Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need a tax prep expert in DFW area...

Need a tax prep expert in DFW area...

Old Jan 26th 2006, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Need a tax prep expert in DFW area...

Look's like I may have screwed up on the W-4 when I arrived here last Jan after taking advice from someone blindly (I know, I know!!!, but it was someone who used to work for the IRS so I assumed they knew what they were talking about).....anyway, I am here on a L1-A and claimed 4 exemptions for the sproggs.

TurboTax told me to take a hike when I tried to add the dependents so I went looking on the IRS website. Their publication 501 indicates that on an L1 I can't claim any exemptions.....aaaaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhh!!!

Need someone who can help me with this but don't just want to Google someone and hope for the best.

Here's hoping,
Cheers
Old Jan 26th 2006, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a tax prep expert in DFW area...

Originally Posted by paul_TX
Look's like I may have screwed up on the W-4 when I arrived here last Jan after taking advice from someone blindly (I know, I know!!!, but it was someone who used to work for the IRS so I assumed they knew what they were talking about).....anyway, I am here on a L1-A and claimed 4 exemptions for the sproggs.

TurboTax told me to take a hike when I tried to add the dependents so I went looking on the IRS website. Their publication 501 indicates that on an L1 I can't claim any exemptions.....aaaaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhh!!!

Need someone who can help me with this but don't just want to Google someone and hope for the best.

Here's hoping,
Cheers
Why did TurboTax reject it? i.e. what was the message?

Where in Pub. 501 does it say you can't claim exemptions?
Old Jan 26th 2006, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need a tax prep expert in DFW area...

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Why did TurboTax reject it? i.e. what was the message?

Where in Pub. 501 does it say you can't claim exemptions?
I went back to get the error message and it's now letting me add them. I think I made a mistake by clicing the box that asked if they were US Citzens or resident aliens. I could have sworn I saw the word "permanent" before.

Sorry for the panic post!