Netflix

Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix

Yep, my only real complaint about Netflix has been the occasional disk that stopped functioning properly because it was dirty and just needed a wash. One came smashed by the USPS sorting machine, one came cracked, and one, like yours, stopped working properly after about 70 minutes of play and couldn't be fixed. That one ticked me off, I can't imagine if it happened several times in a row! Yes, definitely smash it before you send it back!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:45 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yep, my only real complaint about Netflix has been the occasional disk that stopped functioning properly because it was dirty and just needed a wash. One came smashed by the USPS sorting machine, one came cracked, and one, like yours, stopped working properly after about 70 minutes of play and couldn't be fixed. That one ticked me off, I can't imagine if it happened several times in a row! Yes, definitely smash it before you send it back!
Been with them for 9 months not had a prob I used to be with walmart but they stopped and passed me onto netflix for the same great price I love the way they do the widescreen on 1 side and the full on the other its a pain when you have to zoom in and you miss whats happening on the sides hahaha 1 disc disappeared out the mail box reported it no probs. haven't come across a bad disc yet touch wood....
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:10 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
'Five Children and It'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366450/

I watched the TV version when I was a kid & absolutely loved it, so I wanted to see if this one was as good.
oooh I've picked that up and put it back a bunch of times. Is it any good then? i mean you at least saw half I've never heard of it..it must have gone straight to video so I was weary of picking it up...will the kids enjoy it then?
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:31 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
oooh I've picked that up and put it back a bunch of times. Is it any good then? i mean you at least saw half I've never heard of it..it must have gone straight to video so I was weary of picking it up...will the kids enjoy it then?
Definitely!!! It's a top 5* family film. We watched it a few weekends ago and my kids loved it, even the youngest who normally gives up on every film after 10 minutes. We watched it one wet and windy sunday afternoon, it was just like being back 'home' for the afternoon. Every review I've seen on the net thinks it's great too.
There's even a cameo appearance by Norman Wisdom! Priceless!
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

NeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Definitely!!! It's a top 5* family film. We watched it a few weekends ago and my kids loved it, even the youngest who normally gives up on every film after 10 minutes. We watched it one wet and windy sunday afternoon, it was just like being back 'home' for the afternoon. Every review I've seen on the net thinks it's great too.
There's even a cameo appearance by Norman Wisdom! Priceless!
I've not seen this version but I remember watching the CBBC series based on the same book some years back.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/fivechildren/
Old Feb 25th 2006, 1:11 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeilW
I've not seen this version but I remember watching the CBBC series based on the same book some years back.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/fivechildren/
Oh yeah, I remember that series now, didn't connect the 2 together before. The Phoenix and the Carpet was a good'un too.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 4:05 am
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

is this the one with the weird looking hairy gollum type thing who lives in a sand pit, and grants wishes or something?
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:34 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

The movie played fine, except for the last 20 minutes
It's a great movie, especially the last 20 mins
Hope you get it sorted girlie
Old Feb 25th 2006, 1:42 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to try another response for you...It *IS* possible there is a bug in your firmware of your DVD player so the suggestion to play it in another player is a good one.

A DVD reader reads compressed data, TONS of it, as fast as possible. Like all disks, the bit in the middle has less surface area (track) then the ones in the middle. If it's a particularly long movie, then a combination of a firmware blip, overlapping data tracks and surface head (laser read), could just mean, this disk cannot be read in this player.

Just a thought, although rare, it's possible. A permanent marker pen on the DVD or reading the DVD in another player would tell you.

But everyone remember, even scratches etc., near the end of the disk/long movie can result in unreadability.

Is it just me or does everyone remember when we were first sold on DVD / CD's as being more resilient.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 2:34 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s

Is it just me or does everyone remember when we were first sold on DVD / CD's as being more resilient.
nope! i remember them saying things like 'you could eat your dinner off it and it would still work'
yeah, right,
and why would you do that anyway?
Old Feb 25th 2006, 2:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently if you have too many a month ..Netflix slows your supply down ...
http://writ.news.findlaw.com/ramasastry/20060224.html
Old Feb 25th 2006, 3:10 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cutina
nope! i remember them saying things like 'you could eat your dinner off it and it would still work'
yeah, right,
and why would you do that anyway?
Yes, I still remember the first time they showed them on the "Tomorrow's World" program. They were putting cups of coffee on them and then playing them, among other fun things.

Apparently, that's how they made the first ones - relatively indestructible. But very soon after, the mass market ones were made to a reduced standard than the "prototypes".
Old Feb 25th 2006, 5:12 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I liked it because it reminded me of when I was younger. It's pretty funny, Freddie Highmore is very comical & has some great lines, just look at the quotes on the link I provided. I think the kids will probably like it because it's a bit of a magical/mystical movie.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 5:27 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
I'm going to try another response for you...It *IS* possible there is a bug in your firmware of your DVD player so the suggestion to play it in another player is a good one.

A DVD reader reads compressed data, TONS of it, as fast as possible. Like all disks, the bit in the middle has less surface area (track) then the ones in the middle. If it's a particularly long movie, then a combination of a firmware blip, overlapping data tracks and surface head (laser read), could just mean, this disk cannot be read in this player.

Just a thought, although rare, it's possible. A permanent marker pen on the DVD or reading the DVD in another player would tell you.

But everyone remember, even scratches etc., near the end of the disk/long movie can result in unreadability.

It's not a long movie (less than an 90 minutes), we've tried playing it in another player & it freezes in the same place, so it's definitely the disc & not our players. They have been sending us the same disc over & over again, because after the first 2 times, I wrote down the serial numbers on the sleeve & took note of some marks on the DVD, it is definitely the same disc.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

'Five Children and It'
I wouldnt want to watch that movie. I go home to that and more every night, thanks all the bloody same

Last edited by rushman; Feb 25th 2006 at 10:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.