Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need some help deciding where to live; California or Washington DC?

Wikiposts

Need some help deciding where to live; California or Washington DC?

Old Jun 23rd 2014, 11:18 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some help deciding where to live; California or Washington DC?

Originally Posted by FinnDiego
On San Diego: The airport is very convenient to get to if you live downtown or in the uptown neighborhoods (which you would if you're a city person). The downside is there aren't nearly as many direct flights as you'd get from a bigger hub, so you'll end up connecting more and/or paying more. Only one direct flight to Europe (BA to LHR), and it's a much longer trek than from the east coast.

As a city, I'm with Gilly in that San Diego really doesn't feel like one, certainly not a big city. That's not necessarily a bad thing (I'm househunting at the moment so do like it here), but there doesn't seem to be quite as much going on as you'd expect in USA's eighth-largest [edit] city. Having said that the weather is just about perfect, the beer is great, beaches beautiful if you're into that, and the traffic while bad not quite as hopeless as the Bay Area or LA. Expensive though! (see: househunting)

We're also overdue for a meetup, but that belongs in another forum...
Housing in San Diego is way cheaper than the Bay though.

A two second search on Craigslist gives these as comparisons, for a 2 bed townhouse

Two Bedroom Townhome w/Direct Entry Garage & Washer/Dryer

Dont miss out on this spacious 2BR townhome end unit with upgrades!

The Bay Area one is 100 sq ft less, and $1,286 per month more per month. If salary is going to be the same, regardless of location, OP would be foolish to live in the Bay
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 11:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ThatKidKyle
This is my first time on here, so have no idea how to quote previous posts Hi Sally, If I move to California I will be flying out mostly due to the large distance been California, Nevada and Arizona. Airport access under an hour away would be ideal, but not the be all and end all
You can pretty much live in anywhere in San Diego and be within an hour of the airport (its located 2 miles from downtown) and while there is limited international flights ( 1 to London, 1 to Japan somewhere, the rest are to Mexico, not sure of there are any to Canada still.) Its also a focus city for Southwest Airlines with 100+ flights a day to various US destinations, with frequent service to Phoenix, Las Vegas, Oakland and San Francisco.

You also have Virgin America and United to the bay area, and US Airways/American Airlines to Phoenix, only Southwest to Vegas though.

Its a small easy to access airport with parking directly in front of the terminals. Probably the easiest major domestic airport to navigate and deal with in the US.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 11:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
What else is going on then? I've yet to experience anything other than Government in DC.
Smithsonian

The Smithsonian for one, happens to be the largest museum and research complex in the world, with 19 museums and galleries, and the National Zoo.

Oh and most are completely free of charge.

If I recall correctly it was a British scientist who never stepped foot in the US who donated the original funds for it.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 12:11 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Smithsonian

The Smithsonian for one, happens to be the largest museum and research complex in the world, with 19 museums and galleries, and the National Zoo.

Oh and most are completely free of charge.

If I recall correctly it was a British scientist who never stepped foot in the US who donated the original funds for it.
Ok, er, great. Some museums and a zoo. The museums are great to visit - once or twice in a lifetime. I stand by my original assertion: DC is just a government centre. It is an entirely different place to live compared to CA. I would chose CA everytime.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

On San Diego: The airport is very convenient to get to if you live downtown or in the uptown neighborhoods (which you would if you're a city person). The downside is there aren't nearly as many direct flights as you'd get from a bigger hub, so you'll end up connecting more and/or paying more. Only one direct flight to Europe (BA to LHR), and it's a much longer trek than from the east coast.

As a city, I'm with Gilly in that San Diego really doesn't feel like one, certainly not a big city. That's not necessarily a bad thing (I'm househunting at the moment so do like it here), but there doesn't seem to be quite as much going on as you'd expect in USA's eighth-largest [edit] city. Having said that the weather is just about perfect, the beer is great, beaches beautiful if you're into that, and the traffic while bad not quite as hopeless as the Bay Area or LA. Expensive though! (see: househunting)

We're also overdue for a meetup, but that belongs in another forum...
It does feel a bit small compared to LA.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 12:41 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

DC is a government center, but for the OP's needs, it is also a major telecommunications center and biomedical research area. Northern Virginia was once one of the main hubs (MAE-EAST) for the Internet and many of the early tech companies got their start in that region, which has had a knock-on effect for other startups and tech work. The FDA and NIH are based in Suburban Maryland, which has led to things like the Human Genome Project and their associated industries being done out there, along with a slew of medical research. You also have a video game development corridor between DC and Baltimore along with tons of military research being done at places like PAX River to the South of DC. And on top of all that, you have the tech-related work for the US government that surrounds the entire DC region.

Long term, there is quite a tech community thriving in the DC area. It can be topped by a few other cities in the US, most notably, Silicon Valley.

I think the real question is what is the goal of this H1-B visa? Getting a green card? Finding another job? If it is a career based decision, you may want to be DC or San Francisco/Silicon Valley primarily due to the opportunities in those two cities to further you tech work (not entirely sure what you are doing but those to areas will have far more jobs and networking opportunities).

As for DC things to do, it is probably one of the more international cities in the USA. Not only are their the immigrants who have moved to the region (El Salvadoran, Vietnamese, and Indian are the largest groups) but there are a number of expats working in international media outlets, embassy and diplomatic staff, the World Bank and IMF (in case you are wondering, the Washington DC TV ratings for the World Cup are highest in the country). The city core itself is smaller and more 'European' for lack of a better word than say San Diego. You also have 3 major airports (DCA, IAD, and BWI) which will offer flights not only across the country but good service back to the UK.

If your work or family life is making you 'look back' to the UK a bit, i.e. you need to do conference calls with the UK or talk to your folks, then 5 hour time difference from DC is a bit easier than the 8 hours to California. The flight is also a bit shorter should you be commuting over the pond.

The weather and scenery is a bit nicer in California if you like to get out and about. I think the laid back culture might be a bit nicer than the go-go-go DC attitude, but that depends on your own personality. Housing prices in DC and Silicon Valley are quite high.

Honestly, you won't make a mistake in either place. Both have positives and not too many negatives. I think you'll just have to go with what offers you the best long term career future and where you are happy.

Good luck.

Last edited by penguinsix; Jun 23rd 2014 at 2:16 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Honestly, you won't make a mistake in either place. Both have positives and not too many negatives. I think you'll just have to go with what offers you the best long term career future and where you are happy.
Yes - the OP is very lucky if the hardest career choice that he has to make at this stage is whether to be based in California or DC.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

ThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for their input so far, and thank you for the heads up on how to quote on here!
Originally Posted by MMcD
Don't know how often you'd be wanting to go back to UK for visits - or have visitors from there....but keep in mind the additional travel time if you opt for CA.
I only have two weeks holiday, so it will most likely only be once a year probably around Christmas.

I have been living in West Virginia for the majority of my time here, so I am used to connecting flights back to the UK, even from a big city like Pittsburgh. As for the only flight being BA, that's not too much of a problem for me as I regularly fly with them and currently playing the game of collecting executive points!

Originally Posted by N1cky
Housing in San Diego is way cheaper than the Bay though.
A two second search on Craigslist gives these as comparisons, for a 2 bed townhouse
This is VERY appealing! I am used to a small 3 bed semi-attached house back home, so the idea of getting somewhere with a lot more space for the same/less is something that could weigh things in its favor. Also, once I chose a particular spot (where ever that may be) I will try and look around other parts as and where I can.

Originally Posted by penguinsix
DC is a government center, but for the OP's needs, it is also a major telecommunications center and biomedical research area.

I think the real question is what is the goal of this H1-B visa? Getting a green card? Finding another job? If it is a career based decision, you may want to be DC vs. San Francisco/Silicon Valley primarily due to the opportunities in those two cities to further you tech work (not entirely sure what you are doing but those to areas will have far more jobs and networking opportunities).

As for DC things to do, it is probably one of the more international cities in the USA... (in case you are wondering, the Washington DC TV ratings for the World Cup are highest in the country).

If your work or family life is making you 'look back' to the UK a bit, i.e. you need to do conference calls with the UK or talk to your folks, then 5 hour time difference from DC is a bit easier than the 8 hours to California.

Good luck.
Thank you this is really insightful. This will be my first 'real' job coming out of University, so the long term goal is to use this as a platform to continue to network and grow professionally whilst exposing myself to a new culture and having fun. My original thoughts are to enable myself to grow professionally to a point where I can join a fully international company that can offer me the opportunity to move back home, if I decide that's what I want.

I'm aware that DC is mainly a government city, everyone I spoke to seemed to have a connection to politics to some degree. However the idea of being able to network with companies that have an international presence is also appealing. Plus they have Nandos! It's the closet taste I have had to being home whilst being here I am used to the 5 hour time difference, 8 hours may cause some issues. But i'm also sure my friends would be even more inclined to visit if I lived by a beach!

I'd pick SD if I were the poster, nicer then the LA area, good beaches, nice museums (one of the largest collections of museums on the west coast, and all in the same general area including one of the best zoos in the world.)
Being from Birmingham, where there is NO beach other than the fake one they put in the city center, the chance to live by the beach for a little while sounds Amazing!

You can pretty much live in anywhere in San Diego and be within an hour of the airport...
Its a small easy to access airport with parking directly in front of the terminals. Probably the easiest major domestic airport to navigate and deal with in the US.
If I did decide to live in San Diego, this is a major plus. As I will be flying domestically to Nevada/Arizona/The Bay Area.

Thank you all for your advise, and I realize that I'm in a pretty lucky situation to chose between California and DC! My standard salary will be the same no matter where I am, so I am definitely looking to save some money by having some house mates. Both area's sound like they have a lot of positives! I just want to ensure I make the right choice as once I choose the territory, I can not go back! (Sorry for such a large post!)
Kyle.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

ThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond reputeThatKidKyle has a reputation beyond repute

Also, just out of interest. Where have you found has had a large influx of Brits between the two? I would very much like to meet up with some more Brits whilst being over here! Especially when the Euro's roll round. The only was is up after our performance (or lack thereof) in Brazil!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Also, just out of interest. Where have you found has had a large influx of Brits between the two? I would very much like to meet up with some more Brits whilst being over here! Especially when the Euro's roll round. The only was is up after our performance (or lack thereof) in Brazil!
Birmingham

There are lots of Brits in Santa Monica.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Birmingham

There are lots of Brits in Santa Monica.
haha! Leave us Brummies alone! Luckily I do not have a typical Brummie accent though!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

haha! Leave us Brummies alone! Luckily I do not have a typical Brummie accent though!
The joke's on me, we're moving there in August
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The joke's on me, we're moving there in August
Where about in Birmingham? It's not bad at all, looking back (especially whilst being in West Virginia) I really miss a lot of it. I live just outside the city, so have the best of both worlds. Country side, parks, and golf courses in one direction. The Bull Ring, Jewelry Quarter, and Digbeth in the other. And lets not forget the greatest Football team of all time! Aston Villa!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where about in Birmingham? It's not bad at all, looking back (especially whilst being in West Virginia) I really miss a lot of it. I live just outside the city, so have the best of both worlds. Country side, parks, and golf courses in one direction. The Bull Ring, Jewelry Quarter, and Digbeth in the other. And lets not forget the greatest Football team of all time! Aston Villa!
OH's job will be at the university, back where he moved from in 2005. Not sure where we will live. We might end up back in Solihull, where we lived before. In hindsight, the west midlands is a great area!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:36 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Tons of Brits and Europeans in the Bay Area

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.