Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

new car suggestions for first time in the US

new car suggestions for first time in the US

Old Nov 9th 2018, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new car suggestions for first time in the US

Thanks for the advice, it’s clear I’m going to have to test drive some shortly to get a better sense of it.

meanwhile I found this https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...s-for-families

Adds a few extras to consider.

honda cr-v
ford edge
audi q5

id take a q5 but think it’s probably not financially wise for first time car so while keeping in mind I will try to find the most cost effective option, which isn’t too compromised and too expensive on insurance.

was thinking about the weather, awd and so on. I think i’ll be ok without awd. Picking an SUV would be for space and practicality not for snow or off-road abilities. I can deal with a little snow in any half decent 2wd, fwd is fine handling wise when it’s slippy out.

I know it can snow a lot, but it’s a few weeks a year and I can work from home on the worst days, where going out (awd or not) is not much fun and best avoided. Anyway, will be buying after snow season of 2019 and could always change car before the next if I had to.

thanks for the help so far.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 5:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why not lease each car for a weekend and test drive for a few days. The dealer test drive is not long enough to really give you the ins and outs of a vehicle.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

When I arrived here I rented a few cars, for interviews etc, the usual mix of Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, Fords, Cyrysler, Nissan.................etc, my personal opinion is...........US cars suck, Korean good but feel a bit cheapy inside, and The Japanese boring but comfy and reliable.

So I went to Mazda, Toyota and Nissan to check out deals, remembering I had zero credit and armed only with a temporary Cali license and a Job offer.

Mazda 6 real nice but 17% APR, yeah kick rocks!!
Toyota Camry okish (but I do like the new model)
Nissan Altima, comfy for a 6'4 guy, a little boring but economical, I'm currently commuting 90 miles a day, oh and 1.7% APR, deal thank you very much!!

45000 miles later still happy with my Nissan, other than oil changes and a duff battery all has been good.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Aquapanther is an unknown quantity at this point

I rented cars here pretty much every day for 2 years, so I’ve tested a lot of those mentions!
I will likely get a Nissan Maxima soon. Was fun to drive, comfortable and very spacious. I love the look of it too!

Also, you mentioned a manual (stick shift here).
Have you driving an American one yet? Not as easy as you might think. Best sticking to an automatic.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aquapanther
Have you driving an American one yet? Not as easy as you might think. Best sticking to an automatic.
Do you mean getting one, or driving one ?
Old Nov 13th 2018, 2:36 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

In ny experience driving an American stick shift is no harder than driving a UK one. A few moments of attempting to change gear or deploy the hand brake in the driver's door pocket soon pass, and the pedals are the same with the clutch under the left foot. Our younger son, who has done all his driving here in Pennsylvania, took his test in our automatic but took to driving my manual VW Beetle like a duck to water. As steveq says finding a manual transmission car might be the tricky part of the equation.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 1:48 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
In ny experience driving an American stick shift is no harder than driving a UK one. A few moments of attempting to change gear or deploy the hand brake in the driver's door pocket soon pass, and the pedals are the same with the clutch under the left foot. Our younger son, who has done all his driving here in Pennsylvania, took his test in our automatic but took to driving my manual VW Beetle like a duck to water. As steveq says finding a manual transmission car might be the tricky part of the equation.
I second this. I've always driven manuals in the US and never had a problem -- apart from initially reaching for the door handle rather than the gear lever once or twice! And steveq is right -- I had to search a little while for my latest manual transmission pickup, but then got a great deal on a lightly used one because no one wanted a stick shift vehicle.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I second this. I've always driven manuals in the US and never had a problem -- apart from initially reaching for the door handle rather than the gear lever once or twice! And steveq is right -- I had to search a little while for my latest manual transmission pickup, but then got a great deal on a lightly used one because no one wanted a stick shift vehicle.
What did you get ? We're looking for new wheels at the moment.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 2:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
What did you get ? We're looking for new wheels at the moment.
I'm on my second Nissan Frontier. I've seen them pooh-poohed around here, but they work really well for me and I've been happy with them. I don't need the size of the big Fords or Chevys. My first was the four door with a real back seat; the current one is a two door with two fold-down seats that are a total joke for anything other than six-year olds -- but they fold up and I have a dog bed that fits perfectly in the space! Both have been four wheel drive, which is an essential for my driveway, and I feel very confident in the bad weather.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'm on my second Nissan Frontier. I've seen them pooh-poohed around here, but they work really well for me and I've been happy with them. I don't need the size of the big Fords or Chevys. My first was the four door with a real back seat; the current one is a two door with two fold-down seats that are a total joke for anything other than six-year olds -- but they fold up and I have a dog bed that fits perfectly in the space! Both have been four wheel drive, which is an essential for my driveway, and I feel very confident in the bad weather.
We liked the Nissan Rogue SUV, apart from the stupid door design on our rented one which swiped Lizzyq and me across the shins painfully. It performed pretty well off road, almost like a Landy
Old Nov 13th 2018, 2:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by steveq
We liked the Nissan Rogue SUV, apart from the stupid door design on our rented one which swiped Lizzyq and me across the shins painfully. It performed pretty well off road, almost like a Landy
My OH has a 2009 Rogue, which continues to perform well for him and is excellent in the snow.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Why not lease each car for a weekend and test drive for a few days. The dealer test drive is not long enough to really give you the ins and outs of a vehicle.
I like this idea however car rental in NYC (avoiding travel to the airports) can be a bit pricey.
furthermore, I’ve tended to find you reserve a type of car by its class. But never sure what you’ll actually get on the day, depends what they have and what’s available, etc.
Am I missing a trick?

Recent stay in U.K. we had the Qashqai (rogue) as mentioned, latest 2018 model with pano roof and all the bells. Was quite nice, which got me thinking, but with all the extras the top of the line new model is probably a bit pricey for a essentially modest family suv.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

I rented cars here pretty much every day for 2 years, so I’ve tested a lot of those mentions!
I will likely get a Nissan Maxima soon. Was fun to drive, comfortable and very spacious. I love the look of it too!

I which respect, being a column shift (do they exist)?
I find adapting rhd/lhd not too bad.
I drove a LHD lancia delta integrale for years in the U.K., same issue in reverse. Never an issue for me.
Although it seems easier to find auto in the US and I suppose cheaper to insure also (anyone able to confirm that?).
Old Nov 14th 2018, 12:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB

I like this idea however car rental in NYC (avoiding travel to the airports) can be a bit pricey.
furthermore, I’ve tended to find you reserve a type of car by its class. But never sure what you’ll actually get on the day, depends what they have and what’s available, etc.
Am I missing a trick?

Recent stay in U.K. we had the Qashqai (rogue) as mentioned, latest 2018 model with pano roof and all the bells. Was quite nice, which got me thinking, but with all the extras the top of the line new model is probably a bit pricey for a essentially modest family suv.
Which is the car my sister and brother-in-law just leased and it is costing them a very pretty penny for driving this luxury vehicle with all the bells and whistles...nav system, sirrus radio, Bluetooth, sunroof, leather seats, etc., etc. Then again, they don't have kids and when the grandkids visit they use the Altima.

I would rent from Enterprise Car Rental on 233rd Street and Webster Avenue in the Bronx ... right at the Metro North Train stop. I didn't consider it pricey and I specified which vehicle I wanted. They were great to work with.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 2:56 pm
Concierge

As for standard shifts (column shifts?), yes, you can buy them in the US. Not the preferred transmission but they are available. Daughter's new Toyota back in the 90's was a standard and she purchased that new in Florida. Of course, the timing chain snapped 2 blocks from the dealership after signing the paperwork. Hubby's bought a new truck in Westchester County (Mamaroneck) and it was a standard transmission. It was an Isuzu. I had an older Subaru that I loved and it was a standard transmission. So it is possible to purchase them but the resale value (since that is important to many people here) is not great since few people know how to drive them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.