British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   need a phone number, Can anyone help ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/need-phone-number-can-anyone-help-527816/)

wisewol Apr 8th 2008 4:49 pm

need a phone number, Can anyone help ?

Well we are now setling in and the mountain of boxes are being undone. My daughter has to fly back to the UK in June ish to complete her visa process. I have notified the London Embassy of change of address and had confirmation from them. We requested that her embassy appointment not be till middle of june as she is completing an international programe with Disney untill then and that seemed ok. I ma getting a little concerned that we have not heard anything from the embassy and we are getting to the point of needing to book her flight home.
I have tried phoning the embassy on an assortmant of numbers and it appears that you can't phone the embassy from outside the UK at all. I have tried it every wat possible. I managed to get a number from somewhere and called it but it was for non-immigration visas and he could not help at all and told me that the only way I could phone was from inside the uK. I explained to the complete idiot that I was in the USA and he seemed to either not understand this or was just an idiot through and through. He seemed to think I should just pop back to the UK so I can phone. :confused:

So anyway my question is does anyone know if there is a way around this ? I am really just trying to find out if they have set the date for her appointment yet ? and just wondered if anyone else has ever managed to try and call the UK embassy from here?

I tried to get my mum to call from UK and pretend to be me but that was obviously out of her understanding :p so cant go down that line again

TruBrit Apr 8th 2008 4:56 pm

Re: need a phone number, Can anyone help ?

i guess you have tried all these numbers ~

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...3&L2=1&a=26272

lisa67 Apr 8th 2008 5:07 pm

Hi. Not sure if you're trying to call the US Embassy in London, but if you are :

For people calling from within the US 1-866-382-3589

Calls are charged at a fixed rate of $16.00 for uo to 7 minutes. Payment is by credit card only - visa, master card, or American Express.

I had to call them yesterday. They will talk to you and tell you what info. you need to have on hand before they start billing you.

They are open until 9:00pm gmt

Hope this helps.

wisewol Apr 8th 2008 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 6178836)
Hi. Not sure if you're trying to call the US Embassy in London, but if you are :

For people calling from within the US 1-866-382-3589

Calls are charged at a fixed rate of $16.00 for uo to 7 minutes. Payment is by credit card only - visa, master card, or American Express.

I had to call them yesterday. They will talk to you and tell you what info. you need to have on hand before they start billing you.

They are open until 9:00pm gmt

Hope this helps.

Got all excited, thanks for the number and he just gave me the same information saying that as it is a immigration visa I130 he does not have that information and the only number i can call for that information has to be called from within the UK AAAAAAAAArghhhhh infact I think I got the same idiot I called a couple of weeks ago. He suggested I write to them !!!!!!

Elvira Apr 8th 2008 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by wisewol (Post 6178916)
Got all excited, thanks for the number and he just gave me the same information saying that as it is a immigration visa I130 he does not have that information and the only number i can call for that information has to be called from within the UK AAAAAAAAArghhhhh infact I think I got the same idiot I called a couple of weeks ago. He suggested I write to them !!!!!!

What about email?

I know this is what's usually suggested by the Immigration Wizards here.

I don't know the address, but if you post a query in the Marriage Based Immigration section, one of them who's 'in the know' is likely to see it.

Duncan Roberts Apr 8th 2008 6:04 pm

I have heard rumours that if you call the IRS at the embassy in the UK you may be able to sweet talk the person on the line into putting you through to a real life person in the consular section via an internal transfer. However, it's not guaranteed and maybe the phone system has changed not to allow this, but it's worth a shot since it's a London number.

Alternatively, have you tried the main switchboard at the embassy? 442074999000

wisewol Apr 8th 2008 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 6179109)
I have heard rumours that if you call the IRS at the embassy in the UK you may be able to sweet talk the person on the line into putting you through to the consular section via an internal transfer. However, it's not guaranteed and maybe the phone system has changed not to allow this, but it's worth a shot since it's a London number.

Thanks will try this tommorrow and also post in the immigration section to see if anyone has an e-mail address

BritishGuy36 Apr 8th 2008 9:14 pm

If you have broadband, you can always set up a VOIP account with a UK VOIP provider like VOIPtalk.co.uk. This is how I am going to maintain a UK local call rate number when I move to the US. Outgoing calls appear to come from the UK.

I have a VOIP telephone adapter but you could just as easily use a software VOIP phone with either mic and speakers or preferably a headset. Opening a VOIP account is free, as is an inbound 05 local call rate number, you just pay for call credit in £5 or £10 chunks.

The calls made would be expensive to 09 numbers, but if you gotta do it you gotta do it - still cheaper than flying back - and you can also give them a UK number to call you back on if needed.

If you want to try it and need any help with the setup let me know.

meauxna Apr 8th 2008 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by wisewol (Post 6178916)
He suggested I write to them !!!!!!

That's my suggestion too. Email the londonconsular@ address with your request. You may get a return message saying they've deleted your message, but persist. They do actually read them. Maybe. Eventually.
You'll never get thru to who you need via phone as far as I know.

You could try chasing up the Dept of State number (or look u the NVC/National Visa Center--actually, that's what I recommend on further thought.
Because London is now an "Appointment Post", the NVC should be scheduling the interview.

lapin_windstar Apr 8th 2008 10:13 pm

I don't suppose you have a friend in the UK that can just transfer you to that number, do you?

augigi Apr 9th 2008 1:44 am

I agree, open a UK skype number. Doesn't cost hardly anything.