British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   need a new job (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/need-new-job-340863/)

marksandy Dec 3rd 2005 6:14 pm

need a new job

I have been in the States for 2 years. I married an American and now have an 8 week old baby boy.....But I am fed up with my job. Since arriving here I have worked in Car Dealerships and have now come to the conclusion that they all rip you off, employees and customers. I want a career and a living that actually supports my family. Are there any loyal Brits here in America that need more Brits, someone who's passionate to suceed and make money but cares about their family......I used to be a laugh and have a great SOH but this business drains all your energy......
HELP!

Mark......Stuck in Central Ohio. :eek:

NC Penguin Dec 3rd 2005 6:40 pm

Re: need a new job

Originally Posted by marksandy
I have been in the States for 2 years. I married an American and now have an 8 week old baby boy.....But I am fed up with my job. Since arriving here I have worked in Car Dealerships and have now come to the conclusion that they all rip you off, employees and customers. I want a career and a living that actually supports my family. Are there any loyal Brits here in America that need more Brits, someone who's passionate to suceed and make money but cares about their family......I used to be a laugh and have a great SOH but this business drains all your energy......
HELP!

I think you probably already know the answer. In order to get a more fulfilling job, you may:

have to go back to school and get an advanced degree (though it's usefulness is debatable)
change your career and you may get more job satisfaction or a better wage. Gettting both is rarely attainable.
relocate elsewhere in the country if you find and get a job that fulfills the point immediately above.

NC Penguin

Sarah Dec 3rd 2005 6:59 pm

HELP!

You mean the prospect of spending your life in a cube office, working 40 hours a week and getting 2 weeks off a year for the rest of your natural life isn't making you happy?... ;)
I kinda feel like I know how you feel. Working in an environment like you described can choke all the life out of you. I guess the hardest part is figuring out what job/career you actually really want to do. After that, going and making it happen is the (relatively) easy part.
I wish you the best of British luck!

CaliforniaBride Dec 3rd 2005 7:05 pm

HELP!

Congratulations on the recent arrival of your son.

I suspect his arrival may be causing you to reassess your life and your future. You should look at that as a positive. Then you need to plan how you are going to make a change in your life. Going back to school is relatively easy here (and I know because I'm doing it). Classes are held at convenient times and the coursework is easy! It won't be instant, which I think you would prefer, but it will help once you get on that pathway.

Good luck and take care of yourself, your wife and your new son.

Terrier Dec 3rd 2005 7:32 pm

HELP!

You don't work for Ricart do you?

thelegalalien Dec 3rd 2005 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
You mean the prospect of spending your life in a cube office, working 40 hours a week and getting 2 weeks off a year for the rest of your natural life isn't making you happy?... ;)

What gets me is that my US colleagues think 2 weeks off is something I should be grateful for! I then point out that "In the UK I used to get..." and they look back in shock wondering how any work gets done. Well it did, and I was much happier.

Lottie Dec 3rd 2005 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by thelegalalien
What gets me is that my US colleagues think 2 weeks off is something I should be grateful for! I then point out that "In the UK I used to get..." and they look back in shock wondering how any work gets done. Well it did, and I was much happier.

Because in the UK when we are in the office, we are not spending our time getting breakfast...then a mid morning snack...then going out for lunch....then an afternoon snack.... :rolleyes:

antjen Dec 4th 2005 1:03 am

yeah the whole 'vacation' thing is a bit strange to americans, i mean - what use is 2 weeks????? - disgusting, the last company i worked with as a temp offered me 12 days a yr, glad i turned it down and found something better!!

Ant

kevntrace Dec 4th 2005 1:11 am

Sorry chum, don't have much advice for you. What is depressing you about the car sales business? Are you finding that sales is not your preferred profession or is it something else? If you like sales, what about real estate? There is some potential there but I guess its hard going at first.

Other than that, maybe there is a business you might like to start up yourself? Problem is with a kiddie now, you feel so much more pressure to provide a stable income, and starting your own business is a gamble. I've been having these thoughts myself after finding I'm getting sick of working for someone else and helping make them rich.

HELP!

NC Penguin Dec 4th 2005 3:06 am

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Sorry chum, don't have much advice for you. What is depressing you about the car sales business? Are you finding that sales is not your preferred profession or is it something else? If you like sales, what about real estate? There is some potential there but I guess its hard going at first.

Other than that, maybe there is a business you might like to start up yourself? Problem is with a kiddie now, you feel so much more pressure to provide a stable income, and starting your own business is a gamble. I've been having these thoughts myself after finding I'm getting sick of working for someone else and helping make them rich.

He and his wife have a newborn. The last thing a parent in that situation needs to do is to spend every waking hour starting up his own business. I'd say your suggestion is useful when the child is in school fulltime.

NC Penguin

kevntrace Dec 5th 2005 2:08 am

I have an 11 month old myself - just trying to empathise and say I've been having the same thoughts since she was born.

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
He and his wife have a newborn. The last thing a parent in that situation needs to do is to spend every waking hour starting up his own business. I'd say your suggestion is useful when the child is in school fulltime.

NC Penguin

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 5th 2005 6:33 am

I looked at Realty, did some research. In Colorado there are 2 house sales for every Realtor. I was told that in Vail there are more Realtors than properties on the market. Obviously there are a few who do make good money, and you may well be one.

I do know one person who seems to be doing OK, but several who must be scraping.

Could you use the accent better in a higher end dealership, BMW, Merc etc.

Chorlton Dec 5th 2005 1:25 pm

You have to just leave your body when you get to work ;)
Try working for a state agency - at least they usually look after you. Save as much as you can and get out as soon as possible.

BigDavyG Dec 5th 2005 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Save as much as you can and get out as soon as possible.

Bloody hell, how did you get your hands on my masterplan ???

Chorlton Dec 5th 2005 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Bloody hell, how did you get your hands on my masterplan ???

Great minds :D