Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New consoles

New consoles

Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New consoles

Originally Posted by Longy
Exactly, and the Blu-ray will mean they can make massive games HD games and not worry about filling up the disks
this isn't the case and the fact that you think it is the case means Sony's PR campaign is working.

HD for games is possible with the new machines only in 720p. The hardware itself CAN output 1080p BUT the pixel throughput required for a 1080p game is double that for a 720p game. Many games right now struggle with running in 720p. There will be VERY few games actually running at 1080p.... I'd hazzard a guess that those we do see will be puzzle games or VERY VERY simple games.

Don't be expecting Ratchet & Clank in 1080p anytime soon.

Further - 360 can do HD exactly the same as sony can... its just that Sony advertise dreams, MS advertise reality; I prefer reality.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
this isn't the case and the fact that you think it is the case means Sony's PR campaign is working.

HD for games is possible with the new machines only in 720p. The hardware itself CAN output 1080p BUT the pixel throughput required for a 1080p game is double that for a 720p game. Many games right now struggle with running in 720p. There will be VERY few games actually running at 1080p.... I'd hazzard a guess that those we do see will be puzzle games or VERY VERY simple games.

Further - 360 can do HD exactly the same as sony can... its just that Sony advertise dreams, MS advertise reality; I prefer reality.
Its another world you people live in .....
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

It just makes me think of the Eye-Toy that they had for the PS2. I know this is a lot more advanced then this, but it got boring very quickly - how much waving around like an idiot are people going to want to do. Eventually you will want to just sit down and play a game.
I agree, Eye Toy is great but not all the time.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I agree, Eye Toy is great but not all the time.
And another one ....
I killed 5000 people trying to land a 737 at HK airport with dozens of attempt to land using Microsoft flight simulator ...
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
And another one ....
I killed 5000 people trying to land a 737 at HK airport with dozens of attempt to land using Microsoft flight simulator ...
lol that's the fun of it
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:20 pm
Ray

lol that's the fun of it
It screwed up my BA application to be a pilot though .....
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
It screwed up my BA application to be a pilot though .....
Maybe a steward?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:22 pm
Ray

Maybe a steward?
You think I could be a bar steward
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
You think I could be a bar steward
I could see you mincing up and down the aisles in a jaunty uniform
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:25 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Nerdy conversation follows, I apologize in advance:

You're right that the 360's new software upgrade will allow it to output 1080p. The problem is that the 360 only has component outputs and no TV made is able to accept a 1080p signal via component...talk about a worthless upgrade. As the PS3 has two HDMI outputs, it doesn't have this problem. One other thing: very, very few TVs display true 1080p at this point. Most scale at least slightly.

Having said all of that, it really doesn't matter because the average person can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p, even on large screens. As this explains, the pixels are so small that the screen has to be at least 70 inches for a person 10 feet away to be able to resolve the improvment between 720p and 1080p. Even then, it's at the limit of the capabilities of a person with perfect vision.

The Sony is one hell of a nice peice of equipment and actually a bit of a bargain if you take into account you're getting a very powerful, fully featured computer, a Blu-Ray player and (probably) the most powerful console in the world for $600. I'm still sticking with the Wii, just to fight mock sword battles.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

That is still high definition, and as you say it is possible, I am sure 720p will still look pretty damn good.

I also realise that the 360 can do this, but I would imagine to make use of this in decently sized games they are gonna have to start using the HD DVD format which means people having to buy the add on drive - or using multiple DVD's. The 360 also doesn't have an HDMI port either - wouldn't this be a problem going forward?

I have considered getting the 360, but think the PS3 will be the better option in the long run.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:55 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold

The 360 also doesn't have an HDMI port either - wouldn't this be a problem going forward?

I have considered getting the 360, but think the PS3 will be the better option in the long run.
Maybe the PS3 will be better in the long run, but typically games console's only have a lifespan of about 5 years. At the moment how many people do you know that have a TV capable of 1080p (or even 720p) or have a TV with an HDMI input. I would bet it's very few.

In 5 years time, a much larger percentage of people will have upgraded to an HDTV, the Blu-Ray Vs HD DVD battle will most likely be over, and then MS will most likely be able to add an HDMI input to the Xbox 3, and build in a blu ray/HD Dvd drive.

At the moment, it makes sense to have not included these things in the Xbox 360. It would have pushed up the development cost, pushed up the retail cost and for something that most people cannot yet use. IMO this is a pretty smart move.

If HD DVD wins in the format war, Sony are then stuck with Blu ray PS3's that will not be able to play HD DVD's (unless they then bring out an add on drive, which adds to your initial $600 outlay). With the Xbox 360 you can decide to wait until this format war is done before buying an HD drive. It is smart of Sony to include a blu ray drive though, if only because they know the PS3 will sell by the truck load introducing a large number of people to blu ray (although last I heard blu ray was being outsold by HD DVD at least 3 to 1)

Last edited by nai_in_av; Nov 13th 2006 at 4:07 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

It comes down to which games you prefer, we have PS2 and XBox and just find PS2 has more games we like (that's me and the children)
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you've got one pre-ordered though, or are planning to camp out, chances are you wont be able to get a ps3 though, at least for a while. they are releasing even less at first shipping then microsoft did with the 360 last year.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
As the PS3 has two HDMI outputs ... (probably) the most powerful console in the world for $600.
wow you're well into the PR aint ya.

1. it has 1xHDMI see
Specs

2. "most powerful" is a VERY misleading statement. In the numbers sony quotes you may notice they always say "the cell" can do this and "the cell" can do that... what they don't tell you is "the cell" in the ps3 is NOT 100%.. of the 8 spe's games can only use 5 and the ppe is half the speed of the 360. The GPU is woefully underpowered compared to 360 and low end pc's. Their PR is treading a very fine line here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.