Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Netflix or Blockbuster?

Netflix or Blockbuster?

Old Nov 21st 2005, 12:12 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Netflix or Blockbuster?

I've had Netflix for a couple of years, and found the service great and the selection fantastic. I'm a bit tempted to switch to Blockbuster but only for the free in store rentals. My concerns with switching are:

1. The length of time it may take to get a new film (Netflix has a place very near me so I get my new films back within 2 days of sending back the old one).

2. The selection available - I found that they do not have one, admittedly obscure, film that is currently in my Netflix queue.

Can anyone give an informed comparison?

Thanks
Old Nov 21st 2005, 12:16 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix or Blockbuster?

Originally Posted by neil
I've had Netflix for a couple of years, and found the service great and the selection fantastic. I'm a bit tempted to switch to Blockbuster but only for the free in store rentals. My concerns with switching are:

1. The length of time it may take to get a new film (Netflix has a place very near me so I get my new films back within 2 days of sending back the old one).

2. The selection available - I found that they do not have one, admittedly obscure, film that is currently in my Netflix queue.

Can anyone give an informed comparison?

Thanks
I had Netflix when I first came here and their service sucked. They were forever changing their prices so I cancelled and went to Blockbuster.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

The delivery is quick but it all depends on where you are in relation to a distribution center. Our DVDs arrive in 2 days which is pretty good.

Like you say, you also get two free in store DVD or game rentals per month plus other coupons to use (free ex-rental DVD, in store discounts, etc.).

Now that I've used both, I definitely prefer Blockbuster and would never go back to Netflix.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 12:52 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
I had Netflix when I first came here and their service sucked. They were forever changing their prices so I cancelled and went to Blockbuster.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

The delivery is quick but it all depends on where you are in relation to a distribution center. Our DVDs arrive in 2 days which is pretty good.

Like you say, you also get two free in store DVD or game rentals per month plus other coupons to use (free ex-rental DVD, in store discounts, etc.).

Now that I've used both, I definitely prefer Blockbuster and would never go back to Netflix.
Thanks. I haven't had service problems with Netflix at all, and delivery is quick which is why I'm a bit unsure about changing. I think they're the same price so it will be the extras that swing it. I think I'll give it a try.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 3:05 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Netflix all the way - those a**holes at Blockbuster gave me a pirated video for a rental once, so it's personal
Old Nov 21st 2005, 3:41 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Netflix all the way for us, I love their service & have never had any problems with them. Most of my friends use Netflix, one uses Blockbuster & told me it takes him 1 week for DVD turnaround, it only takes us 2 days, but that would depend on your location.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 3:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I switched to Netflix to avoid dealing with in-store queues, so the Blockbuster "extra in store" deal makes no difference to me.

Netflix has been great for me and I believe in customer loyalty so I wouldn't switch to Blockbuster personally. Besides, Blockbuster made the change not because they love their customers but because of the bad PR they were getting in comparison to Netflix.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use Netflix, which is a good service; however the delivery times increased about 2 months into my subscription from 1 day to 3 days, so I dumped them after a few months (another contributing factor was my DVR).

They've just settled a lawsuit in CA: http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/02...suit_sett.html

Maybe some people here are eligible for a one month upgrade.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 3:56 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I used to use Netflix, which is a good service; however the delivery times increased about 2 months into my subscription from 1 day to 3 days, so I dumped them after a few months (another contributing factor was my DVR).

They've just settled a lawsuit in CA: http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/02...suit_sett.html

That would be me!!!
Old Nov 21st 2005, 5:40 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

They sent out an email about that, as I said we've never had problems with Netflix, send one back Monday, get new one on Wednesday, but the distribution centre is local. Is there any way to find out where Blockbuster has it's distribution centre before signing up?
Old Nov 21st 2005, 8:45 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I have Blockbuster membership and have considered Netflix. I haven't got the Netflix membership because to make it worth my while, I'd have to rent two films a month but we wouldn't get round to seeing two films a month.

Consequently, when I do rent films, I've been going to the local independent film rental place, called VisArt. They have an infinitely better choice than Blockbuster.

Where else could you rent the original version of Willlard (the film about killer rats) on VHS?

NC Penguin
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:07 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

I used to use blockbuster.......they were ok.....a few mistakes with the dvds, fairly slow delivery........

i switched to netflix, much quicker, although they have a sorting office very close by.

one thing for blockbuster; i mistakenly sent a blockbuster dvd to netflix, and offered to pay, but they said it didnt matter, and let me off.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:37 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Where else could you rent the original version of Willlard (the film about killer rats) on VHS?

NC Penguin
They still make those
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:05 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
They still make those
What, Killer Rats? Yeah, they're not obsolete yet. I have a few.

As for VHS...

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:21 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Tried both

Netflix - No problems. Sent a DVD on the Monday, got a new one on Wednesday etc. I hammered the service for all it was worth and they never slowed down sending the discs.

Blockbuster - Total crap. Took three days to get a DVD to me. Even took them a day just to process the ones I sent back.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 3:21 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I have a service where I get the latest release delivered to my house, I watch the movie when I want and then it gets taken back. Doesn't cost me a
penny in fee's.

It's called "a wife".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.