New Baby - Dual Nationality

Wikiposts

New Baby - Dual Nationality

Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

choops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Baby - Dual Nationality

Hi all,

Been 3 years since ive been on the forum here as have been living happily in San Diego for 3 years now!

So..my wife and I have had a little yankee! He's now two weeks old and we are applying for the US passport.

Question we have is as he has dual nationality, is it worth us applying for UK passport also? We will be going home at Christmas to show him off to all the family and wondered if he arrived in Heathrow on a UK passport and not the US passport, he would be able to use those super fancy time saving machines for fast track entry.

Any one know anything about this?

Where do we start to apply for a passport for him?

Thanks
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Baby - Dual Nationality

Since you live in the US and he's a US citizen, he has to travel on a US passport.

Congratulations, btw!
Old Jun 16th 2014, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Since you live in the US and he's a US citizen, he has to travel on a US passport.
He has to have a US passport to leave and enter the US and they are already applying for one.

The question was whether it is worth trying to get a UK passport for him as well ...
Old Jun 16th 2014, 3:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by choops

Google, it'll be the first link probably...though if you're going to the UK, you can do it there, it'll be quicker and cheaper.

Though as mentioned, will need a US passport, so there's no real point in bothering unless you have plans to move back to the UK.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Been 3 years since ive been on the forum here as have been living happily in San Diego for 3 years now!

So..my wife and I have had a little yankee! He's now two weeks old and we are applying for the US passport.

Question we have is as he has dual nationality, is it worth us applying for UK passport also? We will be going home at Christmas to show him off to all the family and wondered if he arrived in Heathrow on a UK passport and not the US passport, he would be able to use those super fancy time saving machines for fast track entry.

Thanks
I looked into getting a Irish passport for my little one - I'm a dual Irish/British citizen, and the Irish passports are cheaper Also in San Diego BTW.

I came to the conclusion that it was pointless at that age. The passport only lasts 3 years and it is not cheap.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
The question was whether it is worth trying to get a UK passport for him as well ...
Thanks!
Old Jun 16th 2014, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bewildering
I looked into getting a Irish passport for my little one - I'm a dual Irish/British citizen, and the Irish passports are cheaper Also in San Diego BTW.
San Diego...best place on earth! How long you been here?

I guessed that the pp would probably be a short lifespan, us only 5 yrs, but just thinking of those lines at heathrow! My wife and I both have the microchip and can use the fast track lanes....
Old Jun 16th 2014, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

UK Passport, I wouldn't bother until he was 16.

I would strongly recommend consular registration though as that will make it easier to get the passport later. Whether you get the actual certificate is up to you.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
He has to have a US passport to leave and enter the US and they are already applying for one.

I answered the question.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:37 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Traveling with our newborn on her USA passport was a pain. They wanted us all to wait in the non-uk/EU line and wanted her to answer security questions about the purpose of her trip. She was 2 months old. Much easier entering the UK on her british passport.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:43 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i second the 'consular birth cert thing'. will make getting a passport later MUCH easier.

fwiw - my daughter has a brit and us passport and shes 5. i just renewed the brit one but MUST get on and renew the US ONE soon.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
UK Passport, I wouldn't bother until he was 16.

I would strongly recommend consular registration though as that will make it easier to get the passport later. Whether you get the actual certificate is up to you.
If you just register with the British Embassy in Washington DC and don't get the consular birth cert (which is a bit pricey), you can get a much cheaper birth cert from the GRO in the UK from about April of the calendar year following the year of registration.

Also be aware that consular birth registration is currently being moved to a central processing center in the UK. It looks like you can still register US births with Washington but I know that registration of births in other countries (e.g. France, Germany, etc) have recently been moved to the UK (from June 9th, 2014).
Old Jun 17th 2014, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Traveling with our newborn on her USA passport was a pain. They wanted us all to wait in the non-uk/EU line and wanted her to answer security questions about the purpose of her trip. She was 2 months old. Much easier entering the UK on her british passport.
Good point. My wife is American so we wouldn't save any time by getting the child a passport.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MsElui
i second the 'consular birth cert thing'. will make getting a passport later MUCH easier.

fwiw - my daughter has a brit and us passport and shes 5. i just renewed the brit one but MUST get on and renew the US ONE soon.
Why is this the case? Just curious. I would have thought that my child's birth certificate and my birth certificate (and my passport) would be enough to get a passport at a later stage? Am I missing something?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

San Diego...best place on earth! How long you been here?

I guessed that the pp would probably be a short lifespan, us only 5 yrs, but just thinking of those lines at heathrow! My wife and I both have the microchip and can use the fast track lanes....
I've been here 10 years now. Whooosh, time flies. At least my surfing is better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.