Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Never driven.....

Never driven.....

Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Never driven.....

Hi..

Im going over to the US on the K1 and getting married end of April. I have never driven in the UK. Does this affect me getting a permit in the US? i have read on the Pennsylvania dvla site and they state i need to provide a social security number when applying for a learners permit.

When can i apply for a social security number?
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Never driven.....

Wait 10 days after you've been in the country and you should be able to apply for a SS number at the local SS office.

Lx
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No, having no previous driving experience should have no impact on getting a learners permit in the USA.

Rene
Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

Its tough to get a gage of how long the whole process takes. So i can get social security number before getting married. That would be good.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stribs
Its tough to get a gage of how long the whole process takes. So i can get social security number before getting married. That would be good.
What "whole process" are you referring to? Yes, you can get a SSN before getting married.

Rene
Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

From getting a learning permit to being legal to drive. Im sure it is state specific and i will have to chase them up.

I thought all you needed to work was a SSN, are you able to work before marriage without applying for a temporary work permit which j was told could take 3 months and a big expense.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have a permit, the length of the process depends on:
1. How long it takes you to be competent to pass the driver test.
and
2. How early a date you can get when you make the test appointment.

Bear in mind you may also have to do a written test or instruction before getting the permit, depending on your state and your age.

Also, bear in mind that most (all?) US driving tests are very easy compared to the UK.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You will be treated as a new driver in the US, and most people here on BE were able to do an abbreviated process to get a full US state-issued licence because we already had the road/ behind the wheel experience. In addition to any required classroom training you will likely have to complete a number of hours of driving lessons and/or accompanied driving experience before you can take a road test.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

I had heard the test was reasonably simple. I had a test in the UK but reversed to wide around the corner so failed. Never tried again. Expensive business.

Where my fiancee lives does not have great public transport, so feel i need to drive to open job opportunities so hoping a pain free process.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You will be treated as a new driver in the US, and most people here on BE were able to do an abbreviated process to get a full US state-issued licence because we already had the road/ behind the wheel experience. In addition to any required classroom training you will likely have to complete a number of hours of driving lessons and/or accompanied driving experience before you can take a road test.
That's the bit i feared getting so many hours behind me logged. I hoped being 28 was get past that
Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That's the bit i feared getting so many hours behind me logged. I hoped being 28 was get past that
I saw on your post that "passed" mine, that you had lessons and took a test in the UK. Depending on the requirements, you might be able to attest to enough behind-the-wheel time to satisfy your local state requirements.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:51 pm

Regarding permission to work, you need to apply for an EAD when you submit your AOS package.

You should ask immigration form and process questions in the Marriage Based forum.

Rene
Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry that just came up.

Thank you for the driving information all
Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the PA state driver's manual, it appears that the number of hours logged requirement only applies to those under the age of 18.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I can't comment for Pennsylvania, but that isn't true for Texas. Don't assume that everywhere is the same as what you did.

Here are the instructions for Pennsylvania:
Getting Your Driver’s License

Basically, they are:
- Get medical form done by a doctor or other healthcare provider
- Study for knowledge test
- Visit Driver License Center, with medical form, all immigration documents, SSN card, proof of ID and residency, a check or money order (credit cards not listed!)
- Pass eye screening and knowledge test at Driver License Center
- Schedule and pass a road test

Nothing about driving hours or anything similar. Just like Texas, the rules are different for under-18s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.