Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Luton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really nice
Default Re: new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

Where i currently live at(sierra vista), they have a checkpoint on your way to tucson and another one on your way to benson through tombstone. I use to work for a delivery company delivery appliances for sears. When we went through the checkpoints, the would ask us if we are u.s. citizens, and i sad no of course, then the would ask what country i would say i am a british citizen and the would say ok, have a nice day. I was only asked for my green card once i believe.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:22 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Well naturally as the article points, if you get rid of the illegal immigrants, and replace with the people they affect most, African-Americans (who tend to be largely unskilled), wages would go up, and naturally higher wages means higher contributions for taxes. I think that'll eventually either balance out, or make a "profit" as in they will contribute more tax than just balancing out

Read the first source I quoted http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/...nd_low_wa.html

The reason why those Americans are not looking for jobs is illegal immigrants depress wages in certain sectors, namely the unskilled labor market. I doubt anyone here would want to be paid $3 or so an hour when minimum wage is $7.15+ across the country.

You have to look at the broader picture. Are they receiving unemployment benefits? One of my friends is one of those people that got laid off as a result of the economy, but he's eligible to get lots of unemployment (3 years according to him) thanks to the unemployment extensions granted by the Congress. So he's not gonna go out and look for work when he can get paid for free. Also, some of the unemployed have families to look after, so some of those might not want to work at a job where minimum wage is offered with no benefits that can't support their family
Chris, I just want to confirm that you have understood that not everything you read is true. You do understand that, right?

I assume you also understand that anything written regarding political matters will have a political bias in one direction or another? Do you understand that Fox News is not "fair and balanced" and neither is any other media outlet?

Calling something a "source" doesn't make it the truth. You are posting other people's opinions as authority on immigration. If there was some fundamental "truth" at the heart of the immigration fiasco in this country, it would have been fixed long ago.

Many of us on these boards came here and "took an American job". How do you think people in our lines of business feel about that? Do you think it's right or fair to give visas to foreign workers? Are we driving down US wages in our fields? I'm much more interested in YOUR point of view than in those spouted by armchair politicians and bloggers.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

The reason why those Americans are not looking for jobs is illegal immigrants depress wages in certain sectors, namely the unskilled labor market. I doubt anyone here would want to be paid $3 or so an hour when minimum wage is $7.15+ across the country.

You have to look at the broader picture. Are they receiving unemployment benefits? One of my friends is one of those people that got laid off as a result of the economy, but he's eligible to get lots of unemployment (3 years according to him) thanks to the unemployment extensions granted by the Congress. So he's not gonna go out and look for work when he can get paid for free. Also, some of the unemployed have families to look after, so some of those might not want to work at a job where minimum wage is offered with no benefits that can't support their family
There are plenty of American workers who get little or no benefits through their jobs. Some pay quite well too.

Some believe removing illegal labor will cause the wages will go up, I can't see how it will happen. An $8 Walmart job will always be $8ph. It isn't magically suddenly gonna become a $20ph job. In an ideal world, the skills and experience somebody brings to a job should set the rate. There are exceptions, Wall Street bankers perhaps

I have known people who have hired illegal workers, pay them the same rate and withhold taxes just the same as a legal worker. Other than them not being legal, how is it undermining the system especially with regard to lowering wages? Unless they are paying them under the table, it still has to go through the books.

That article mentions FAIRUS.org who have an agenda as do ALIPAC and the CIS
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
They already have instances of Hispanics being confronted/forced to prove their status now, including those who were born and raised in America.

More and more I'm convinced that Arizona is really messed up with it comes to their laws. Too many people fancying themselves as in the 'wild wild west' perhaps.
This one will be over turned in federal courts.

AZ is not the first state to try something against illegals, wont be the last one either.

Google 187 and California.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
This one will be over turned in federal courts.

AZ is not the first state to try something against illegals, wont be the last one either.

Google 187 and California.
I'm thinking beyond their policies on illegal immigration. For example, why anyone would think it's a good idea to allow concealed carry in bars is beyond me ... but Arizona recently has decided this is a good idea.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bob don't be so quick of calling them racist, because of it were China on our border, then they would be frisking and profiling for Chinese, if it was Russia, they'd look for Russians.
No. It's crap. They won't be using the law to check on the Irish, or anyone that's not white and local.

How are they to know if those folks aren't US Citizens?

It's PR rubbish to look like they are tackling the problem as a front for racial discrimination, simple as that.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:23 am
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

.... For example, why anyone would think it's a good idea to allow concealed carry in bars is beyond me ... but Arizona recently has decided this is a good idea.
That's another can of worms.... (And sorry to get off-topic)

Do you agree with these premises:

1)Only law abiding citizens obey the law. Criminals ignore the law.
2)There is no easy way to Only way to check for a CONCEALED weapon possession.

It follows that if it is legally forbidden to carry a concealed firearm into a bar, and there is no way to easily enforce the regulation, only those that don't follow the law will carry concealed firearms to the bar. This is the current scenario (and one that sucks)

Another side....
In Texas, Gun ownership is quite loose, and quite frequently a Robber is shot by the homeowner. Although I have never had a gun at home, I think of this as "herd immunity caused by fear", many burglars are concerned they will be shot if they enter an occupied home, because so many citizens exercise their right to have weapons. The legal right of citizens to have a weapon at home and use it to defend themselves discourages robberies, even if I choose not to exercise that right. In Texas homeowners are very well protected legally from prosecution and liability when defending house and property against robbery.

Criminals carry weapons everywhere. I don't mind a trained civilian having that same opportunity to carry a concealed weapon without fear of prosecution.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Errr...if you can't have a gun in a bar, most people would leave them behind....someone becomes a piss head in a bar with a gun...great combo.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:49 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Errr...if you can't have a gun in a bar, most people would leave them behind....someone becomes a piss head in a bar with a gun...great combo.
States that allow carry in bars typically disallow carry when inebriated. It is possible to go on licensed premises and not get pissed, you know?

You also appear to have ignored A I's point about how criminals tend to break laws...
Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not have a gun, I do have a gun rack, left behind by previous owner.

But I am sure everybody assumes I do have one and acts accordingly.

I would be more interested in having a gun for my trips back to the UK.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

brit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to all

More and more I'm convinced that Arizona is really messed up with it comes to their laws. Too many people fancying themselves as in the 'wild wild west' perhaps.[/QUOTE]

Our small border town here in Arizona is still trying to get to grips with the fact that a well-respected member of the community has just been murdered in cold blood on his own land. In some ways, this still is 'the wild west'.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

You're thinking grocery prices only. What about everything else? Tax implications? Social security contributions?
Arizona's housing construction boom - now bust - was supposedly fueled by cheap illegal immigrant labour.

As for taxes etc, it's not a one way street. Many illegals, for example, pay social security taxes and never collect a cent in return. Of course, otoh, many avail themselves of services such as emergency rooms and leave everyone else to pick up the tab.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I wonder what happens to those USC's who look or speak like some of the illegal or legal immigrants, Do you have to prove you are an American? It sounds like a huge can of worms is being opened.
Yes. If you travel on public transportation near southern border areas, it's not uncommon for the bus to stop at a BP checkpoint for an ID check, and yes, they profile by race. I don't know about the northern border, I haven't traveled much in those areas.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:10 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
It is possible to go on licensed premises and not get pissed, you know?
No... sorry.... you've lost me...
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:15 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
No... sorry.... you've lost me...
I think she means you wouldn't get pissed at a licensed premises because you'd already be pissed by the time you got there. HTH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.