Need to Renew UK Passport

Need to Renew UK Passport

Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:36 am
GSH
Just Joined

GSH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need to Renew UK Passport

Hello:

I know this topic has been covered previously, but a lot of the threads are older. I need to renew my British passport as my current one expires on 9/18.

Has anyone done this recently and how strict are the requirements for the 45mm x 35mm photos? The only place I found that can do them local to me would charge $35 for this size, while at Kinko's I can get them for $13. Still not cheap, but not $35. However, the ones from Kinko's will be 2 inches x 2 inches. They cannot resize them. Will the Washington Embassy accept this size? 10 years ago I had no problems, but now with the biometric passports, who knows.

Thank you!

Gordon Hawley
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to Renew UK Passport

plenty of threads as recent as a few weeks...even the consulate bloke posted saying the fees have gone down a little a couple weeks ago...the info apart from the fees haven't changed.

Oh and welcome to BE
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:57 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

from my understanding the us sizing is just wider but the face has to have similar ratios to the uk sizes etc. Ie you have more background on either side of your head in the us than the uk because the paper is square. If thats the case you can just trim in down to the correct size you need. Get them to show you any old us photo and check how much wasted border there is.

(on a similar vein I actually used UK passport photos for my US visa as i believe the photos were just thinner and the head size was still as required). This worked fine at the embassy.

Last edited by MsElui; Sep 4th 2008 at 1:30 am.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:17 am
GSH
Just Joined

GSH is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant! Found a place local to me who can make the UK size photos for $11.95. Now I don't need to worry about the 2 x 2 photos being rejected.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:01 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello.... I just really recently renewed my passport - about a week before the price went down hey ho.. anyway I just got my photos done at RiteAid and got clever hubby to trim them down... I was so paranoid they would be rejected as they weren't 100% identical after the trimming process, bit more of shoulder in 1 than the other...

Anyhoooooow no problem, sent it UPS and got it back UPS exactly 10 days later - easy peasy..... All spangly and new, and ready to sit in the drawer until our next trip the England or elsewhere around the globe - whenever that maybe!!!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

I got my daughter's through Snapfish - upload a digital photo, select UK passport, few days later they arrived, Easy!

BTW, I downloaded a form last week to change my name on my passport. I screwed up the form so today I went to print another and it's CHANGED. Is it my imagination or has the name change option been taken away?? Now I think I have to renew it & get a photo countersigned and everything.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:50 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.epassportphoto.com/
Try this for free passport photos.