Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Never driven.....

Never driven.....

Old Jan 1st 2015, 11:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Never driven.....

Originally Posted by Owen778
What did you do for ID before that? Did you carry your passport around with you?
Until I became a USC I always presented my Green Card when asked for ID. I was only ever asked what it was on two occasions. It was never rejected as a valid form of ID.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

Driver license is typical ID asked for anywhere I've lived or travelled in US, plus I don't know where you'll be living but this is very much a car-based society most places.

When I arrived in US I already had UK license and had to take a written test first, then supposedly a driving test, but the policeman asked me how many years I'd been driving and just had me drive around the block!

One interesting thing when I took my son to get his first license age 16- we had to take proof of ID and his UK birth certificate meant nothing to them, the DMV would not accept it. I think we used his citizenship certificate instead, or his US passport.

As an aside, and following on from the 'immigration rules' discussion elsewhere- starting Jan 2 undocumented immigrants in CA will be able to get driving licenses...and the new law prohibits use of the info to prosecute for immigration reasons. We're still messing about with it in TX, the other state with huge numbers of undocumented people. There's a reality gap about it being unfair to the people who come legally/ deterrent etc. even though 7 %+ of TX population is undocumented and no law enforcement has been able to stop it.

Back on topic- my son had to drive with a test examiner a route after he passed his written test and filled out all the paperwork. No medical in TX though you have to sign to say you don't have certain conditions, and there's a basic eye test at the DMV.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Until I became a USC I always presented my Green Card when asked for ID. I was only ever asked what it was on two occasions. It was never rejected as a valid form of ID.
It has for me...when trying to get booze
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It has for me...when trying to get booze. ....
Maybe you look more shifty than me.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward
When I arrived in US I already had UK license and had to take a written test first, then supposedly a driving test, but the policeman asked me how many years I'd been driving and just had me drive around the block!
I can't work out from your posts which state you moved to when you first came to the US, but that, plus the parallel parking test at the start, basically is the driving test in Texas. If you first took your test at the Grant Road location, I can tell you the exact route they normally use.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 3:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you look more shifty than me.
A lot of the grocery stores down here and up in Maine will only accept that states driving license or liquor/state ID and then with managers approval, will accept neighbouring state drivers licenses.

They won't accept passports, military ID's or anything else.

Going to a offie, they tend to be more flexible though.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 1:16 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stribs
Hi..

Im going over to the US on the K1 and getting married end of April. I have never driven in the UK.
Then you'll fit in jsut fine with the other L drivers that plague the roads here.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
What did you do for ID before that? Did you carry your passport around with you?
Green Card. Had to use it twice I think, plus with SSC to get my NYS learner's permit. The only time I ever showed it to officialdom (other than CBP and th DMV) was to an NYPD officer and he'd never seen one before.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs
Green Card. ...... he'd never seen one before.
Him, and 99.99% of all other Americans (who don't have an immigrant in their family)!
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...s/pub195nc.pdf

In addition to the driving requirements, K1 visa holder needs the following docs:
-Passport
- I-94
- Visa or other official evidence as determined by PennDOT
- Social Security Card, or letter from SSA indicating that SSA did not make a decision yet, or SSA rejection letter
- Marriage Certificate showing proof of marriage to U.S. Citizen
- Proof of Citizenship of spouse
- 2 proofs of residency (as per link listed above).

I have found in my dealings with PennDOT that they just go exactly by that sheet. Where in PA are you coming to?

You will need proof of residency, and yes you need the medical form. It just says you don't have a seizure or other disorder which could affect your driving safety.

I got my learner's, then drove my own car in (you can't take the test in a rental for some reason), took the computer test, drove around the block, parked and got my PA license. They were very strict about issuing until the expiration of your I-94 only.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by augigi
....., then drove my own car in (you can't take the test in a rental for some reason), .....
You can (unless there is a law in PA prohibiting it), but it depends on the rental contract and specifically whether the contract allows the renter to use the car for a road test and therefore whether they are insured to use the car in a road test. ..... I took my road test in a rental vehicle, in NY, funnily enough in an SUV!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 3rd 2015 at 2:37 am.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

You can (unless there is a law in PA prohibiting it)
No, you can't. PennDOT rule.

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - FAQ - Driver's Test Scheduling