Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New England vacation destinations

New England vacation destinations

Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

deniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to all
Default New England vacation destinations

Hi everyone,

I have 10 days starting next Friday in which to take a vacation and thought New England would be a nice place to go. We have relatives in Connecticut, New Canaan area. Can anyone recommend any good places to stay or sights to see? We would prefer nice but not too pricy for the hotel accomodations. We also love Bed and Breakfasts.

We will be driving. Any ideas would be soooo appreciated.

Oh, we'll drive through Ohio, Pennsylvania, NY, etc.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: New England vacation destinations

Originally Posted by deniseincarmel
Hi everyone,

I have 10 days starting next Friday in which to take a vacation and thought New England would be a nice place to go. We have relatives in Connecticut, New Canaan area. Can anyone recommend any good places to stay or sights to see? We would prefer nice but not too pricy for the hotel accomodations. We also love Bed and Breakfasts.

Q: How many days do you intend on staying with/close to the Relatives?

Otherwise, Vermont, Massachusettes and Maine are full of wonderful places to visit. I'll provide some ideas, once you dish out some more info.

Meanwhile, if you haven't seen it already, you could visit Niagara Falls on your way up or back from New England.

Jim.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

deniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to all
Default Re: New England vacation destinations

Well, we thought we'd maybe try to visit Amish Country on the way up in PA and then maybe stay a night in upstate NY or CT. We're open to suggestions in places that aren't too far for a day trip from New Canaan :-)
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 7:27 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you really want to see it ...don't come to Cape Cod in the summer...its a nightmare out there right now till Sept...if you do then there are a lot of rip off places to stay so be careful...
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by krizzy
Unless you really want to see it ...don't come to Cape Cod in the summer...its a nightmare out there right now till Sept...if you do then there are a lot of rip off places to stay so be careful...
Thanks, Krizzy! No, we're 'fraid of Cape Cod during the summer, too :-)

We're more looking for away from the beaten path--places not well known about.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:21 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deniseincarmel
Hi everyone,

Why don't you ask the relies in CT for suggestions?
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw New Canaan and thought poor you, but then it's the one in CT and not ME, that one, that really is the village of the damned meets deliverance

But now that I've put you off Maine. Bar Harbor is good on the coast, plenty of fun things like whale watches, mountains, lakes etc, cheap food and B&B's, and it'll still be fairly quiet till the end of the months as some of the schools haven't broken yet because of snow days. The whole coastal connector, Route 1/1a is a lovely scenic drive up through maine, which is a couple of hours north of Portland, which is a fun city to explore tool...and that's not that far from CT.

I-95 North up from CT, get off at the Portland mall road exit and cut through the mall and get on to I-295 (It's the next exit past I-295), it'll save you a toll and during the day is much quicker. Then you've got a couple of options, bang a right at Brunswick/Bath and go up Route 1 which puts you through the lovely towns of Rockland, Camden and Belfast...great places to eat through there, especially cheap lobster in Belfast at the lobster shack. The other option is keep up I-295 and exit at Augusta for Rt 202...Augusta is the capital, and apart from the Beale St bbq place, is a crapper. That'll throw you out at Belfast and you'll go past some lovely lakes instead of the coast.

It's quicker from Belfast to go over the bridge to Bucksport, to Ellesworth and Bar Harbor, but you'll find some fun towns going north to Bangor, and then heading right to Brewer and then south towards Ellesworth.

Anyway, plenty of islands out there that have fun and cheap things to do, and Arcadia National park is superb, and I think free before July, and well worth it to see the morning view from Cadillac Mountain, one of the earliest views of the sun rise in the US, but it's cold up there even in summer.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
I just saw New Canaan and thought poor you, but then it's the one in CT and not ME, that one, that really is the village of the damned meets deliverance

But now that I've put you off Maine. Bar Harbor is good on the coast, plenty of fun things like whale watches, mountains, lakes etc, cheap food and B&B's, and it'll still be fairly quiet till the end of the months as some of the schools haven't broken yet because of snow days. The whole coastal connector, Route 1/1a is a lovely scenic drive up through maine, which is a couple of hours north of Portland, which is a fun city to explore tool...and that's not that far from CT.

I-95 North up from CT, get off at the Portland mall road exit and cut through the mall and get on to I-295 (It's the next exit past I-295), it'll save you a toll and during the day is much quicker. Then you've got a couple of options, bang a right at Brunswick/Bath and go up Route 1 which puts you through the lovely towns of Rockland, Camden and Belfast...great places to eat through there, especially cheap lobster in Belfast at the lobster shack. The other option is keep up I-295 and exit at Augusta for Rt 202...Augusta is the capital, and apart from the Beale St bbq place, is a crapper. That'll throw you out at Belfast and you'll go past some lovely lakes instead of the coast.

It's quicker from Belfast to go over the bridge to Bucksport, to Ellesworth and Bar Harbor, but you'll find some fun towns going north to Bangor, and then heading right to Brewer and then south towards Ellesworth.

Anyway, plenty of islands out there that have fun and cheap things to do, and Arcadia National park is superb, and I think free before July, and well worth it to see the morning view from Cadillac Mountain, one of the earliest views of the sun rise in the US, but it's cold up there even in summer.
Wow! What great suggestions, Bob. Thanks! Will definitely look into those.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Lake George NY is the most beautiful lake on earth .............. and just a few miles away from the most beautiful bloke on earth ....... Me of course.

As for CT .... I sugest Mystic sea port and a stay at The Old Whalers Inn. You will need a couple of days there .......... very historic and old world place, Tall ships etc.

I could also recomand Lake Placid but thats just a few miles away from the ugliest bloke on earth :-)
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Easy drive and a lovely places to visit would be in and around the Berkshire Mountains in Massachusetts. Visit Lenox, Massachusetts and Tanglewood, the summer home of the Boston Symphony <sp>, Stockbridge, the home of Norman Rockwell. You can stroll the lovely streets, have lunch at the Red Lion Inn and visit the NR museum.

P.S. Lake George is lovely. Of course, it would have to be. Its where my hubby and I were married 9 years ago.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Easy drive and a lovely places to visit would be in and around the Berkshire Mountains in Massachusetts. Visit Lenox, Massachusetts and Tanglewood, the summer home of the Boston Symphony <sp>, Stockbridge, the home of Norman Rockwell. You can stroll the lovely streets, have lunch at the Red Lion Inn and visit the NR museum.

P.S. Lake George is lovely. Of course, it would have to be. Its where my hubby and I were married 9 years ago.
Awesome, Rete! I am checking into now...thx so much!!!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:24 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I like the look of Conway NH...I'm into stream trains..and the trip 5 hours long looks lovely...they also have a fun themed hotel there...
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Patrick, Lake George looks lovely. Thanks for the suggestion. That might work as well. Krizzy, it's not looking like NH this time around, but maybe on the next trip. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll put it in the file :-)
Old Jun 25th 2007, 4:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: New England vacation destinations

Originally Posted by krizzy
Ha ha......we're going up to Cape Cod for a couple of days for the 4th of July (our wedding anniversary).

Which are the worst of the rip-off places so we know to avoid them?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Lake George NY is the most beautiful lake on earth .............. and just a few miles away from the most beautiful bloke on earth ....... Me of course.

As for CT .... I sugest Mystic sea port and a stay at The Old Whalers Inn. You will need a couple of days there .......... very historic and old world place, Tall ships etc.

I could also recomand Lake Placid but thats just a few miles away from the ugliest bloke on earth :-)
Round one to PH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.