Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

needing a job and feeling a bit lost!

needing a job and feeling a bit lost!

Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:47 am
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice
Angry needing a job and feeling a bit lost!

The bank account is deplenished and its time to find work, i will do anything and have a good resume which shows i have worked for a national newspaper for 13 year solid. I dont know where to start and i fell like i will not be qualifies to do anything because i am British. Anyone else felt like this?

Another thing, i went to Wal-mart to apply (i can probably do better but anything will do right now) and went on their crap computer application machine. half way through the mouse didnt work and on top of that, you cannot input Uk telephone numbers for references!

GGRRRRR!
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all
Default Re: needing a job and feeling a bit lost!

Originally Posted by Thackattack
The bank account is deplenished and its time to find work, i will do anything and have a good resume which shows i have worked for a national newspaper for 13 year solid. I dont know where to start and i fell like i will not be qualifies to do anything because i am British. Anyone else felt like this?

Another thing, i went to Wal-mart to apply (i can probably do better but anything will do right now) and went on their crap computer application machine. half way through the mouse didnt work and on top of that, you cannot input Uk telephone numbers for references!

GGRRRRR!
Try www.costco.com. Pays better than walmart and better benefits. Walmart =
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Try local papers? library is usually a pretty good place for random print type people jobs...
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:53 am
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Try local papers? library is usually a pretty good place for random print type people jobs...
yeah i forgot about costco. i worked with photographers at the Times in london, i was responsible for getting all images in for the paper, a good job but one that doesnt warrant much work in its own profession. I need a different job anyway.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:25 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

GGRRRRR!
Getting a degree is way more important here than back in Blighty.. see if any employers offer subsidy or tuition assistance and get a recognized qualification while you work.

..I sound like my dad..
Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:33 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

I dont know where to start and i fell like i will not be qualifies to do anything because i am British
Er, learn to spell and capitalize properly for a start.

Seriously, get used to doing this, even when you post on forums like this. We're all guilty of typos and misspellings, but while you're looking for work, it makes good practice and makes doing this become a habit that will ensure you always do this when emailing resumes to prospective employers.

The next step is to "Americanize" your resume, if you haven't done it already. Do a search as there are loads of web pages out there with samples and instruction on how to do so.

Next, try not only contacting the local daily papers, but the local free weeklies as well. Some of their staff tends to be a bit more transient, therefore they are in a position to hire staff a bit for frequently.

Also, try getting your former employer in Britain to draft you a letter of reccomendation which can be sent along with, or as a follow up to sending your resume out. If you're concerned about providing only a UK phone number, perhaps you can also supply an email address, but one that is obviously from a national paper such as [email protected] or somesuch.

Lastly, network, network, network- get the word out there to people you meet that you are looking for work and what your skills are. You never know where a lead can come from. Register with some temp agencies, perhaps you can get some temp work whilst you are looking for a more permanent job. Attend job fairs. Scour both online resources like careerbuilder.com *and* the classified sections of newpapers.

Good luck and try not to get discouraged.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ms_bhon
Lastly, network, network, network- get the word out there to people you meet that you are looking for work and what your skills are. You never know where a lead can come from. Register with some temp agencies, perhaps you can get some temp work whilst you are looking for a more permanent job. Attend job fairs. Scour both online resources like careerbuilder.com *and* the classified sections of newpapers.
networking...also try www.linkedin.com someone have luck with it, though I don't know how good it is. Also check out craigslist, which is great if your in a larger state/city....
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:34 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

GGRRRRR!
Get a good resume together, Ask your wife/girlfriend/SO to americanize it (my resume needed extensive americanising according to my husband )
Post it on Monster.com, largest local newspaper etc.

I felt exactly like you did "I'll never get a job in the US" Ridiculous really, but I had been out of the job market for over a year. I got a great job, good pay, conditions etc one week after getting my EAD and SSN.

Dont get down about it get busy! Once you get a job you'll wonder what you were so worried about. Good luck and if you need any help with the resume please feel free to PM me.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

It took me ages to get a decent job here .... Every one I applied for I got to start with, then they asked for a GED which is not something we Brits have, so I lost most of them .... they also need proof you graduated from high school.
I had to contact Northants dept of education to get a document that stated I left school at 'School leaving age' .... Well ... it was 1969 !
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:12 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

GGRRRRR!
two words that will make your life a living nightmare and sends shivers down the spine of many a rational human being : TEMP AGENCY.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Sarah
two words that will make your life a living nightmare and sends shivers down the spine of many a rational human being : TEMP AGENCY.
Saying that, I didn't have a problem with the temp agency around here ,though hardly get any work out of them....not nearly as good as the one's back in blighty from my experience.

Oh, and I guess don't listen to me, I still dont' have a paying job, volunteer work and stipend....shite I tell ya.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:23 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Saying that, I didn't have a problem with the temp agency around here ,though hardly get any work out of them....not nearly as good as the one's back in blighty from my experience.

Oh, and I guess don't listen to me, I still dont' have a paying job, volunteer work and stipend....shite I tell ya.
Bob: better luck with getting a job soon ... if not sooner. Don't know how you cope with this situation. Good luck in getting that job.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by User Name
Bob: better luck with getting a job soon ... if not sooner. Don't know how you cope with this situation. Good luck in getting that job.
pocket money....i get a few commissions now and again for logo design work and the like, and the place i volunteer at tabs me every now and again some crumbs, and cool puter equipment *l*
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
pocket money....i get a few commissions now and again for logo design work and the like, and the place i volunteer at tabs me every now and again some crumbs, and cool puter equipment *l*
I thought you had a job now that you were moving for?
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I thought you had a job now that you were moving for?
naaa....unfortunately not, didn't come through, which was a bugger...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.