Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nervously Awaiting Offer

Nervously Awaiting Offer

Old Jul 8th 2011, 12:25 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 72
bobbedford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nervously Awaiting Offer

Hi All

New to forum (as you can clearly see).

I'm currently working on a move to my company's offices in Chicago.

I currently work in London, in the City, reasonably well paid (about £75k + 100% bonus).

They are currently processing my offer, and expecting something over the next week or so. Have been reading all over the forum, and got some really good info on what I should be asking for etc.

I've seen conflicting messages up here - but presume I should be expecting something like $150,000?

I think I am most nervous about the relocation package.

Wish me luck!
bobbedford is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:00 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland County, Michigan
Posts: 846
NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervously Awaiting Offer

I guess the salary depends on the industry you're in, maybe worth checking some recruitment sites for the area you're moving to? Do you want to move permanently? Make sure your relocation package includes an application for a green card for you and family (I'm assuming you'll be going on an L1 visa so that should be fairly quick and straightforward), and that the medical insurance is adequate (including dental and vision) - check what your contribution will be, what the out of pocket amount (what you have to pay before the insurance kicks in), what your co-pays are. Bear in mind you will struggle to get credit for a while so see if your relocation package can cover some months rent and a car lease so you don't have to worry about passing credit checks to get those things.

Lots of posters have found this company very good:

http://assist.travelguardworldwide.c...61_254926.html

you pay a membership fee of around $500 and they will assist you with getting insurance, a credit card and bank account. We didn't find their quote that great but lots of people said that they saved the membership fee just on their car insurance quote.
NatashaB is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:25 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
lisa67's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Toasty in Texas
Posts: 4,240
lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervously Awaiting Offer

Originally Posted by bobbedford View Post
Hi All

New to forum (as you can clearly see).

I'm currently working on a move to my company's offices in Chicago.

I currently work in London, in the City, reasonably well paid (about £75k + 100% bonus).

They are currently processing my offer, and expecting something over the next week or so. Have been reading all over the forum, and got some really good info on what I should be asking for etc.

I've seen conflicting messages up here - but presume I should be expecting something like $150,000?

I think I am most nervous about the relocation package.

Wish me luck!
Welcome and good luck.
Plenty of threads on relocation packages etc so have a search
I'd also suggest that you make sure your contract includes the holiday entitlement you have in the UK.
lisa67 is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2011, 5:08 pm
  #4  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,772
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervously Awaiting Offer

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Check out Glassdoor and salary.com and also, there's a very good relocation packages article in the wiki that you should check out, covers things people have gotten, things people should ask for and what to expect.
Bob is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:59 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 72
bobbedford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nervously Awaiting Offer

My god... Little did I know that it would take my company until today to get me an offer!

So pay/ bonus, looks OK.

Medical - still need more details
Two round trip flights for me and wife
$6000 for rent
$800 car rental
One year tax advice
They will pay for me to sell my UK house and buy a new house (closing costs, estate agents fees all that) - although I don't need this as am keeping my house and renting. I am thinking of saying why don't you give me some cash to get my house ready to rent instread (redecor etc.) and agents fees for 1st year
Full transportation of our stuff

Any thoughts?
Any thoughts? Further to my other post I will be employed by the US arm and not seconded out of the UK.
bobbedford is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:38 pm
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 928
Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nervously Awaiting Offer

Originally Posted by bobbedford View Post
My god... Little did I know that it would take my company until today to get me an offer!

So pay/ bonus, looks OK.

Medical - still need more details
Two round trip flights for me and wife
$6000 for rent
$800 car rental
One year tax advice
They will pay for me to sell my UK house and buy a new house (closing costs, estate agents fees all that) - although I don't need this as am keeping my house and renting. I am thinking of saying why don't you give me some cash to get my house ready to rent instread (redecor etc.) and agents fees for 1st year
Full transportation of our stuff

Any thoughts?
Any thoughts? Further to my other post I will be employed by the US arm and not seconded out of the UK.
Find out what your annual leave allowance will be. It's usually much less with US employers than Brits are used to.
Squirrel is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:40 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 72
bobbedford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nervously Awaiting Offer

Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
Find out what your annual leave allowance will be. It's usually much less with US employers than Brits are used to.
It's 20 days - should have said that.
bobbedford is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:45 pm
  #8  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 928
Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nervously Awaiting Offer

What about pension arrangements?

Also don't forget if you're renting out your house in the UK you'll have to pay tax on it in the UK too.
Squirrel is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:00 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 1,714
Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervously Awaiting Offer

When and if they will apply for Greencard?
Orangepants is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:03 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
lisa67's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Toasty in Texas
Posts: 4,240
lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervously Awaiting Offer

Repatriation costs if you or your company decides you need to return to the UK
lisa67 is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:26 pm
  #11  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,867
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervously Awaiting Offer

Originally Posted by bobbedford View Post
Any thoughts?
Health insurance?

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:34 pm
  #12  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,799
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervously Awaiting Offer

Originally Posted by bobbedford View Post
Hi All

New to forum (as you can clearly see).

I'm currently working on a move to my company's offices in Chicago.

I currently work in London, in the City, reasonably well paid (about £75k + 100% bonus).

They are currently processing my offer, and expecting something over the next week or so. Have been reading all over the forum, and got some really good info on what I should be asking for etc.

I've seen conflicting messages up here - but presume I should be expecting something like $150,000?

I think I am most nervous about the relocation package.

Wish me luck!
Hello and welcome to BE.

I recommend you take a read through the BE Wiki. Also use the search engine to look for past threads on relocation packages...there's loads of info in the old threads.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:42 pm
  #13  
Arrogant ****
 
dbj1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 4,323
dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervously Awaiting Offer

Medical, the part that "needs more details" is probably the most important item on the list. They won't be paying you enough to make up for poor medical coverage.

As Orangepants said, this is probably your best time to get in writing that they will apply for a Green Card on your behalf, and when they will do it. It doesn't matter whether you think you'll want a Green Card or not... to get on you'll need your company's support, and this can prove very difficult further down the line, since it releases a certain level of "hold" that the company has over employees on company-sponsored visas.

It would be typical that the company would want you to work for them in the US for a year (sometimes more) before starting a Green Card application, but this is not a requirement. Be aware that a Green Card application can take many years in some cases!
dbj1000 is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 5:36 pm
  #14  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,772
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervously Awaiting Offer

Originally Posted by bobbedford View Post
It's 20 days - should have said that.
Is that "vacation" or total, including public holidays and sick days? If they aren't stated on top of, they are often all inclusive....so double check.

Definitely get details of the medical insurance and in writing that they'll do the greencard process within x amount of time.
Bob is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:13 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 72
bobbedford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nervously Awaiting Offer

Thanks for all the advice so far guys.

My company has changed their minds again, and now I will still be employed by the UK company but on secondment to the US business.

Answering all your questions:
- Medical, they are going to send me all the details next week. But it looks as if it is subsidised but not fully covered.
- Holiday is 20 days, plus plublics on top, plus 5 personal days
- Pension they are trying to get it so that my UK pension arrangements continue for the time being. But still investigating.
- They are happy to pay for Greencard. They are going to add something to the contract. As a question, can I work for the UK company and have a Greencard, or do I need to be employed by the US company? We don't know if we will be wanting to be there forever, but it sounds like it makes sense, and if the company are happy for them to just get on and apply for the GC ASAP.

They have also agreed to:
- Fly out my pets
- Cash towards electricals, furniture etc.
- Repatriation upon redundancy, but not gross misconduct (I can understand this)

So we are getting there I think. Thanks for all the advice.
bobbedford is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.