Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

needing a job and feeling a bit lost!

needing a job and feeling a bit lost!

Old Mar 9th 2006, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: needing a job and feeling a bit lost!

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
It took me ages to get a decent job here .... Every one I applied for I got to start with, then they asked for a GED which is not something we Brits have, so I lost most of them .... they also need proof you graduated from high school.
I had to contact Northants dept of education to get a document that stated I left school at 'School leaving age' .... Well ... it was 1969 !
is the GED proof of your exam results or a letter from your school/college confirming you attended and left at the appropriate time?
Old Mar 9th 2006, 3:42 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thackattack
The bank account is deplenished and its time to find work, i will do anything and have a good resume which shows i have worked for a national newspaper for 13 year solid. I dont know where to start and i fell like i will not be qualifies to do anything because i am British. Anyone else felt like this?

Another thing, i went to Wal-mart to apply (i can probably do better but anything will do right now) and went on their crap computer application machine. half way through the mouse didnt work and on top of that, you cannot input Uk telephone numbers for references!

GGRRRRR!
awww good luck to you , I gave a coupla those online things a go...never mind numbers some won't let you continue because you didn't achieve your education in one of the 50 States..all very infuriating...if you try to talk to a person they direct you to the online computer..and all those questions for a crap job crap pay too..they should just ask .......do you take drugs? are you a criminal?......when can you start? ffs....these personality tests for a stockers/cashier position gimmie a break!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 3:47 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
awww good luck to you , I gave a coupla those online things a go...never mind numbers some won't let you continue because you didn't achieve your education in one of the 50 States..all very infuriating...if you try to talk to a person they direct you to the online computer..and all those questions for a crap job crap pay too..they should just ask .......do you take drugs? are you a criminal?......when can you start? ffs....these personality tests for a stockers/cashier position gimmie a break!
My current job here was basically a company transfer that I set up myself.
Now that I'm looking to move on I'm running into all kinds of problems and I get the impression that most places just chuck my cv in the bin when it looks a bit different to what they are expecting because of a non-yank education.
It is extremely frustrating
Old Mar 9th 2006, 3:48 pm
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice

Well the wife got a job through a temp agency yesterday so the heat if off, She just wanted data entry, did a test, passed it, went to the agency office, then went to the company for an interview (fedex/kinkos), got the job, went back to the agency, then had a drugs test, now she is waiting to hear when she starts. $12 an hour too, thats not bad. I might throw my resume their way, see if they have anything for me. One problem we have now is we have 1 car and if i get a job somewhere else, i wont be able to get there. We can sort something out i suppose! I did drop an application into half price books though.

Thanks everyone, for the support and all that. My resume has been americanised, so thats one thing done. The whole proving you finished school is pretty crap, i hope i dont get asked that when interviews arise, i mean ive worked in the same company for 13 years, that should be good enough proof i'm not totally useless.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 3:56 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Now that I'm looking to move on I'm running into all kinds of problems and I get the impression that most places just chuck my cv in the bin when it looks a bit different to what they are expecting because of a non-yank education.
if you haven't already you need to have your education evaluated and transfered into U.S lingo...there are lots of evaluation companies that will do this for a fee (about $200)
Old Mar 9th 2006, 3:56 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Do you have a degree, young Davy?
Old Mar 9th 2006, 6:37 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
Do you have a degree, young Davy?
Yep - i have a degree in accounting and 6 years i.t. experience
Old Mar 9th 2006, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

One problem we have now is we have 1 car and if i get a job somewhere else, i wont be able to get there. We can sort something out i suppose! I did drop an application into half price books though.

Apparently there is a guy in Chicago selling a Jeep Wrangler
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
if you haven't already you need to have your education evaluated and transfered into U.S lingo...there are lots of evaluation companies that will do this for a fee (about $200)
no you don't.....some places require it, teaching for instance, but they tell you where they want it done, so no point getting it done ya self otherwise..
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

The whole proving you finished school is pretty crap, i hope i dont get asked that when interviews arise...
It may not happen. I wasn't asked to prove my education at any stage of the interview process for my current job.

Temp agencies are a nice start! When I came over from England we went through over a year of job searching before I went to a temp agency (when the bank account was finally empty). It's not often glamourous work but it keep you going while you are applying for other jobs.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:14 am
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice

Just want to say thankyou to everyone on this thread, its nice support. 2 weeks ago i went to a bookshop, i like the atmosphere, wife said "get an application" so i did, i handed it in, i got an interivew, i got the job, today was day 4!

I love it.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to say thankyou to everyone on this thread, its nice support. 2 weeks ago i went to a bookshop, i like the atmosphere, wife said "get an application" so i did, i handed it in, i got an interivew, i got the job, today was day 4!

I love it.
Well thats good news to read Good luck.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I love it.
Congratulations. Same thing happened to me last week I'm now an apartment leasing consultant, I only applied for 2 jobs and got offered them both immediately, quite chuffed!
Old Mar 18th 2006, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Congratulations. Same thing happened to me last week I'm now an apartment leasing consultant, I only applied for 2 jobs and got offered them both immediately, quite chuffed!
Who's a cleaver Girl Well done.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:40 pm
Essex boy in Texas

Congrats!
i did the register a little yesterday, scary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.