Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Neighbourhood Advice

Neighbourhood Advice

Old Aug 10th 2009, 3:10 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all
Default Neighbourhood Advice

New to this forum, so intrigued to see what comes out.

I am considering re-locating to NYC next year and would appreciate some sensible advice on where to look for accommodation.

In brief, I will be based in Midtown and will bring with me a wife and two children (one aged 3 and one baby of 6 months). My key criteria at this stage are as follows:

- sensible commute to the office i.e. no more than 45mins
- family friendly locale with good stuff for kinds that is walkable (e.g. parks)
- nice community feel (we live in Richmond, London at present)
- rent is flexible, but I had in mind around $4,000 per month

I guess Manhattan is not viable, so I was thinking some bits of Brooklyn or maybe north, coming into Grand Central (Scarsdale, White Plains etc.)

Kind regards
Old Aug 10th 2009, 3:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Neighbourhood Advice

Originally Posted by IPM
New to this forum, so intrigued to see what comes out.

I am considering re-locating to NYC next year and would appreciate some sensible advice on where to look for accommodation.

In brief, I will be based in Midtown and will bring with me a wife and two children (one aged 3 and one baby of 6 months). My key criteria at this stage are as follows:

- sensible commute to the office i.e. no more than 45mins
- family friendly locale with good stuff for kinds that is walkable (e.g. parks)
- nice community feel (we live in Richmond, London at present)
- rent is flexible, but I had in mind around $4,000 per month

I guess Manhattan is not viable, so I was thinking some bits of Brooklyn or maybe north, coming into Grand Central (Scarsdale, White Plains etc.)

Kind regards
Hello and welcome to BE.

There have been loads of threads on this subject. Try the search function located in the pink bar at the top of the page. Go to Advanced Search...search the titles of threads for relocation to New York etc. Limit your search to the US forums.

Alternatively you could search all posts by Englishmum...she's posted information you may be interested in.

Give me a shout if you have problems finding the threads.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Neighbourhood Advice

Check out Craig's List. You should be able to get a 2 or even a 3 bed in a decent area of Manhattan for 4,000 dollars. Prices are lower than they were a year ago.