Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

In need of UK visa advice for my foreign wife!

In need of UK visa advice for my foreign wife!

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:44 am
Just Joined

SimonNS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In need of UK visa advice for my foreign wife!

Hi

I'm completely frustrated with the lack of quality information I'm able to get re visa requirements for my South African wife visiting the UK so hoping someone out there can help!

Some background, I'm a British citizen married to a South African living in the US. We've lived here for nearly 11 years and until earlier this year had no problems traveling to and from the UK (2-3 times per year together or seperately) to visit my family or transit the UK en route to SA. The visa rules for South Africans entering the UK changed earlier this year now requiring that all South Africans require visas to enter the UK. I've been told by Worldbridge (the third party that handles visa applications on behalf of the UK Border Agency) that my wife needs a Visitors Visa every time she travels. Not only is this expensive but it's time consuming and just seems wrong that my wife is treated the same as a random visitor to my home country. Long story short, I'm not convinced that this advice is correct so would welcome any guidance on the appropriate visa for the spouse of a non-resident British national that allows for frequent temporary stays with UK family.

Thanks!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In need of UK visa advice for my foreign wife!

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

You can probably apply for a multiple entry visa. Is she eligible to become a US citizen?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonNS View Post
... just seems wrong that my wife is treated the same as a random visitor to my home country.
With all due respect, if your wife is not a UK citizen, then she is a random visitor, and is being treated the same as all other random visitors. Being the spouse of a UKC confers no special privileges.

JAJ is heading down the right path with his question. If your wife is eligible for US citizenship, she can enter the UK as a USC with no visa issues and she'll be able to completely disregard that she's also a SAC.

Ian
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:57 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And if they do apply for USC, make sure they apply for the permit thingy before getting the ball rolling if they want to keep the SAC otherwise they'll lose it.

Oh and welcome to BE
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

I had a look, pretty straightforward process.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:03 am
Just Joined

SimonNS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. Neither of us is a US citizen, in fact we're about to relocate to Cape Town. Based on the UK visa info available online it appears that spousal visas/family visa etc only apply if we're permanently settled or planning to permanently settle in the UK. But that could just be my interpretation??
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Simon. This forum is for expats of Britian so immigrating to Britian would not be a specialized forum here. Nor would obtaining a visitors visa to the UK. Suggest you continue looking for the proper forum for your immigration/visitor's questions.

Last edited by Rete; Sep 23rd 2009 at 12:56 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I'm completely frustrated with the lack of quality information I'm able to get re visa requirements for my South African wife visiting the UK so hoping someone out there can help!

Some background, I'm a British citizen married to a South African living in the US. We've lived here for nearly 11 years and until earlier this year had no problems traveling to and from the UK (2-3 times per year together or seperately) to visit my family or transit the UK en route to SA. The visa rules for South Africans entering the UK changed earlier this year now requiring that all South Africans require visas to enter the UK. I've been told by Worldbridge (the third party that handles visa applications on behalf of the UK Border Agency) that my wife needs a Visitors Visa every time she travels....
Thank the South African government for not complying with the UK Border Agency's request to implement stricter regulations on who can obtain a SA passport. There were many, many examples of fraud, so I can't blame the UK gov't for implementing the visa requirement.

From what I understand from my research, what Worldbridge told you was the correct information. Your wife will indeed require a visitor visa everytime she wishes to visit the UK. It may be costly, but that appears your only option as long as she holds no other citizenships that will allow her to visit the UK w/out a visa.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. Neither of us is a US citizen, in fact we're about to relocate to Cape Town. Based on the UK visa info available online it appears that spousal visas/family visa etc only apply if we're permanently settled or planning to permanently settle in the UK. But that could just be my interpretation??
On the assumption that there is not a hamlet in Devon called Cape Town, why would you need a UK Immigrant visa?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 View Post
From what I understand from my research, what Worldbridge told you was the correct information. Your wife will indeed require a visitor visa everytime she wishes to visit the UK. It may be costly, but that appears your only option as long as she holds no other citizenships that will allow her to visit the UK w/out a visa.

If Worldbridge are saying that a new visa must be obtained every time, that is wrong.