British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Need a Licensed UK Solicitor in Washington State (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/need-licensed-uk-solicitor-washington-state-941994/)

t6b9p Dec 18th 2021 4:31 pm

Need a Licensed UK Solicitor in Washington State

I have an irreplaceable UK document that I need to make certified copies of that are accepted by the UK government. This requires the certified copy to be made by an actively licensed UK solicitor. Anyone know of a UK solicitor in Washington State?

RICH Dec 18th 2021 4:39 pm

Re: Need a Licensed UK Solicitor in Washington State

I do not. Does the solicitor need to be a resident/ licensed in Washington also? if not. send the doc to a UK solicitor to make certified copies. I know-irreplacable/lost in post are an issue!

t6b9p Dec 18th 2021 5:03 pm

The solicitor could even be here on holiday, all that matters is that the solicitor is actively licensed in the UK. The document cannot be sent in the mail. If it is lost it will result in irreparable legal damage.

lansbury Dec 19th 2021 4:58 pm

I would suggest that you contact the UK Embassy in Washington and ask if there is one there, or at one of the consulates.

t6b9p Dec 19th 2021 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 13082388)
I would suggest that you contact the UK Embassy in Washington and ask if there is one there, or at one of the consulates.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried reaching out to the Embassy/Consulate as well as the Law Society in the UK. So far no response.

tom169 Dec 19th 2021 10:20 pm

Start googling for law firms specializing in UK/US estate planning. I would think that's where most international practice is.

t6b9p Dec 19th 2021 11:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I did get a list of companies that supposedly utilize UK solicitors. They range from Expedia to small companies. However, all the ones I contacted utilized UK solicitors still located in England.

S Folinsky Dec 19th 2021 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by t6b9p (Post 13082236)
I have an irreplaceable UK document that I need to make certified copies of that are accepted by the UK government. This requires the certified copy to be made by an actively licensed UK solicitor. Anyone know of a UK solicitor in Washington State?

I wonder if the second sentence is entirely correct. Both the United States and the UK are parties to The Hague Convention regarding authentication of documents. If applicable, the magic word is “apostille.” There may be (or perhaps not) an alternative to certification by a UK solicitor.

RICH Dec 20th 2021 12:24 am

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 13082470)
I wonder if the second sentence is entirely correct. Both the United States and the UK are parties to The Hague Convention regarding authentication of documents. If applicable, the magic word is “apostille.” There may be (or perhaps not) an alternative to certification by a UK solicitor.

I don't know, but I would think a UK solicitor on holiday in WA does not hold much weight.
OP is not saying but the scenario is beyond a share certificate or will/contract. Perhaps an official secret act, in which case a forum query is inappropriate!

t6b9p Dec 20th 2021 2:46 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 13082473)
I don't know, but I would think a UK solicitor on holiday in WA does not hold much weight.
OP is not saying but the scenario is beyond a share certificate or will/contract. Perhaps an official secret act, in which case a forum query is inappropriate!

My name was changed by Deed Poll in UK in 1973 (type written at UK Law Firm). It was not a requirement to register Deed Polls in 1973. The last name on my birth cert is different from my passport. To certify the type written 1973 document requires a UK practicing solicitor (per the Legalization Office FCO requirement). Once that has been done then the Hague Treaty applies and the UK Gov can put an Apostille on it for Brazil. Being type written and unrecorded, it is irreplaceable and cannot be mailed. Once certified by a UK solicitor, then certified copies can be made which can subsequently be submitted to the FCO.
My problem is, I'm in Washington State. I have air miles for a UK round trip but taxes run around $400, plus covid-19 is starting a major outbreak in the UK.

lansbury Dec 20th 2021 5:06 am

Originally Posted by t6b9p (Post 13082389)
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried reaching out to the Embassy/Consulate as well as the Law Society in the UK. So far no response.

Normally they will not do it as it can usually be done by a Notary, but where it can't they can make exemptions. It seems staff are still working remotely so doubt they would be able to unless an emergency. I looked at the bookings for the SFO Consulate and it shows all dates unavailable as far as I looked into the new year.