Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Arrival Health Insurance Questions

New Arrival Health Insurance Questions

Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Arrival Health Insurance Questions

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I'm thinking of adding a "Prior Existing Coverage" section to the wiki to explain why it is important. Does anyone have some experience in what it took (i.e. what they had to get from the NHS) to prove prior coverage?
I can't help you but if you do that, I think it would be a big help to all of us that have yet to jump across the pond.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of adding a "Prior Existing Coverage" section to the wiki to explain why it is important. Does anyone have some experience in what it took (i.e. what they had to get from the NHS) to prove prior coverage?
I have read that other people have used their NHS card or a letter from their GP to prove being covered by the NHS - from what I have read, different insurers will likely accept one or other but don't quote me on that.

Thanks all for the other responses, it will only be temporary as I should be covered by my wife's employers group insurance which kicks in during April, so I guess taking a temporary policy and not doing anything risky (although I do want to go snowboarding!) is my way forward for now. What is difficult for newbies is knowing what to look out for in terms of coverage, exclusions, etc... It is a real minefield of information.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I think one of the companies is American Patriot

http://www.insubuy.com/patriot-america-insurance/

.....but I have never used them so cannot give any comments on them
There is a European arm of this company at the following web address. I haven't looked into them yet, but this might be what I am after

http://www.imgeurope.co.uk/internati...nce/index.aspx
Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

For those who are interested or will have this issue in the future, I have spoken to Cigna Global and the rep said that it WOULD count as 'prior credible coverage'. My quote was about £220 (you can pay in sterling) per month with a £1000 deductible (before underwriting). This sounds expensive to me, but I don't have a lot to compare it to (any advice on prices? - I know each individual will be different but ballpark). No exclusions except pre-existing, but I don't have any pre-existing issues anyway. Should do for a month or 2.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 5:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Different companies wanted to see different things.

I've read here, that some people have used a letter from their GP and also local trust authority stating that they were covered under the NHS as residents of the UK.

Other people have used a copy of their NHS medical card too and at least one where a person had to prove they were ordinarily resident in the UK for the insurance to take them being under NHS cover, I think a statement or copy of bills from a few utility companies in their name did the trick.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBaker2011
For those who are interested or will have this issue in the future, I have spoken to Cigna Global and the rep said that it WOULD count as 'prior credible coverage'. My quote was about £220 (you can pay in sterling) per month with a £1000 deductible (before underwriting). This sounds expensive to me, but I don't have a lot to compare it to (any advice on prices? - I know each individual will be different but ballpark). No exclusions except pre-existing, but I don't have any pre-existing issues anyway. Should do for a month or 2.
That's not bad, to only have a $1K deductible.

What about maximum level of cover?

If it's $1M+, that's really good, if it's $10K, it's shit.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
That's not bad, to only have a $1K deductible.

What about maximum level of cover?

If it's $1M+, that's really good, if it's $10K, it's shit.
No, 1k Sterling. They work in sterling, presumably as you are purchasing in the UK...... maybe I will check that

The max level of cover is £2M.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have read that other people have used their NHS card or a letter from their GP to prove being covered by the NHS - from what I have read, different insurers will likely accept one or other but don't quote me on that.

Thanks all for the other responses, it will only be temporary as I should be covered by my wife's employers group insurance which kicks in during April, so I guess taking a temporary policy and not doing anything risky (although I do want to go snowboarding!) is my way forward for now. What is difficult for newbies is knowing what to look out for in terms of coverage, exclusions, etc... It is a real minefield of information.

Do not go snowboarding without full health insurance - could be disastrous
Old Mar 1st 2012, 6:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

No, 1k Sterling. They work in sterling, presumably as you are purchasing in the UK...... maybe I will check that

The max level of cover is £2M.
That's still really good then.

But I wouldn't go skiing with a maximum limit to cover
Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Do not go snowboarding without full health insurance - could be disastrous
Don't panic, I wouldn't dare!

I decided to compare Cigna and Patriot America. Patriot was cheaper but I went with Cigna as it seemed to offer better coverage. The sign up for this temporary policy is much easier than 'proper' insurance and a lot quicker. Hopefully I won't need to use it, and will be able to change to a full group plan quickly. thanks all for your help.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is a bit old, but probably the best place for this question. How long is temporary cover for?

From the quote I got from Cigna, it was 12 months. The problem is, if I found employment within 2 months plus insurance, then I'm still tied to a 12 month contract. And that's money down the drain.

If anyone's curious btw, the terms of my quote were only for "catastrophic" cover, though it appears to go up to $3 mill max pay out, including surgery, cancer and psychiatric care. I know these terms may change after a questionnaire, but hey ho. It's what I'm looking for right now.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
This thread is a bit old, but probably the best place for this question. How long is temporary cover for?

From the quote I got from Cigna, it was 12 months. The problem is, if I found employment within 2 months plus insurance, then I'm still tied to a 12 month contract. And that's money down the drain.

If anyone's curious btw, the terms of my quote were only for "catastrophic" cover, though it appears to go up to $3 mill max pay out, including surgery, cancer and psychiatric care. I know these terms may change after a questionnaire, but hey ho. It's what I'm looking for right now.
The Seven Corners one will run for how ever many *days* you want, from 1 to something like 2 years, and it can be renewed before it runs out. This is what I did before I eventually got cover. However, it doesn't go up to the 3mil mark, nowhere near. How lucky do you feel?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you actually signed papers which say you have to pay for 12 months?

Premiums, benefits, deductibles etc are usually quoted as per month, per annum but, unless there is something different in your policy you don't sign a contract to pay something for a minimum time.

Husband and I have had individual contracts for several years.

When hubby decided to drop his cover, we just gave a 30 day notice. The company did not even respond, just stopped billing us.

I don't believe there is a "contract" to fulfill. Basically you take on a policy, and if you stop paying it so does the insurance company's obligation to pay for your health costs. On the same basis if the insurance company does not like something about your claim/history etc they can stop covering you at their will.

You can terminate the policy when you like.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

SoundsFishy is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be in this situation in the next couple of months (hopefully!) .. has anybody experienced any more short term initial healthcare insurance companies... ?

Geoff.. would you use seven corners if you were doing it all again.. or some other option ?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

I used cigna global. Was "signed up" for 12 mths but paid monthly and cancelled after the first month. There were no issues with cancelling, i found the cigna global contacts very helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.