Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New benefits law in Florida, what do you think?

New benefits law in Florida, what do you think?

Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:38 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New benefits law in Florida, what do you think?

If my nephews friends are to be believed, then cheating on drug tests is trivial.
One can buy powdered urine online.

Last edited by kimilseung; Oct 25th 2011 at 11:53 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
More likely they probably couldn't afford the upfront cost of taking the test and are probably now seriously worse off.
That is another possibility.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I believe the law is only for those seeking child benefit... If a person can't afford to feed/clothe their child should they be spending money on drugs?
Yup - and if it were only a question of logic...

When your life is shit, and you see no way out as such, forgetting it all in some kind of alternate, altered state, no matter how induced, can seem the lesser of 2 evils, or more attractive, in the moment...
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

I learnt the other day that food stamps sold to buy drugs. Credits on the swipe card are sold for 50% of their value . You pay them $100 they give you their card and you get $200 of food at the supermarket. It was new to me but by all accounts not uncommon.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:56 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
I learnt the other day that food stamps sold to buy drugs. Credits on the swipe card are sold for 50% of their value . You pay them $100 they give you their card and you get $200 of food at the supermarket. It was new to me but by all accounts not uncommon.
and some pretty decent grub at that, judging from my days as a cashier at Kroger.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't read the original replies at the beginning of this thread, so I don't know if this was already mentioned. How do they handle people who are on legitimate prescribed meds that would show up in a drug test. Do they allow for those exceptions, or would they expect people to just 'grin and bear' any pain they might have and forgo taking paid meds to pass this test?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I didn't read the original replies at the beginning of this thread, so I don't know if this was already mentioned. How do they handle people who are on legitimate prescribed meds that would show up in a drug test. Do they allow for those exceptions, or would they expect people to just 'grin and bear' any pain they might have and forgo taking paid meds to pass this test?
I wondered about that too. I know as far as the FAA are concerned, certain OTC and prescription drugs can show up as illegal use drugs under certain circumstances. If there is a doubt the medical facility that does DoT testing are supposed to contact you to discuss a positive result in case there might be a simple explanation (like a prescription drug) before telling your company and the FAA.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
It's pretty much been going on for ages. The other thing they do is buy the expensive organic milk that comes in the fancy bottles that have a $2-3 deposit, dump the milk and redeem the bottle deposit for cash to buy smokes...well it was a big problem in Maine, that they made it so you couldn't get bottled organic milk on the stamps.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's pretty much been going on for ages. The other thing they do is buy the expensive organic milk that comes in the fancy bottles that have a $2-3 deposit, dump the milk and redeem the bottle deposit for cash to buy smokes...well it was a big problem in Maine, that they made it so you couldn't get bottled organic milk on the stamps.
It's a real shame that a small minority of recipients abuse the program like this. Food stamps is an absolutely vital program for many, especially those that have exhausted their unemployment benefits.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 28th 2011 at 6:26 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure it is a small minority, my step daughter seems to know all the scams, I will ask her.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am not sure it is a small minority, my step daughter seems to know all the scams, I will ask her.
Some stats here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplem...raud_and_abuse

And here:

Fraud in the government program that helps the poor has added up to nearly $100 million since 2007, according to the U.S. Agriculture Department. It's a fraction of the more than $40 billion spent to feed people each year, but the crime has become a brazen way for some small stores to literally swipe cash from the U.S. Treasury, especially in the Detroit area.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...roit-area.html

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 28th 2011 at 6:23 pm.