Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

in need of a new cell phone, best price plan?

in need of a new cell phone, best price plan?

Old Jun 14th 2006, 2:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: in need of a new cell phone, best price plan?

Originally Posted by magilla442
Just starting to establish it over here, but will put the contract in my wifes name, whos credit score is over 800!

That'll work!

(Coz without the credit history, your choice is not wide. Some will reject you out of hand for certain plans, others will require a large deposit.)
Old Jun 14th 2006, 3:46 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

the best deals for phoning and texting back to the UK
I use the phone at work
Old Jun 14th 2006, 3:57 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

www.tel3.com works with your mobile. It works by caller ID, so you put your mobile phone number down as one of your phones that you call from, so you can call England from your mobile. I love tel3, I have saved so much money with them, I pay 2.5c per minute, plus when you sign up/have special offers, they give you free minutes/bonuses. You can call from any phone, but then you'll have to use your password. If you call from your mobile, you just dial a local access number & it detracts from your mobile minutes.

Hope that makes sense!
Old Jun 14th 2006, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Verizon wanted $400 from me as I have no credit history! I decided to use the T-Mobile pay as you go service since I rarely talk on the telephone anyway (usually send text messages) and I use the internet to talk to the folks back home. Does anyone one else find US mobile phone plans horrendously expensive when compared to the UK companies? And how some still charge per minute and not per second, and how the top ups expire after 30 or 90 days, which they don't do in the UK?

Sometimes I wonder if the USA really is the technologically advanced nation it claims to be. We seem to be streets ahead in many respects (chip and pin, Direct Debit, the fact that having your wages paid into your bank account here is something special that you have to request...) I could go on and on....
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:11 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Verizon wanted $400 from me as I have no credit history! I decided to use the T-Mobile pay as you go service since I rarely talk on the telephone anyway (usually send text messages) and I use the internet to talk to the folks back home. Does anyone one else find US mobile phone plans horrendously expensive when compared to the UK companies? And how some still charge per minute and not per second, and how the top ups expire after 30 or 90 days, which they don't do in the UK?

Sometimes I wonder if the USA really is the technologically advanced nation it claims to be. We seem to be streets ahead in many respects (chip and pin, Direct Debit, the fact that having your wages paid into your bank account here is something special that you have to request...) I could go on and on....
These are things we have discussed a lot on this forum & have come to the conclusion that yes, Britain seems to be a lot more advanced on the things you mention. The mobile phone wars will really kick off here soon, I'm sure.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drebin
I just moved from the extortionate VirginMobile PAYG to a Sprint Contract.

I pay $30 a month for:
- 500 free anytime minutes a month, extra mins only $0.10 a min (as good as any PAYG deal)
- Free evenings and weekends
- Free mobile to mobile if they're on Sprint
- Free picture mail and web access
- Selection of decent phones with rebates. Lowest end one is free.

And soon I'll try for $5 off my bill a month to get it to $25 a month.

Here's how you get it, it's not quite straightforward but it's worth the effort:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

Did have to put down a $150 deposit since I had no credit rating, but apparently I get this back in six months.
I moved from Cingular to Sprint and I am VERY happy with Sprint. I found that with Cingular calls kept getting dropped. That has not happened with Sprint. I live on the east coast and I pay $35 a month for 400 mins. I also pay $5 a month for unlimited Sprint to Sprint calls. They also have an international plan. Check out www.sprint.com.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol

I think they are pretty similar. The deposit is due to credit history - and would be similar in the UK if you were in the same position - i used a PAYG until had a credit history and was using the phone more. On cingular our bill is around 50 bux with all the taxes - and this gives me more minutes than i will ever use!! At home the cheapest Orange contract is around 25 quid a month (similar to what i pay here) but that has much fewer minutes. I think it is much improved here in the US but we will see it getting more cut throat soon.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:49 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadster280
If so - Cingular and T-Mobile are the way ahead (GSM technology), as they will roam in Europe/ROW, if you have the right plan.
If you get a "world phone" from a provider such as Verizon, the phone will operate on both CDMA and GSM, meaning that the phone will work abroad. (I'm not endorsing Verizon as a provider -- for one, its international roaming rates look extortionate -- but there won't be an issue with technology if you have the right phone.)

As for GSM being superior, that's debatable. As a technology, CDMA is arguably more advanced and delivers superior call quality and data transmission to GSM.

The real benefit of GSM, though, is global compatability. The Europeans were wise to standardize their systems early on, and to actively export them abroad so as to create widespread adoption for the technology. CDMA is not used in many places outside of North America, so even if you believe that it is superior to GSM, you still end up with something similar to the Betamax-VHS conflict that once faced the videotape market. (Betamax was the better technology, but VHS had wider distribution, which led to Betamax being eliminated entirely. Compatability was more important than picture quality, and VHS remained dominant because it was "good enough.")

In contrast, the US allowed the free market to dictate the technology to be used, leaving us with no standard and the compatability issues that we have today. The technology base is there, but without a single standard, it becomes more difficult for the consumer to make use of it.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
I think they are pretty similar. The deposit is due to credit history - and would be similar in the UK if you were in the same position - i used a PAYG until had a credit history and was using the phone more. On cingular our bill is around 50 bux with all the taxes - and this gives me more minutes than i will ever use!! At home the cheapest Orange contract is around 25 quid a month (similar to what i pay here) but that has much fewer minutes. I think it is much improved here in the US but we will see it getting more cut throat soon.
I got an Orange plan on my 18th birthday back home so I'm not sure how they calculated my credit worthiness! I've been on PAYG for a few months now. My monthly bills (I paid for airtime in advance) were frequently less than ten pounds and I ended up saving tons by switching to PAYG. I have th phone for emergencies and so people can call me if they wish, but I prefer landlines to make phone calls on. So these wonderful megaplans they are offering me are no use. Verizon also tried to sell me a phone with internet access and mp3 capability etc even though I said "it if does texts and calls, that's good enough for me". Sometimes salesmen just don't get it....
Old Jun 15th 2006, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
If you get a "world phone" from a provider such as Verizon, the phone will operate on both CDMA and GSM, meaning that the phone will work abroad. (I'm not endorsing Verizon as a provider -- for one, its international roaming rates look extortionate -- but there won't be an issue with technology if you have the right phone.)

As for GSM being superior, that's debatable. As a technology, CDMA is arguably more advanced and delivers superior call quality and data transmission to GSM.

The real benefit of GSM, though, is global compatability. The Europeans were wise to standardize their systems early on, and to actively export them abroad so as to create widespread adoption for the technology. CDMA is not used in many places outside of North America, so even if you believe that it is superior to GSM, you still end up with something similar to the Betamax-VHS conflict that once faced the videotape market. (Betamax was the better technology, but VHS had wider distribution, which led to Betamax being eliminated entirely. Compatability was more important than picture quality, and VHS remained dominant because it was "good enough.")

In contrast, the US allowed the free market to dictate the technology to be used, leaving us with no standard and the compatability issues that we have today. The technology base is there, but without a single standard, it becomes more difficult for the consumer to make use of it.
Almost spot-on! I didn't say GSM technology is superior. I said that if roaming was an issue, then GSM would be the way to go, because, as you rightly say, the internationally installed base dwarfs that of CDMA. "World phones" are the only way that CDMA providers can tap the overseas-travelling market. What it means, is that the handset must have two radio systems, and is therefore bulkier and heavier. Do T-Mobile and Cingular offer these? No. No need. GSM works just fine here too.

As for the radio interface technology, yes, of course, CDMA is much better. 3G in Europe is Wideband CDMA.

I work for a telecoms network infrastructure company, and one of the CDMA providers is by FAR our biggest customer. But we have Cingular phones, because they have they best international roaming.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Almost spot-on! I didn't say GSM technology is superior. I said that if roaming was an issue, then GSM would be the way to go, because, as you rightly say, the internationally installed base dwarfs that of CDMA. "World phones" are the only way that CDMA providers can tap the overseas-travelling market. What it means, is that the handset must have two radio systems, and is therefore bulkier and heavier. Do T-Mobile and Cingular offer these? No. No need. GSM works just fine here too.

As for the radio interface technology, yes, of course, CDMA is much better. 3G in Europe is Wideband CDMA.

I work for a telecoms network infrastructure company, and one of the CDMA providers is by FAR our biggest customer. But we have Cingular phones, because they have they best international roaming.
I used to have Cingular and it was really amazing. When I would land at Heathrow I would turn it on and it would say, 'Vodafone UK'. Then, if I went to another country it would pick up the local company there. My friends back in the US could call and text me wherever I was. I am now with Sprint and they do not offer such a good international service.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 1:53 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Almost spot-on! I didn't say GSM technology is superior. I said that if roaming was an issue, then GSM would be the way to go, because, as you rightly say
As long as you have a tri- or quad-band phone. Not always cheap.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 3:24 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

My british vodafone contract is finally up, and since i live here now i need to get a U.S. one, only thing is, I have no idea which company off the best deals for phoning and texting back to the UK, does anyone have any advice, I have spent hours trawling throught the websites, yet they all seem concentrated on national call plans

Any help greatly appreciated!
Can't help you with the international part of your query but if you plan on using your cellphone much in the US, I've found that Verizon has the best coverage for providers to NC. Alltel is crap (I use them at work) and have poor coverage.

NC Penguin
Old Jun 15th 2006, 3:49 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Tim, did you sort out your job?
Old Jun 15th 2006, 1:49 pm
Tim

magilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Tim, did you sort out your job?
Yes luv I did! just got in from my first 12hr overnighter! knackered, hope i can stay awake for the footy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.