Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

new baby question

new baby question

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new baby question

Originally Posted by dh010447
I see how this could be useful.

However, at a cost of about $200 for the registration of the birth and then another $200 ish for a copy of the certificate... I'm not convinced that its worth it...
It's worth it, especially if they need proof of citizenship and lost passport, becomes more easier for them when you've carped it.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:45 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

could you have an issue trying to bring in an 'american' child to the uk (ie you want to wait til you get to the uk to apply for uk passport so only have a US one at that point for child).

(im asking as im expecting too and want to find the most economical way of getting the dual passports done too).
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:42 am
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

I'll let you know when I try it in October, but our baby will be an American so it should travel on the American passport. I can't see any reason why it would be an issue.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:29 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

well US has vwp - does the UK have similar or would baby need a visa? getting a UK passport would bypass all that but doesnt help once your in the country.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
could you have an issue trying to bring in an 'american' child to the uk (ie you want to wait til you get to the uk to apply for uk passport so only have a US one at that point for child).

(im asking as im expecting too and want to find the most economical way of getting the dual passports done too).
You'll be fine, the UK, unlike the US doesn't require its citizens to travel on a UK passport if they have another passport that is valid for the trip.

So you can use the US passport to enter the UK for a holiday and have no problem.

It's only a problem if you use it to permanently move to the UK as the passport wouldn't be fit for purpose without having a visa in that situation and getting it fixed is a nightmare.

A tourist can stay up to 6 months in the UK too.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:47 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

thanks all!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob

A tourist can stay up to 6 months in the UK too.
I read somewhere that they were trying to reduce that to 3 months - makes sense te me. If we can only stop in the US for 3 months, they should only be allowed to stop in the UK for 3 months.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by dh010447
I read somewhere that they were trying to reduce that to 3 months - makes sense te me. If we can only stop in the US for 3 months, they should only be allowed to stop in the UK for 3 months.
That was the plan, more of a reciprical thing more than anything, but I don't think it's happened yet.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

britchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud of

Does anyone know if there is a time limit as to when you can apply for a British birth certificate? My son is already two, and I still have never gotten round to sending the forms in...not to mention the $400 it costs for all the crap!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

Just as an update, the SS card came a few days after the birth certificate so we whisked the baby off to the post office and applied for the US passport straight away. This should take 4-6 weeks to come through, at which point we'll apply for the UK passport and register the birth with the consulate.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchick95
Does anyone know if there is a time limit as to when you can apply for a British birth certificate? My son is already two, and I still have never gotten round to sending the forms in...not to mention the $400 it costs for all the crap!
No time limit (which could always change) but you do need to be aware that the longer you leave it, the more hassle you may get with needing proof of ID etc.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

britchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
No time limit (which could always change) but you do need to be aware that the longer you leave it, the more hassle you may get with needing proof of ID etc.

Cheers JAJ. I think that's another reason I've left it so long. I had to go to a different hospital for his birth, and I am never in that town!!!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 5:21 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chandler
Big also, so next week might be a go for us.

When you say use the UK one, you mean for entry into the UK only? For entry back in the US they will require their US passport. This begs the question, can you travel one way on one passport and the other way on another passport? It would be a big help at immigration.
Thats exactly what we do. I finally got the youngest her UK passport and now the whole family travels out of US on a US passport and into UK on UK passports.
Pity none of our passports ever get a stamp in them. It looks like we don't travel, plus the cost of dual passports for a family of 5 is painful.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

Another update - US passport for baby arrived at the weekend two weeks to the day after making the application at the post office. We will send off the British application this week.