Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Expat - Saving/Retirement Considerations

New Expat - Saving/Retirement Considerations

Old Jan 8th 2020, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Expat - Saving/Retirement Considerations

Originally Posted by Owen778
None of the 401ks for which I know the details have any additional fees or reduced investments for former employees. There are still plenty of really bad 401k plans out there, but many of them are small business plans from high-cost providers. Most big businesses have the negotiating power and these days have the knowledge and awareness of their fiduciary responsibilities to choose low-cost plans from Vanguard / Fidelity / Schwab etc., or at least to negotiate a decent plan from a higher-cost provider. I think it's much better advice to check your 401k's fees after you leave and move the funds if needed. "You should move it to an IRA" is not good general advice, especially since it complicates use of a backdoor Roth IRA or 401k.
Every 401k I've seen has a reduced amount of options than the open market in an IRA. There are thousands of funds out there compared to 10 or whatever you may find in a 401k.

Complicating the use of a backdoor Roth is a non issue. You can roll the traditional 401k to a traditional IRA and then do a Roth conversion on that money. You're then all set up for a potential backdoor Roth strategy.

I think you're over complicating this entire concept. Analysis paralysis?
Old Jan 8th 2020, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Every 401k I've seen has a reduced amount of options than the open market in an IRA. There are thousands of funds out there compared to 10 or whatever you may find in a 401k.
But I don't need thousands of funds, and, arguably, neither does anyone else. Plus the ones available to me have better expense ratios than the equivalent in an IRA.
Complicating the use of a backdoor Roth is a non issue. You can roll the traditional 401k to a traditional IRA and then do a Roth conversion on that money. You're then all set up for a potential backdoor Roth strategy.
Not sure if you're joking, or don't understand how Roth conversion works. You have to pay tax at your marginal rate on the conversion. You'd have done better to never save the money in your 401k in the first place.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

But I don't need thousands of funds, and, arguably, neither does anyone else. Plus the ones available to me have better expense ratios than the equivalent in an IRA.
I'd rather pick a fund from thousands than a few. You know... The open market. I probably wouldn't pick the same index funds I have in my 401k.

Not sure if you're joking, or don't understand how Roth conversion works. You have to pay tax at your marginal rate on the conversion. You'd have done better to never save the money in your 401k in the first place.
I 100% know how a Roth conversion works. I also know the requirements for a backdoor Roth that you decided to explore. Go back and read your own post. You seem to think rolling over a 401k to an IRA complicates a backdoor Roth. It doesn't.

I recommend for your 2019 taxes that you seek a competent accountant, because it's clear you don't know enough to do your own.

​​​
Old Jan 9th 2020, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

I 100% know how a Roth conversion works. I also know the requirements for a backdoor Roth that you decided to explore. Go back and read your own post. You seem to think rolling over a 401k to an IRA complicates a backdoor Roth. It doesn't.
If I decided to convert all of my pre-tax 401k to a Roth IRA this year, I'd have to pay income taxes on that conversion at my marginal rate. Assuming $300k at 32%, that's about $100k in taxes. I don't want to pay that, when I can instead wait until my marginal rate is much lower in retirement.

If I decided to transfer all of my pre-tax 401k to a traditional IRA this year, the IRS's pro-rata rule means I could not then contribute to a backdoor Roth IRA without either converting my traditional IRA to Roth (and again paying $100k), or leaving almost all of my new contributions as non-Roth after-tax contributions (which defeats the point). 401ks are not subject to the pro-rata rule. Here's an explanation: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/inve...-how-to-guide/
The pro-rata rule. The IRS requires rollovers from traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs to be done pro rata. Here’s how it works: When determining your tax bill on a conversion from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, the IRS is going to look at all of your traditional IRA accounts combined. If all of your traditional IRAs combined consist of, say, 70% pre-tax money and 30% after-tax money, that ratio determines what percentage of the money you convert to a Roth is going to be taxable. In this example, no matter how much money you convert or which IRA account you pull the money from, 70% of the amount you convert to the Roth will be taxable. You can’t choose to convert only after-tax money; the IRS won’t allow it. And a word about timing: the IRS applies the pro-rata rule to your total IRA balance at year-end, not at the time of conversion.

I recommend for your 2019 taxes that you seek a competent accountant, because it's clear you don't know enough to do your own.​​​
Are you a competent accountant? Or just someone trying to be condescending on the internet?

Old Jan 9th 2020, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

If I decided to convert all of my pre-tax 401k to a Roth IRA this year, I'd have to pay income taxes on that conversion at my marginal rate. Assuming $300k at 32%, that's about $100k in taxes. I don't want to pay that, when I can instead wait until my marginal rate is much lower in retirement.
Depending on your age and predicted growth (say 10% or so long term) it may be wise to get it out of the way, even at a higher tax rate than you anticipate in retirement - where there is no guarantees what the tax rates will be like.

If I decided to transfer all of my pre-tax 401k to a traditional IRA this year, the IRS's pro-rata rule means I could not then contribute to a backdoor Roth IRA without either converting my traditional IRA to Roth (and again paying $100k), or leaving almost all of my new contributions as non-Roth after-tax contributions (which defeats the point). 401ks are not subject to the pro-rata rule. Here's an explanation: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/inve...-how-to-guide/
I know. That's what I said in #16, albeit not in as much detail.

Are you a competent accountant? Or just someone trying to be condescending on the internet?
Not an accountant, but know enough to get by with my personal finances in a pragmatic fashion.

It's worth noting to folks that happen to read this that a backdoor Roth is a strategy for higher income earners. For majority of America it's not worth troubling with.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Depending on your age and predicted growth (say 10% or so long term) it may be wise to get it out of the way, even at a higher tax rate than you anticipate in retirement - where there is no guarantees what the tax rates will be like.
Tax rates can certainly change, it's a good point, but it would take a huge increase in tax for me to have a bigger marginal rate in retirement.
I know. That's what I said in #16, albeit not in as much detail.
You said it's a "non-issue", which is the opposite of what I said, but I'm glad we agree.
It's worth noting to folks that happen to read this that a backdoor Roth is a strategy for higher income earners. For majority of America it's not worth troubling with.
Agreed, it's pointless for anyone whose income means they can contribute directly to a Roth IRA, even if they do have the money for it.