tudor Rose(craycroft and 29th) but she keeps other things that make it well worth a visit and she does lunch and once a month on a friday evening she does fish and chips and its not bad!!!
PM me if i can be of any help or you need anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.