Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need medical insurance for in-laws, visiting USA

Need medical insurance for in-laws, visiting USA

Old Nov 6th 2006, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

no-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really nice
Default Need medical insurance for in-laws, visiting USA

Hope someone has experience with this.

My wife's parents are coming for a visit to the USA, they are from Eastern Europe. We would like to get them catastrophic health insurance coverage for their time here.

So far, we have found nothing reputable and worth the paper it is written on. Until my in-laws have a green card, they can't qualify for most insurance that we can get in the USA. The visitor insurance I see on the internet seems to be at or near worthless. I've been warned by a coworker that most visitor insurance is just a scam.

Does anyone have any experience they can share with visitor insurance and can suggest a reputable health insurance plan we can buy them?
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need medical insurance for in-laws, visiting USA

Mentioning the country would have helped.

Just have them buy travel insurance.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

no-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boiler
Mentioning the country would have helped.

Just have them buy travel insurance.
Thanks for your reply.
I managed to find some reputable sites based on
"travel insurance" instead of the key words I was using.

If anyone wants to know, the best site I found to review different plans and companies was www.squaremouth.com
One can be a citizen from any country and find insurance there.
I also saw some trip insurance companies from Britain, but their policies seemed high. ($10,000 coverage for $1500 premium).
Old Nov 7th 2006, 3:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You looking for holiday travel insurance or something a bit more long term? Holiday cover is usually short term and only valid if they return home...best places to look would be local travel agents and possibly banks etc...but I guess it depends which country there from.

But the polices will generally be high for anyone old and/or with pre-existing conditions.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 3:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by no-spam
Thanks for your reply.
I managed to find some reputable sites based on
"travel insurance" instead of the key words I was using.

If anyone wants to know, the best site I found to review different plans and companies was www.squaremouth.com
One can be a citizen from any country and find insurance there.
I also saw some trip insurance companies from Britain, but their policies seemed high. ($10,000 coverage for $1500 premium).
I put my details into the first company I could think of, Norwich Union, an annual cover:

Area: Worldwide incl. USA, Canada, Caribbean Islands
Maximum length of one trip: 90 days
Baggage Cover: £1,500
Medical Expenses: £10,000,000
Personal Accident: £50,000
Personal Money: £500

£176 per person per year.

To convert to dollars, double the above numbers and round down.

I would suggest they look at companies operating in their own country first.

I did not recognise any of the Insurers used by the site that you mentioned, but did like the site design.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Nov 7th 2006 at 3:14 am.