Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New benefits law in Florida, what do you think?

New benefits law in Florida, what do you think?

Old Jun 5th 2011, 1:59 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice
Default Re: New benefits law in Florida, what do you think?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
And you think the new law is going to correct this?
Sadly, no law is going to halt the ever increasing tide of drug abuse in the US, or the UK.
The laws need to be changed in ways to stop NEW SOCIAL USERS for becoming addicts. I am often involved in designing new ways of catching street level dealers. In 92 I proposed we had a new squad that took them off the street corners. Drive around the usually places in our area and covertly video them doing deals, and if it could be shown that the same people were doing it on a daily basis, and weren't doing it to raise money for reason of personal hardship or family health needs, on day ten of them being videoed just shoot the bastards in the face and leave the body in the street. This will get them off the street corners.
I thought the DA was going to have a coronary... "But But But..."
I said that you can't stop the cravings of some addicts and they're stupid enough to go up dark alleys to buy what they need, but in my opinion this action would stop our teenage children. As how many would want to go up a dark alley to meet bad guys?
The silly thing about arresting street corner dealers is it's a waste of time. In our little town, the guy on the corner has maybe $10-20 on him and one piece of crack. Leaning on the fence is his cousin. He sells his one piece and now has no drugs but your marked $20 bill. You want to go to court with that? You drive off, he talks to his cousin, and he's back on the corner with the $20 gone and another piece in his pocket.
The people who should be arrested and put on the local TV news are the buyers. I did some covert video for a town 30 miles away, and showed how they could catch a very large dealer, but they needed to buy an expensive piece of kit to remotely monitor his home. "Too expensive" and he's only small fry. A month later, a rival attacked his home and the final body count was seven. This got complicated as one died away from the scene on Army property. Two things; if they had bought the kit, they would have had high resolution video of all of it going down, and second, as the Army was involved, they had CID on scene for two weeks, the GBI were there, the FBI and ATF were there as well. The catering alone came to double what the camera system would have cost.
This 19 year old small fry dealer was netting $1,000.00 a day, 7 days a week.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 2:30 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
Sadly, no law is going to halt the ever increasing tide of drug abuse in the US, or the UK.
The laws need to be changed in ways to stop NEW SOCIAL USERS for becoming addicts. I am often involved in designing new ways of catching street level dealers. In 92 I proposed we had a new squad that took them off the street corners. Drive around the usually places in our area and covertly video them doing deals, and if it could be shown that the same people were doing it on a daily basis, and weren't doing it to raise money for reason of personal hardship or family health needs, on day ten of them being videoed just shoot the bastards in the face and leave the body in the street. This will get them off the street corners.
I thought the DA was going to have a coronary... "But But But..."
I said that you can't stop the cravings of some addicts and they're stupid enough to go up dark alleys to buy what they need, but in my opinion this action would stop our teenage children. As how many would want to go up a dark alley to meet bad guys?
The silly thing about arresting street corner dealers is it's a waste of time. In our little town, the guy on the corner has maybe $10-20 on him and one piece of crack. Leaning on the fence is his cousin. He sells his one piece and now has no drugs but your marked $20 bill. You want to go to court with that? You drive off, he talks to his cousin, and he's back on the corner with the $20 gone and another piece in his pocket.
The people who should be arrested and put on the local TV news are the buyers. I did some covert video for a town 30 miles away, and showed how they could catch a very large dealer, but they needed to buy an expensive piece of kit to remotely monitor his home. "Too expensive" and he's only small fry. A month later, a rival attacked his home and the final body count was seven. This got complicated as one died away from the scene on Army property. Two things; if they had bought the kit, they would have had high resolution video of all of it going down, and second, as the Army was involved, they had CID on scene for two weeks, the GBI were there, the FBI and ATF were there as well. The catering alone came to double what the camera system would have cost.
This 19 year old small fry dealer was netting $1,000.00 a day, 7 days a week.
Yep -- the war on drugs has been an absolute disaster. A sort of prohibition mark II which has proved highly profitable for a tiny minority and a disaster for the rest of us.

Think governments should look towards their policies used for weaning folks off ciggies -- a relentless chipping away at the problem making it more and more difficult to enjoy the filthy habit. Unlike drugs, this policy has actually been relatively successful.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:33 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Yep -- the war on drugs has been an absolute disaster. A sort of prohibition mark II which has proved highly profitable for a tiny minority and a disaster for the rest of us.

Think governments should look towards their policies used for weaning folks off ciggies -- a relentless chipping away at the problem making it more and more difficult to enjoy the filthy habit. Unlike drugs, this policy has actually been relatively successful.
As a followup to that incident we covertly videoed a meeting between a Councilman and the bad guys lawyer in a church. The video was allowed in Court, the audio wasn't as we didn't have a warrant. Recording video is generally Okay. Audio is complex. On the phone? Are you in a "One party consent State?" if yes, give yourself permission, if not, announce "I'm going to record this conversation." Talking in a group of more than one other person, becomes fair game as you are 'broadcasting' but beware of long range microphones. Whenever someone on the phones states "This may be recorded for quality assurance purposes..." I always say "Good, so that's two of us doing it at least."
I find it amusing that "Philly" State Police do the best 'Telephone monitoring' course in the US, as "Philly" is a two party consent State! "Er, excuse me Mr. Drug Dealer but I have to advise you that I am covertly recording this conversation. Now what were you saying?" You have to love the anomaly that is America!
Do a google search using this "one or two party consent state" to find out which your State is. You may be surprised. Or not...
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

As a followup to that incident we covertly videoed a meeting between a Councilman and the bad guys lawyer in a church. The video was allowed in Court, the audio wasn't as we didn't have a warrant. Recording video is generally Okay. Audio is complex. On the phone? Are you in a "One party consent State?" if yes, give yourself permission, if not, announce "I'm going to record this conversation." Talking in a group of more than one other person, becomes fair game as you are 'broadcasting' but beware of long range microphones. Whenever someone on the phones states "This may be recorded for quality assurance purposes..." I always say "Good, so that's two of us doing it at least."
I find it amusing that "Philly" State Police do the best 'Telephone monitoring' course in the US, as "Philly" is a two party consent State! "Er, excuse me Mr. Drug Dealer but I have to advise you that I am covertly recording this conversation. Now what were you saying?" You have to love the anomaly that is America!
Do a google search using this "one or two party consent state" to find out which your State is. You may be surprised. Or not...
AZ is one party -- don't need to look it up! I always use the Google Voice recording feature when I'm making any call that may have legal repercussions.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:52 pm
MCROW

AZ is one party -- don't need to look it up! I always use the Google Voice recording feature when I'm making any call that may have legal repercussions.
does that work on "900" number calls???

We border a two party State, but that's their problem...
Old Jun 5th 2011, 4:00 pm
Septicity

does that work on "900" number calls???
Works on any call going through their system. Easier to use when you're receiving the call, though -- hit 4

Last edited by fatbrit; Jun 5th 2011 at 4:03 pm. Reason: Not enough coffee.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 4:12 pm
MCROW

Works on any call going through their system. Easier to use when you're receiving the call, though -- hit 4
Don't use Google, I use SKYPE and have done so for years now. Done away with the house phone and the office phones as well. Have a local number in Cardiff so her family can "Local call" my wife on her laptop, have another in 'The City' of London, and one in DC. No! I don't work for SKYPE!
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Reviving this thread, it seems Rick's welfare drug testing law has been temporarily blocked. Interestingly figures show that while 7000 people passed the new test only 32 failed it. I'm so happy to learn we taxpayers saved public money on 32 tests...only to pay out for the other 7000. Rick sure knows how to make good law I confidently predict he won't get re-elected.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news...rick_scot.html

Last edited by Brit3964; Oct 25th 2011 at 2:21 am.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Reviving this thread, it seems Rick's welfare drug testing law has been temporarily blocked. Interestingly figures show that while 7000 people passed the new test only 32 failed it. I'm so happy to learn we taxpayers saved public money on 32 tests...only to pay out for the other 7000. Rick sure knows how to make good law I confidently predict he won't get re-elected.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news...rick_scot.html
What was missing from that data was how many people decided not to even try as they knew they were high as a kite....
Old Oct 25th 2011, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
What was missing from that data was how many people decided not to even try as they knew they were high as a kite....
Given that the State of Florida tried to make the bogus argument that anyone who declined the test was a drug user, I somehow doubt they would have refrained from arguing that any reduction in welfare applicants could be attributed to their being drug users as well.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Some 1600 declined. I doubt all 1600 were drug users. There could be a number of reasons as to why, anything from getting a new job, marrying, moving in with SO's, parents or family to simply being unhappy about being forced to take the drug test. The guy who bought the ACLU case was a single parent ex-veteran.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Given that the State of Florida tried to make the bogus argument that anyone who declined the test was a drug user
It's kind of backfired on them now with only 32 confirmed drug addicts. IMO it always was about painting all welfare recipients as drug users.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's kind of backfired on them now with only 32 confirmed drug addicts. IMO it always was about painting all welfare recipients as drug users.
Ok Lets say half were drug users.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Ok Lets say half were drug users.
Interesting maths there.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Some 1600 declined. I doubt all 1600 were drug users. There could be a number of reasons as to why, anything from getting a new job, marrying, moving in with SO's, parents or family to simply being unhappy about being forced to take the drug test. The guy who bought the ACLU case was a single parent ex-veteran.
More likely they probably couldn't afford the upfront cost of taking the test and are probably now seriously worse off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.