Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to america and need help urgently

Wikiposts

New to america and need help urgently

Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to america and need help urgently

OK, I'll say what everyone else is thinking - and if I'm wrong (which I don't think I am), I apologize.

I call foul. For many reasons.

First, someone on holiday is unlikely to find an ex-pats' website.
Second, if it were me, I'd be hitting F5 constantly to see what help was offered, if any. There has not been a single response since the original post, getting on for 24 hours ago.
Third, if I really WAS in that kind of trouble, I'd be putting my general location in the message if I got that far.
Fourth, it's not hard to find someone to help you make a call to a bank - or even a family member back home. Especially if there's the possibility of a payout at the end of it.

Finally, who travels without at least TWO sources of money?
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:47 am
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
For future reference (and for anyone else reading), you should have contacted your bank prior to travelling to tell them that you will be using your card in one or more foreign countries.

That said, I suggest you either sell some personal items to raise some cash, or see if the airline will consider an earlier return flight.

Ian
I was going to say the exact same thing to the OP when I first saw this yesterday for the next time he or she left the country but I did not fell comfortable saying that. This is very good advice for anybody going on any trip overseas. Thank You ian-mstm for this advice.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:52 am
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Guindalf
OK, I'll say what everyone else is thinking - and if I'm wrong (which I don't think I am), I apologize.

First, someone on holiday is unlikely to find an ex-pats' website.
Second, if it were me, I'd be hitting F5 constantly to see what help was offered, if any. There has not been a single response since the original post, getting on for 24 hours ago.
Third, if I really WAS in that kind of trouble, I'd be putting my general location in the message if I got that far.
Fourth, it's not hard to find someone to help you make a call to a bank - or even a family member back home. Especially if there's the possibility of a payout at the end of it.

Finally, who travels without at least TWO sources of money?
All very good points but the OP could also be telling the truth about what was going on but I do see where you are coming from. But I definitely agree with you about carrying two sources of money. It is always a good idea to do just that and just common sense.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

... There has not been a single response since the original post, getting on for 24 hours ago.
While I do tend to agree with your overall conclusion, I think that, if anything, the fact that the OP has (apparently) not been back for 24 hours tends to lend some credence to the story - trolls usually can't resist coming back to stir things up - and of course, if they really are completely out of money they may be relying on access to free WiFi for their internet connectivity which, depending on where they are, may be limited.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:16 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Also, if OP has succeeded in sorting out his/her problem since posting, it may not occur to him/her to come back with the resolution.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a whole TV programme a couple of years ago (in the UK) dedicated to the issue of informing your bank if you are going to travel overseas.

Conclusion was that the decision to block a card is a computer decision and informing your bank does not make any difference. They featured many people who had been stuck abroad with no money despite informing their bank that they were travelling.

The banks still tell people to inform them but who knows why?
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 12:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
There was a whole TV programme a couple of years ago (in the UK) dedicated to the issue of informing your bank if you are going to travel overseas.

Conclusion was that the decision to block a card is a computer decision and informing your bank does not make any difference. They featured many people who had been stuck abroad with no money despite informing their bank that they were travelling.

The banks still tell people to inform them but who knows why?
Depends on the bank....most, when informed will put in a manual over ride of a block on the card for specific dates and/or locations, so even if flagged during those times and spots the card won't be shut off.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 12:48 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

I never informed my various banks over many many visits to the US, and I never had any kind of problem.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 12:54 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
I never informed my various banks over many many visits to the US, and I never had any kind of problem.
I never had any problems with HSBC either - despite dozens of trips abroad.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP.....You've obviously got internet access.....why not skype your bank???
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I get e mails on a similar basis on a semi regular basis from people I have never heard of.

But amusing.

PS I have never had a problem using my CC's abroad.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I never had any problems with HSBC either - despite dozens of trips abroad.
HSBC is pretty good with this. They detected an unusual usage pattern on my ATM card once when I was driving cross country and used my ATM card to gas up along I-80 while my wife was back in NJ using her card. (same account). One phonecall cleared it up, and notifying them ahead of time for the next trip like that prevented the cards from being blocked when they would see a similar pattern.

This was back in the day when gas was cheap and I would drive out to Utah for a week of off-roading with my Land Rover buddies once a year.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 10:05 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discoviking
Good advice, and I agree 100%. In addition, I would recommend contacting your bank to notify them(for those of us living in the US) if you are travelling domestically, and will be far from home. I learned this the hard way on one of my cross country roadtrips, using my ATM card to gas up every 300 miles or so along I-80.
i work for a bank and have spent time observing in the kind of dept. that actualy handles the transactions that dont follow pattern and get flagged. Yes you can always ring them and advise them up front - and that will help for any flagged transaction that is presented for human scrutiny as the bank analyst will be able to see the comments placed in the call history and would likley approve it. However - it does NOT guarantee that the automated system wont stop the transactions in the first place. (and really - would you ever want a 'process any foreign transction flag thats presented' set on you account? i wouldnt. The pain in the bum for you guys is the length of time it takes the IT system to feed the 'suspect out of pattern transaction' in front of a human analyst. If that happens quickly they can clear the block. if they system is backlogged it can take a while.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 12:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sal_68
I am a uK citizen on holiday in america. I went to mexico and used my debit card there. as a result my bank blocked my debit card. now i am back in america and cant use my atm. my bank is lloyds tsb. i have no money at all to call my bank. i have emailed them to no avail. Can anyone suggest any help?
Fake
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Fake
Took you a while to figure that out ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.