Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need SSN for Florida Real Estate License

Need SSN for Florida Real Estate License

Old May 21st 2012, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need SSN for Florida Real Estate License

Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
My question is this - why do you need to be authorized to work in the US to sell real estate in the US? Because for example you could be living in Canada or Mexico easily enough and have lots of customers wanting to buy vacation homes.
Your income would come from a US source - the proceeds of the house sale or directly from the seller.
Old May 21st 2012, 5:41 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Surely legal presence in the country is the overall necessity in order to work in any state
But you are legally present (but like the OP says, they want an SSN), you enter the US as a visitor for business. Like I said, I've done it myself. Your office could be in Canada, but you need to be a licenced realtor in that State, I know realtors here in Canada who are licenced in Arizona and Utah but they're dual citizens, I fail to understand why that is a requirement.

Last edited by Steve_; May 21st 2012 at 5:50 pm.
Old May 21st 2012, 5:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Your income would come from a US source - the proceeds of the house sale or directly from the seller.
Loads of people sell their vacation homes in the US and make money on them, I'm totally familiar with the procedure, has to be reported on 1040NR with Schedule D and if there were capital gains tax (there currently is not as the long-term rate is 0%) you have to pay the IRS withholding tax on Form 8288. The reason for the paperwork is that sales of real estate are a "reportable event", so even if you make no money, the 1040NR has to be filed.

The point I'm perhaps not making clear is that you can buy and sell real estate in the US without a realtor licence, but at some point you need to get a US realtor involved (which in Alberta in reality means a dual citizen who happens to be licenced in that State, they don't live there).

It already takes place, I don't see why the realtor in Edmonton or wherever has to be authorized to work in the US. Makes no sense to me.
Old May 21st 2012, 6:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
The 'legal alien not allowed to work' thing is for spouses of those who are here on a work permit such as a H-1B visa.
No, because they aren't entitled to a EAD, so no SSN. Anyone else eligible for a EAD gets the legend on the SS card though, unless they're a LPR/USC.
Old May 21st 2012, 6:22 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Hmm, anyway, my curiosity got the better of me and I've just been talking to the Utah people on the phone.

Obviously they're enforcing State law as written but the underlying reason why you have to be authorized to work in the US is because this means that they can perform a proper background check on you as you have to pass an FBI background check. Plus they need to be able to serve process on you so that also means you need to be in the US and legally available.

Still doesn't make total sense to me as someone living abroad can be licenced there but I suppose a US citizen in Canada is easier to get at than someone who isn't a US citizen. Plus the FBI I suppose can access CPIC but you could be a US citizen living in Russia as far as that goes.

And their definition of "authorized to work" definitely doesn't hold water, I think their realtor licensing law is just a bit of a mess frankly. Need to get hold of someone in charge.
Old May 21st 2012, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
The point I'm perhaps not making clear is that you can buy and sell real estate in the US without a realtor licence, but at some point you need to get a US realtor involved (which in Alberta in reality means a dual citizen who happens to be licenced in that State, they don't live there)
The laws regarding real estate transactions are different in every state so your statement about needing to get a US realtor involved is at best a very broad generalisation and probably just totally inaccurate.

Actually I am not aware of any state where you are *required* to use the services of a realtor(tm) for anything - now the state may well have licensing requirements for people who broker real estate transactions, but having a real estate licence is not the same as being a "realtor" (which implies membership of a specific professional body).
Old May 22nd 2012, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by md95065 View Post
The laws regarding real estate transactions are different in every state so your statement about needing to get a US realtor involved is at best a very broad generalisation and probably just totally inaccurate.

Actually I am not aware of any state where you are *required* to use the services of a realtor(tm) for anything - now the state may well have licensing requirements for people who broker real estate transactions, but having a real estate licence is not the same as being a "realtor" (which implies membership of a specific professional body).
There is no requirement to involve a realtor in Florida.