Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need your help-Cost of Living?

Need your help-Cost of Living?

Old Dec 9th 2010, 9:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need your help-Cost of Living?

Originally Posted by rondelle

What I need to know is whether $60000 p/a salary/stipend is ok to live in Maine? Take into consideration that my husband might not find any work immediately and we have a 6 months old baby. Health insurance is covered by the university.
Average salary being around $15-20K up in Maine, you'll be fine, depending on where you live...

BIL just rented a furnished 4 bed house with all utilities, heat being the big one included for $700 a month out near Rockland.

Childcare up in Maine is dirt cheap too, around $400 a month will see you full time all month.

Oh, Orono, that's Bangor, it really is, it's the next exit on I-95 and 5 in drive, it's practically a suburb...a couple of really nice bars in town too and a hippy shop and that's it....but it's a nice campus.

Also, don't worry, living up in Maine, 200 miles is a short trip to do your groceries, you'll get used to it very quickly. Bangor has everything you need, it's near the coast with Ellesworth and Brewer across the bridge in minutes, Brewer is a shit hole, but it's got all the huge stores, lot of car places too, very handy...and there's a lot of nice towns within a short drive of the area, especially along the coastal connector, Rt1/1a

The only thing really to look for is that rental includes heat, up in Maine, it often does, and it'll cost you a fortune if it doesn't...and also if they have rubbish collection, because nothing sucks more arse than having to go to the town dump in the middle of a blizzard in winter, stinking up your car because you've got no where else to stick the rubbish.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Average salary being around $15-20K up in Maine, you'll be fine, depending on where you live...

BIL just rented a furnished 4 bed house with all utilities, heat being the big one included for $700 a month out near Rockland.

Childcare up in Maine is dirt cheap too, around $400 a month will see you full time all month.

Oh, Orono, that's Bangor, it really is, it's the next exit on I-95 and 5 in drive, it's practically a suburb...a couple of really nice bars in town too and a hippy shop and that's it....but it's a nice campus.

Also, don't worry, living up in Maine, 200 miles is a short trip to do your groceries, you'll get used to it very quickly. Bangor has everything you need, it's near the coast with Ellesworth and Brewer across the bridge in minutes, Brewer is a shit hole, but it's got all the huge stores, lot of car places too, very handy...and there's a lot of nice towns within a short drive of the area, especially along the coastal connector, Rt1/1a

The only thing really to look for is that rental includes heat, up in Maine, it often does, and it'll cost you a fortune if it doesn't...and also if they have rubbish collection, because nothing sucks more arse than having to go to the town dump in the middle of a blizzard in winter, stinking up your car because you've got no where else to stick the rubbish.
That is pretty amazing and hard to believe since heat could cost over $300 per month during the middle of the winter.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
That is pretty amazing and hard to believe since heat could cost over $300 per month during the middle of the winter.
Yup.

In modern condos you're less likely to have this, and in places like Portland, but rest of the state, it's still pretty common.

They don't want people not heating the place during the winter, or have people leaving during the winter months, not that you can get evicted or have your heat/electric cut off during the winter months.

Chances are if you're looking for a place in the summer, you'll probably be more in the $1K range, but if you look at the end of the summer, especially towards winter, the price jobs big time and they'll try to push a 6 month lease and up it again in the summer, so always push for 12 months as it puts you in a much better position.

Oh, and BIL's place, the little shit, it's on the ocean, has great views and is cheaper than the apartment we lived in when we were a few towns over a few years ago
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yup.

In modern condos you're less likely to have this, and in places like Portland, but rest of the state, it's still pretty common.

They don't want people not heating the place during the winter, or have people leaving during the winter months, not that you can get evicted or have your heat/electric cut off during the winter months.

Chances are if you're looking for a place in the summer, you'll probably be more in the $1K range, but if you look at the end of the summer, especially towards winter, the price jobs big time and they'll try to push a 6 month lease and up it again in the summer, so always push for 12 months as it puts you in a much better position.

Oh, and BIL's place, the little shit, it's on the ocean, has great views and is cheaper than the apartment we lived in when we were a few towns over a few years ago
Ok now I understand. It is similar to one that I saw that was a very beautiful 2,400 sf furnished lake front home that was renting for $700 per month but didn't have utilities included. Even though it didn't include utilities, it was very cheap for such a beautiful home and property. But there was a catch, the home was very remote, the lease was only for the winter months, and the owner took it back to rent it for $1,500 per week during the summer season.

I suspect that since the homes are very remote, it is very difficult to rent out during the winter season so the owner drastically reduces the price just to get someone to care for the homes during the winter season.

So I suspect your BIL will have to give up the place during the summer season or pay a very high price to rent the home. I also suspect your $1K estimate is much too low for the summer season.

I suspect the clue to getting such good deals is the location. Your BILs place is near Rockland which is pretty remote and the one I noticed that had a very good price was also pretty remote. I suspect the closer you get to more built up areas (such as Bangor), the less chance you will get those types of deals.

Last edited by Michael; Dec 10th 2010 at 12:53 am.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:51 am
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps the OP's employer has furnished housing that she will qualify to rent? I know of several people in similar positions who have lived in University owned town homes or apartments near campus.

Setting up home can easily be done on a budget with stores such as Target, Walmart, Biglots etc. selling electrical items such as a toaster for $10. If you are unable to ship all of your personal/household items you will be able to find budget replacements. When it comes to bedding you'll probably need new fitted sheets as US beds come in different sizes to the UK.

It sounds like a very exciting opportunity for you and your family. Good luck!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Michael
I suspect that since the homes are very remote, it is very difficult to rent out during the winter season so the owner drastically reduces the price just to get someone to care for the homes during the winter season.

So I suspect your BIL will have to give up the place during the summer season or pay a very high price to rent the home. I also suspect your $1K estimate is much too low for the summer season.

I suspect the clue to getting such good deals is the location. Your BILs place is near Rockland which is pretty remote and the one I noticed that had a very good price was also pretty remote. I suspect the closer you get to more built up areas (such as Bangor), the less chance you will get those types of deals.
Rockland is a big seaside tourist town...people actually go to Belfast, Camden, Rockland for holidays, no one goes to Bangor for a holiday, so those locations do tend to go for better money and in that area, plenty of places do go for $700-800 a month, it's just the going rate, it tends to be the single unit houses that go for more, but not much more. Rent doesn't get that high unless it's a holiday home in places like Bar Harbor that attract the weekly rentals or the big town, Portland. Not even Augusta is that much more expensive though it is a little more pricier than average.

Orono isn't remote by any stretch, it's an old farts town though, Brighton Beach kind of old farts, and the towns around aren't to much different, Veazie ain't to bad and Hamden is nice on the other side of the bridge a few mins south. But, the roads are okay, they're well ploughed, Maine does in general do a really good job of the roads and the towns aren't to bad, even having down town areas that feel like towns. Only thing that really annoys me about that area, speed limits randomly drop to 25mph out of no where, for short stretches, basically speed traps to nab out of towners and they're everywhere.

Oh in some parts of town, near the mills, during rain storms, those areas stink of shit, wood mills are just nasty, more so towards the Brewer end of Bangor.

If we are talking about the Orono campus though, they often include housing, they have for people in the past at least.

The only expense you have to worry about up there though other than medical insurance (Maine Medical is a good hospital in general, right now the nurses are striking and it's a shitter and ideally you want to get to Portland, but it's much better than being in Skowhegan or Waterville where you'll be measuring up the coffin) is heating oil if you don't have it included and then you want a place with a pellet stove unless you know someone who can get you free wood as fire wood, good stuff ain't cheap either.

Car insurance is dirt cheap, it was more than half the rate than down in Mass, registering and all that stuff costs next to nothing even if you do want an extra set of rims with winter studs on.

Childcare is dirt cheap.

Immigration is pretty quick through Portland.

Bangor airport is expensive as a hub and it's a bit meh, but it is a hub.

The fish is fantastic and pretty cheap, even better if you get it from dodgy looking fishermen on the side of the roads.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Rockland is a big seaside tourist town...people actually go to Belfast, Camden, Rockland for holidays, no one goes to Bangor for a holiday, so those locations do tend to go for better money and in that area, plenty of places do go for $700-800 a month, it's just the going rate, it tends to be the single unit houses that go for more, but not much more. Rent doesn't get that high unless it's a holiday home in places like Bar Harbor that attract the weekly rentals or the big town, Portland. Not even Augusta is that much more expensive though it is a little more pricier than average.

Orono isn't remote by any stretch, it's an old farts town though, Brighton Beach kind of old farts, and the towns around aren't to much different, Veazie ain't to bad and Hamden is nice on the other side of the bridge a few mins south. But, the roads are okay, they're well ploughed, Maine does in general do a really good job of the roads and the towns aren't to bad, even having down town areas that feel like towns. Only thing that really annoys me about that area, speed limits randomly drop to 25mph out of no where, for short stretches, basically speed traps to nab out of towners and they're everywhere.

Oh in some parts of town, near the mills, during rain storms, those areas stink of shit, wood mills are just nasty, more so towards the Brewer end of Bangor.

If we are talking about the Orono campus though, they often include housing, they have for people in the past at least.

The only expense you have to worry about up there though other than medical insurance (Maine Medical is a good hospital in general, right now the nurses are striking and it's a shitter and ideally you want to get to Portland, but it's much better than being in Skowhegan or Waterville where you'll be measuring up the coffin) is heating oil if you don't have it included and then you want a place with a pellet stove unless you know someone who can get you free wood as fire wood, good stuff ain't cheap either.

Car insurance is dirt cheap, it was more than half the rate than down in Mass, registering and all that stuff costs next to nothing even if you do want an extra set of rims with winter studs on.

Childcare is dirt cheap.

Immigration is pretty quick through Portland.

Bangor airport is expensive as a hub and it's a bit meh, but it is a hub.

The fish is fantastic and pretty cheap, even better if you get it from dodgy looking fishermen on the side of the roads.
When I refer to Bangor, I'm refering to the lakes within 30 minutes of Bangor.

This vacation home is about 20 minutes outside of Bangor on Green Lake for $1,495 per week. Currently it is leased up through May(don't know at what price but suspect the price is 1/4th or less than the price during the winter) and they are currently trying to fill the summer at the $1495 price (currently about half booked).

http://www.rentbangor.com/6_weekly-w...log-cabin.html

There seems to be quite a few vacation lake front rentals that rent for between $1,000-$1,500 per week during the summer in that area.

Getting much more remote (Cold Stream Pond about 50 mile north of Bangor), this one rents for $790 per month during the winter and $1195 per week during the summer.

http://www.vacationhomerentals.com/v...oID-50508.html

Last edited by Michael; Dec 10th 2010 at 3:33 am.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

The rates the folks are gathering are for vacation homes and partial year rents.

You will easily live on $60k a year, even with taxes further reducing that number. Granted, you won't live like a rock star, but in that area of Bangor, you'll find a decent house for $1000 a month, without utilities.

Look for one with oil heat/furnace, not electric. Many turnover rental properties are fitted with electric, as to be cheaper for the investor to prepare with the costs to run burdened on the renter. Check windows and ask about insulation. It is a bear in winter, for sure. Oh, and pellet stoves are a pain in the #$#. They aren't 'cheaper' than oil in the convenience sense (Last winter proved to be relatively the same between the two, from true experience) - plus humping the bags of pellets is a residual cost never calculated.

But it pays off in summer, which is gorgeous in Maine. If you love nature, then Maine is simply a dream place to live. (Except camping in August. The black flies and mosquitos can carry grown men away.)

I would envision folks at the university have lists of homes for rent; folks often contact the university for being placed on the list for incoming research faculty and students - they are good renters and the owner of the property feels more comfortable knowing the rents will be paid. Also there is a better chance of having it furnished, as I don't think you'll want to furnish a whole home.

$60k is a huge research stipend - and to support a family of 4! Adjunct faculty don't even make that...

Folks in Maine don't exactly drive brand new MBs - the winter beats a car. Used cars will not be any problem to find at decent prices.

You have a great opportunity with this package deal, and its paid for! Enjoy!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 5:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
The rates the folks are gathering are for vacation homes and partial year rents.
Nope, I was talking of every day residential rentals...BIL was doing the rounds recently himself.

Rate of oil, it is cheaper using electric heat these days as you get a better electric rate if the heat is electric, but heat if you're paying is still in the $300 a month plus range. Decent insulation does help a lot and definitely do check the windows, new windows help save a fortune and feel much better.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Just a bump...and talking of Orono...Pat's Pizza...not the crap chain, but the little chain in Maine, the original is downtown, and it's an institution for anyone going to the uni, fantastic and cheap food, best pizza around and it's also a pretty good bar.