Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New expat in Tucson

New expat in Tucson

Old May 11th 2006, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New expat in Tucson

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Hmm.... is there enough in Flagstaff to give me a cool and relaxed Memorial Day long weekend trip, whilst saving the GC for later in the year? My family are coming to visit in the autumn and they will want to go to the GC so perhaps I should save it up until then...

Kinda depends what you like doing really, could always check out Sedona and Jerome en-route. But I would say the answer is yes. Is there enough to do in Flagstaff if you live here year round, now that's a different question, one I am addressing right now.
Old May 11th 2006, 6:01 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aznewsh
Well, i am not in Tucson but I do get down there occasionally since my fiancee's parents live there. I am up in the mountains in Flagstaff, let me know if you are up this way. I highly recommend it. Take no notice of the folks from Phoenix asking why Tucson. Tucson is a much nicer place than the concrete superheated jungle that is Phoenix. We are actually considering relocating to Tucson ourselves.

So far as best tea in Tucson that would probably be the Tudor Rose Tearoom - here: http://hometown.aol.com/troomuk/ It's a quirky little place but we usually enjoy a visit when there.

I am pretty sure that I have noticed at least a couple of people posting here from Tucson.

Enjoy, you will love it there
Cheers for the link, I'll be going there on my next trip to Tucson!
Old May 11th 2006, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Sedona and Oak Creek are worth spending a day sight seeing around if you're heading to Flagstaff. Sedona is proberly one of the most picturesque places in the country.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:15 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Sedona and Oak Creek are worth spending a day sight seeing around if you're heading to Flagstaff. Sedona is proberly one of the most picturesque places in the country.
Slide Rock park is great too, if you go there in the summer take a swim suit, bug spray & go float/slide down the river that runs through the park, ah luvly jubbly!
Old May 11th 2006, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.arizonasnowbowl.com/

worth a visit too - of course no snow right now but nice scenic chair ride
Old May 12th 2006, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Last month some of you helped me out to find a decent moving company for my stuff as I moved from Sunderland to Tucson.... well I'm finally here and so far so good. I'd be interested to hear if there are any other Brits here in Tucson. Most locals look at me as if I'm from Mars when I open my mouth and then quizzically enquire "you're not American, are you?" before proudly declaring that I'm Australian.

So if there are any Brits here who would like to swap stories about where to get the best tea in Tucson, and to pass on stories about failed attempts at irony, please get in touch
Plenty of Brits in Tucson and the surrounding areas,go to any of the Darts bars on Broadway or Speedway and you should find some.
Old May 12th 2006, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, two north-easterners in the same small part of the world. It's like an invasion! I've heard about this Tudor Rose place, but I'm skeptical about decent fish in the desert...

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
Hi I'm from Newcastle and living in Tucson, been here two years nearly and fairly well settled on any given day.
Prepare yourself for the onset of summer, its going to hit the triple digits this week I believe.
The are a couple of places to get your tea, world market
(broadway and wilmot) keeps a reasonable selection of british goods and are far more reasonable than the special english store Tudor Rose(craycroft and 29th) but she keeps other things that make it well worth a visit and she does lunch and once a month on a friday evening she does fish and chips and its not bad!!!
PM me if i can be of any help or you need anything.
Old May 13th 2006, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Heather142 will become famous soon enoughHeather142 will become famous soon enough

Wow, two north-easterners in the same small part of the world. It's like an invasion! I've heard about this Tudor Rose place, but I'm skeptical about decent fish in the desert...

I'm a bit sceptical about decent fish and chips in the desert too .. but guess I might just have to give it a try.

Hi I'm another expat in Tucson. Lived in London for 20 years before moving out here. I share the accent dilemma ... I'm an Ozzie too.

Welcome to Tucson and enjoy the summer!
Old May 13th 2006, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Truthfully its not bad, i've been today and got cornish paties, my hubby and kids loved them, its starting to warm up now, be prepared for our dry heat.
Old May 13th 2006, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Truthfully its not bad, i've been today and got cornish paties, my hubby and kids loved them, its starting to warm up now, be prepared for our dry heat.
Mmmm Cornish pasties, from Tudor Rose?

I have an 'international pot luck' on Wednesday. I can't enthuse them about tripe and black pudding, so as my contribution I was going to try home-made pease pudding on a ham stottie, if I can find anything that resembles a stottie here. If not, Cornish pasties it is!

Everyone keeps telling me "just wait until it's hot". Actually I'm taking it OK -was in long sleeved shirt and trousers today!
Old May 13th 2006, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Mmmm Cornish pasties, from Tudor Rose?

I have an 'international pot luck' on Wednesday. I can't enthuse them about tripe and black pudding, so as my contribution I was going to try home-made pease pudding on a ham stottie, if I can find anything that resembles a stottie here. If not, Cornish pasties it is!

Everyone keeps telling me "just wait until it's hot". Actually I'm taking it OK -was in long sleeved shirt and trousers today!
I always take sheperds pie to potluck's they love it, it was interesting when i took curry but that went down a storm too.
Old May 13th 2006, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Trouble with shepherds pie is it's a lunchtime thing. I'm not sure cold shepherds pie would taste too good, although there is a microwave to reheat it again.

I always take sheperds pie to potluck's they love it, it was interesting when i took curry but that went down a storm too.
Old May 13th 2006, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot

Try here - maybe 1/2 hr south of Flagstaff...maybe a bit longer, cant remember.

http://www.nps.gov/moca/