Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New England in the Fall

New England in the Fall

Old Sep 6th 2006, 12:30 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice
Default New England in the Fall

Will be in Boston and driving back to Toronto wekend of Sept 15 / 16th.

Will there be any colours worth seeing that that wont mean us going to far off our planned route home. Initially though of Southern Maine, Vermont, NH,
then pick up MY Turnpike to head home ?

Thanks in Advance.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 1:00 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New England in the Fall

Originally Posted by Buchan6

Will there be any colours worth seeing that that wont mean us going to far off our planned route home. Initially though of Southern Maine, Vermont, NH,

Thanks in Advance.
It's kind of early to see much colour in VT. The best time is the first 2 weeks in October, usually. They are just turning here. The red maples are bright and only a slight tinge to the others.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 1:37 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
It's kind of early to see much colour in VT. The best time is the first 2 weeks in October, usually. They are just turning here. The red maples are bright and only a slight tinge to the others.
If you want Vermont, I'd take either:

1. Mass. Rt. 2 to Williamstown, pick up route 7 and drive up into VT. Stop in Bennington for lunch. Nice and rural drive through Northern Massachusetts and the Mohawk Trail and Taconics are beautiful this time of year. If you keep heading up 7, you'll eventually hit Manchester which has great shopping and then (in a while) Middlebury which may be the definitive rural New England college town. from there, you can head over to Lake Champlain etc.
-or-
2. Pick up 91, head north, get off at Brattleboro and drive into Putney. Absolutely gorgeous little town with great restaurants and cool galleries. If you're feeling adventurous, head (much) further north to Stowe, my personal favorite ski town in Vt.

If you want NH, head to Franconia Notch, check out Mt. Washington, hike Tuckerman's Ravine, see the Flume etc.

As the previous poster noted, it's early to see good color but these areas are so beautiful it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by Hiro11; Sep 6th 2006 at 1:41 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 3:22 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hiro11
If you want Vermont, I'd take either:

1. Mass. Rt. 2 to Williamstown, pick up route 7 and drive up into VT. Stop in Bennington for lunch. Nice and rural drive through Northern Massachusetts and the Mohawk Trail and Taconics are beautiful this time of year. If you keep heading up 7, you'll eventually hit Manchester which has great shopping and then (in a while) Middlebury which may be the definitive rural New England college town. from there, you can head over to Lake Champlain etc.
-or-
2. Pick up 91, head north, get off at Brattleboro and drive into Putney. Absolutely gorgeous little town with great restaurants and cool galleries. If you're feeling adventurous, head (much) further north to Stowe, my personal favorite ski town in Vt.

If you want NH, head to Franconia Notch, check out Mt. Washington, hike Tuckerman's Ravine, see the Flume etc.

As the previous poster noted, it's early to see good color but these areas are so beautiful it doesn't really matter.
Top reply many thanks,

Route 1 sounds promising, especially as I'm a "Manchester - North of England" Lad !!

Also may return on Weekend of Oct 6 - 9th Oct so if you've any ideas for a longer route coming from Toronto and NY State with stopovers and a few things for 2 girls under 6 to do , It'd be most appreciated.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 4:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Route 1a, the coastal connector in maine, then head in to rockland area and bung up the coast on route 1, the leaves are turning randomly already....that'll put you pretty much parallel to I-95 and you can hook onto I-95 around Bangor, or if you've had enough, sooner, and that'll wing you back up to Canada...it's a bit of a drive though on I95 because half of it is only 2 lane interstate.

If you have the time, Camden, Belfast, there on Rt1, are worth a stop over, in Belfast, 3-Tides (on the coast, over looking the bay) does fantastic, yet cheap dinner, light food, and the best martini's...don't eat at Chase Daily because it's well over priced and a bit shite, and the place opposite, the food is good, but the service is crap.

There are plenty of B&B's around, and plenty of fun little stores and what not, and if you like lobster, the best lobster around for pretty cheap, especially if you go to a small shack rather than something like the Weather Vane.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buchan6

Thanks in Advance.
It's a bit early but I did notice on the highest points of the Apilachians near Blandford (Masspike) there were some nice coloured trees just starting to turn, it's a little bit cooler up there at night so you may see some.