Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Never loose your green card!

Never loose your green card!

Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

marianne312001 will become famous soon enoughmarianne312001 will become famous soon enough
Default Never loose your green card!

I had my wallet stolen 4 months ago. It contained my green card and social security card.
I've filled to replace my green card, but it takes 6 months for it to come through and social security wont issue a new card until my green card comes in.
The real bummer is that I was offered a new job yesterday but cant take the position because they need proof I can work in this country.

Does anyone here have any bright ideas on how I can take this job before my green card gets in?

Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Never loose your green card!

Originally Posted by marianne312001
I had my wallet stolen 4 months ago. It contained my green card and social security card.
I've filled to replace my green card, but it takes 6 months for it to come through and social security wont issue a new card until my green card comes in.
The real bummer is that I was offered a new job yesterday but cant take the position because they need proof I can work in this country.

Does anyone here have any bright ideas on how I can take this job before my green card gets in?

Does a previous employer have a photocopy?
Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

go get a temporary I-551 in your passport from your local district office.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

marianne312001 will become famous soon enoughmarianne312001 will become famous soon enough

Dunroving, Manc, thanks for replying!

I have an appointment to see someone at the INS office in a few weeks, but was told on the phone by an INS representative they may or may not stamp my passport. The representative claimed a new rule came into effect as of 31st May that prevents them from doing that. This seems pretty stupid to me. If your legally in this country you NEED something to show your legal! You never know if you may need to leave the country for an emergency, or loose your job and need proof of your status etc. There are a whole miriad of problems that could arise from this.

As for checking with a previous employer, I will most definatly get in touch with them and see if they still have me on file.

Thanks again guys
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:18 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

In case it's any help this page has some really useful info and a full list of acceptable documents to prove employment eligability.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sibsie
In case it's any help this page has some really useful info and a full list of acceptable documents to prove employment eligability.
OK, nowhere on that list states that the letter you get (I-797??) to extend your Green Card for 1 year whilst it is being processes is acceptable as proof you can work. Why? You can still work. Why is it not on the list?
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie

that's not the problem. the problem is a lack of a social security card to show the new employer which is mandatory. One does not have to show their green card for employment unless the social security card as the work authorization needed legend on it.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishInOhio
OK, nowhere on that list states that the letter you get (I-797??) to extend your Green Card for 1 year whilst it is being processes is acceptable as proof you can work. Why? You can still work. Why is it not on the list?

Because it is hoped by the time you are at the removal of condition stage you would have been smart enough to go to the SSA office and had the legend removed. They are not allowed to ask you to prove work authorization if you can fullfill the documentation requirements with other documents on the lI-9. However, if your SSC has the legend that you need work authorization from CIS then of course they are going to ask for proof.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Because it is hoped by the time you are at the removal of condition stage you would have been smart enough to go to the SSA office and had the legend removed. They are not allowed to ask you to prove work authorization if you can fullfill the documentation requirements with other documents on the lI-9. However, if your SSC has the legend that you need work authorization from CIS then of course they are going to ask for proof.
Crap, I never did that! But come to think of it I have never been asked to show my SS card only my Green Card for every job I've had, 3 since I hahve been here.
I still have a couple of months left on my 2 yr GC, can I apply for a new SS card by mail or do I have to take a vactaion day and go down the office to show them my GC before I get a SS without the valid to work with proof bit on it?
Old Jul 12th 2005, 6:26 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

So the moral of this story is never keep your social security card in your wallet/purse.
With identity theft so rife these days too, you'll need to research what can be done to curb your credit history going down the pan.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 6:54 pm
Concierge

Crap, I never did that! But come to think of it I have never been asked to show my SS card only my Green Card for every job I've had, 3 since I hahve been here.
I still have a couple of months left on my 2 yr GC, can I apply for a new SS card by mail or do I have to take a vactaion day and go down the office to show them my GC before I get a SS without the valid to work with proof bit on it?

Don't believe you can do it via mail as you have to show your green card. You can go to any SSA office to do this. Is there one never your place of business that you can use?
Old Jul 12th 2005, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

I am in exactly the same position, and though I have learnt my lesson and will NEVER carry my residency card and SS card around in my wallet, the lesson doesn't do me much good right now as my employer is breathing down my neck to proove that I am still eligable to work. I got a new (unrestricted) SS card on the basis of the temporary I-551 stamp in my passport. Thaough that satisfies the 'proof of eligibility to work' section of the I-9, my British passport is no longer considered proof of ID, so I now have to apply for a state ID card! And though I applied for a replacement I-551 card six weeks ago, I haven't even recieved a receipt of application yet!

The shit never ends.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:12 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Just memorize your SSN. It should come quite easily 'cos one finds one has to quote it from time to time. My SS card has never been in my purse. Even if it was, it's only a piece of card and will probably fall apart pretty quickly.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 13th 2005, 5:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an appointment to see someone at the INS office in a few weeks, but was told on the phone by an INS representative they may or may not stamp my passport. The representative claimed a new rule came into effect as of 31st May that prevents them from doing that. T
For what its worth I was told the same, the reason given was too easy to forge.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just went down the SS office this morning and asked for a duplicate. Filled out the sheet, showed tham my GC with 2 months left on it, showed them my drivers liecense. Was told it will arrive in the post in 2 weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.