Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New and desperate for some help!!

New and desperate for some help!!

Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:03 am
  #16  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,745
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New and desperate for some help!!

Originally Posted by SarahJo View Post
Rene,

Do you know a lot about the passport application for overseas citizens? I want to make sure that mine is correct and that I am not going to lose my money or my chances at being able to fly home in September.
There are quite a few passport threads and most of them seem to be saying that it takes around 6-7 weeks for a renewal and for a first time one between 6-10 weeks.

Generally if they want further information, they'll ask you for further information. You only lose the money if you don't qualify for the passport in the first place.
Bob is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:44 am
  #17  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New and desperate for some help!!

Originally Posted by SarahJo View Post
That's great, thank you so much for the information. I was starting to get worried. I have not been out of the US since I got here on holiday in 1995. Let's just say...it has been one long holiday! My sister has asked I go back for a few months and I like the idea so I am planning it all now. As I mentioned before, this is all very new to me so any information is greatly appreciated. I would hate to be stuck somewhere even though I have family in both countries.
You've been longer in America than Blighty.......and it's high time you naturalized to preserve your right to return.
fatbrit is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:48 am
  #18  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,122
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New and desperate for some help!!

Originally Posted by SarahJo View Post
Rene,

Do you know a lot about the passport application for overseas citizens? I want to make sure that mine is correct and that I am not going to lose my money or my chances at being able to fly home in September.
No, sorry, I don't. Neither I nor my foreign spouse are from the UK.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:49 am
  #19  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,122
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New and desperate for some help!!

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
You've been longer in America than Blighty.......and it's high time you naturalized to preserve your right to return.
+1

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:31 am
  #20  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New and desperate for some help!!

Originally Posted by SarahJo View Post
and have renewed our cards once and they are still good until 2018.
You may be making a false assumption here. Your card can be valid but you can still have lost your status. If you relinquish your status by taking residence elsewhere, your valid card means very little. Judging whether you have relinquished your status is rather complex, but anything up to 6 months out you're usually safe, 6-12 months out and it's getting iffy, and over 12 months out and it's perilous.

All this becomes irrelevant if you naturalize.

I don't want you thinking that because your card is valid until 2018 you can just pop over in late 2017 and renew it to preserve your status. It simply doesn't work that way.
fatbrit is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2012, 4:21 am
  #21  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 18
SarahJo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New and desperate for some help!!

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
You may be making a false assumption here. Your card can be valid but you can still have lost your status. If you relinquish your status by taking residence elsewhere, your valid card means very little. Judging whether you have relinquished your status is rather complex, but anything up to 6 months out you're usually safe, 6-12 months out and it's getting iffy, and over 12 months out and it's perilous.

All this becomes irrelevant if you naturalize.

I don't want you thinking that because your card is valid until 2018 you can just pop over in late 2017 and renew it to preserve your status. It simply doesn't work that way.
Oh no, I do understand that I can only be out of the country for so long within a period of a year. I was just stating that I have my green card and not a visa. At this time I do not plan on taking residency else where, just would like to go and see all of my family and spend some time with them. I have considered moving back a few times but leaving my mum here would be the hardest part. I suppose at this time it seems that it would be in my best interest to figure out where I want to be and then work on the citizenship part. I do appreciate your response and information. You all have been very helpful and some of the information a little scary lol but I am sure I will figure out where I am to end up soon. Thanks again!
SarahJo is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:17 pm
  #22  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,326
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New and desperate for some help!!

Originally Posted by SarahJo View Post
We originally came over for a holiday to see my dad who was working in California, and while we were here he ended up being transferred to another location in Arkansas. During this time he persuaded my mother to stay longer during which time they got back together and decided to get remarried and my mother thought we would have a better life here...We applied for a green card in 1996 and in 1998 we were approved for them. I have nothing more than a green card here. I do not have a visa or anything. I was on my mother's passport until it expired and got stolen, and now I am trying to apply for mine. Do you have a green card?
Thank you for explaining. We applied and got greencards shortly after living here and are now US citizens.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2012, 2:39 am
  #23  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 18
SarahJo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: New and desperate for some help!!

Thanks for your help everyone! I have sent out my application today and they should receive it in Washington on Wednesday the 18th. Does anyone know how long it is taking them to send them out now? This is my first adult passport. Also, I had my photos taken at Walgreens and they cut them down to their specifications. I am now worried as I have been reading on here that they may reject my application for that reason. Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thanks again

Sarah
SarahJo is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:33 am
  #24  
BE Irregular
 
RICH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Tampa Bay Florida
Posts: 4,074
RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New and desperate for some help!!

This is a UK passport application? Expect it to take " a few weeks" ie 3/4+ till you get the passport, or some other response. All passports are now created in UK, not in Washington.

The precise photo size should not be an issue.
RICH is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:08 am
  #25  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 18
SarahJo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New and desperate for some help!!

Originally Posted by RICH View Post
This is a UK passport application? Expect it to take " a few weeks" ie 3/4+ till you get the passport, or some other response. All passports are now created in UK, not in Washington.

The precise photo size should not be an issue.
Thank you, I have been worried ever since I sent it out. This is a UK passport application that is being sent out from the US. I was told to send the application to Washington where they review the information and then if all is well they pass along the information and my passport is sent from the UK. I am hoping to travel back to the UK at the end of September. Do you think I may have it by then? going off of the "few weeks" theory I should have it in time. I have been a nervous wreck about the entire situation. thanks for your help
SarahJo is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:26 am
  #26  
BE Irregular
 
RICH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Tampa Bay Florida
Posts: 4,074
RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New and desperate for some help!!

Originally Posted by SarahJo View Post
Thank you, I have been worried ever since I sent it out. This is a UK passport application that is being sent out from the US. I was told to send the application to Washington where they review the information and then if all is well they pass along the information and my passport is sent from the UK. I am hoping to travel back to the UK at the end of September. Do you think I may have it by then? going off of the "few weeks" theory I should have it in time. I have been a nervous wreck about the entire situation. thanks for your help
Nothing you can do now but wait.
RICH is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:45 pm
  #27  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,745
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New and desperate for some help!!

Originally Posted by RICH View Post
This is a UK passport application? Expect it to take " a few weeks" ie 3/4+ till you get the passport, or some other response. All passports are now created in UK, not in Washington.

The precise photo size should not be an issue.
Renewals have been taking 4-7 weeks, but a first time application probably add a couple of weeks to the long end of the scope.
Bob is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:20 am
  #28  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 18
SarahJo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New and desperate for some help!!

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Renewals have been taking 4-7 weeks, but a first time application probably add a couple of weeks to the long end of the scope.
They have taken the money off of my credit card already (July 24). They received the application on July 18. Is there a possibility that it could happen sooner, or is that normal for them to take the money that quickly and still take that long to process the application? Also, I was wondering, if they do for some reason deny me a passport, do they let you know fairly quickly, or do they make you wait the same length of time that you would if you were to actually get the passport?? thank you
SarahJo is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:33 am
  #29  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,745
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New and desperate for some help!!

Originally Posted by SarahJo View Post
They have taken the money off of my credit card already (July 24). They received the application on July 18. Is there a possibility that it could happen sooner, or is that normal for them to take the money that quickly and still take that long to process the application? Also, I was wondering, if they do for some reason deny me a passport, do they let you know fairly quickly, or do they make you wait the same length of time that you would if you were to actually get the passport?? thank you
The time line they mention on their website is from the time they take payment.

If you haven't provided the evidence that they want, the Embassy is usually fairly quick about asking for the missing info.
Bob is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.