Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to Dallas - Some Qs

New to Dallas - Some Qs

Old Apr 21st 2018, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Dallas - Some Qs

Originally Posted by NWL2NTX
Great to see a fellow West Londoner and wife coming to Dallas.

We moved to mid-town Dallas (75 & Caruth, The Village) from Shepherds Bush over 4 years ago. So far, so good. We had the same feeling about going straight to a suburb. Although it became an inevitability just before our baby girl arrived a few years ago and now we are in West Plano.

Not sure if you've got here yet, as its been almost a month since this thread started, but if so and you need any help with anything - feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to help.

Welcome to Texas !
Cheers mate!
Not yet there but still on the plan, internal approvals from the company and visa is taking longer than initially expected.
So, still in Fulham.
I’ll let you know once I get there.

Btw, how is the area to live (The Village)?
Plano I kind of know as I do have a couple of friends there.
Old May 5th 2018, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

jtb87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am up in Plano, North Dallas area.
Banks - when I moved here I used Capital One initially. They are ok, not great. Go with Chase. They seem to have the most competent staff. Plus at the moment they give you a few hundred $ when you have your paycheck deposited with them.
Cars - just make sure to do your research before leaping in to buy. Carmax can be slightly more expensive sometimes I have found.
Car Insurance - I use Amica, they were very helpful with my UK driving history (plus they took my history verbally over the phone), and have always given me the best rates so far. They logged me as having been driving since the date I passed my test in the UK too (all the way back in 2005 :P). Right now I am paying about $130 p/m for insurance with them, and that is for pretty good comprehensive coverage too.
Old May 5th 2018, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jtb87
Banks - when I moved here I used Capital One initially. They are ok, not great. Go with Chase. They seem to have the most competent staff. Plus at the moment they give you a few hundred $ when you have your paycheck deposited with them.
Cars - just make sure to do your research before leaping in to buy. Carmax can be slightly more expensive sometimes I have found.
Car Insurance - I use Amica, they were very helpful with my UK driving history (plus they took my history verbally over the phone), and have always given me the best rates so far. They logged me as having been driving since the date I passed my test in the UK too (all the way back in 2005 :P). Right now I am paying about $130 p/m for insurance with them, and that is for pretty good comprehensive coverage too.
cheers mate!
Old May 5th 2018, 10:05 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jtb87;12494990]I am up in Plano, North Dallas area.
/QUOTE]
You will find that you can't open an account with Chase until you have at least ss card/dl and proofs of residence.
I've given up with them with new arrivals and they are pretty much incompetent in most branches.
Old May 6th 2018, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=petitefrancaise;12495009]
Originally Posted by jtb87
/QUOTE]
You will find that you can't open an account with Chase until you have at least ss card/dl and proofs of residence.
I've given up with them with new arrivals and they are pretty much incompetent in most branches.
So... CapitalOne?
I will have my first paycheck in 1 month ballpark but I guess I will still be ‘living’ in London, therefore no SSN yet (unless the firm manages it for me).

cheeds
Old May 6th 2018, 9:31 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=circusplaza;12495100]
Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

So... CapitalOne?
I will have my first paycheck in 1 month ballpark but I guess I will still be ‘living’ in London, therefore no SSN yet (unless the firm manages it for me).

cheeds
No idea if Capital One will allow you to open an account without an SSN. You shouldn't need one if it's not interest bearing account but banks all have different policies on this.
I get bashed on this forum for this but .... Wells Fargo are on every street corner in Texas. It's very easy to open an account as a new arrival. Walk in with the documents below and you'll get a checking account.
I'm assuming that you will have a work visa?
other documents needed
passport showing your visa
2forms of ID - (passport) or foreign current driver's licence and a current credit or debit card with your name on it.
proof of address ( must be US and can be work)
US phone number (can be a work number or a colleagues)
Old May 7th 2018, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

[left][QUOTE=petitefrancaise;12495316]
Originally Posted by circusplaza

No idea if Capital One will allow you to open an account without an SSN. You shouldn't need one if it's not interest bearing account but banks all have different policies on this.
I get bashed on this forum for this but .... Wells Fargo are on every street corner in Texas. It's very easy to open an account as a new arrival. Walk in with the documents below and you'll get a checking account.
I'm assuming that you will have a work visa?
other documents needed
passport showing your visa
2forms of ID - (passport) or foreign current driver's licence and a current credit or debit card with your name on it.
proof of address ( must be US and can be work)
US phone number (can be a work number or a colleagues)

great! and yes, work visa will be there.
i need at least a bank account to start receiving my paycheck while I am still between UK and Texas moving stuff and working remotely.
Old May 9th 2018, 4:29 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Mckinney (north of plano) Great burb but sucky journey to Irvine (hubbie does this drive daily). If you want burbs then Grapevine and southlake are nice and have great schools. cheaper but in that direction would be carrolton or lewisville.
Old May 9th 2018, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MsElui
I am in Mckinney (north of plano) Great burb but sucky journey to Irvine (hubbie does this drive daily). If you want burbs then Grapevine and southlake are nice and have great schools. cheaper but in that direction would be carrolton or lewisville.
Thanks! McKinney, along with Plano and Cooper, was something we looked already for the short term future (not once moving but to buy a house in 1 year or 2).
So far planning to rent something in Uptown Dallas to start living there.

cheers