British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Need Information (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/need-information-524427/)

Roy Brown Mar 25th 2008 10:26 pm

Need Information

I am 16 years old and have a few questions.
1. I was hoping to catch a flight to somewhere in US not even sure where yet! and need some help from you guys on what you recommend for a cheap flight and am i old enough to travel alone anyway?
2. Do i need any specific things to be allowed in to the US or just catch a flight and go straight through the airport?
3. Not likely I know but since i'm 16 have poor grades and am a British citizen i'm doubting the possibilities of me being able to get a job anyone give me any help?

Noorah101 Mar 25th 2008 10:29 pm

Re: Need Information

Originally Posted by Roy Brown (Post 6111054)
1. I was hoping to catch a flight to somewhere in US not even sure where yet! and need some help from you guys on what you recommend for a cheap flight and am i old enough to travel alone anyway?
2. Do i need any specific things to be allowed in to the US or just catch a flight and go straight through the airport?
3. Not likely I know but since i'm 16 have poor grades and am a British citizen i'm doubting the possibilities of me being able to get a job anyone give me any help?

Do you have a passport?

Noorah101 Mar 25th 2008 10:31 pm

You might look into a student exchange program, not sure what kind of grades you have to make for that, though.

No chance at this young age with no experience, to get a job.

Rene

fatbrit Mar 25th 2008 10:35 pm

Non-judgmental answer.

1/ Usually NY.
2/ Nope. You can enter without a visa. Letter from your mom might be helpful, though.
3/ Plenty of jobs for 16-year-olds -- you shouldn't have any problems finding one.

Roy Brown Mar 25th 2008 10:47 pm

If you're talking american passport nope if you're talking passport in general yes. Is there a specific place i could go to due to my age and lack of experience to get some sort of job that you know of? By the way thanks for the responses i can see some of you may find my questions a bit stupid.

Noorah101 Mar 25th 2008 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Roy Brown (Post 6111121)
If you're talking american passport nope if you're talking passport in general yes. Is there a specific place i could go to due to my age and lack of experience to get some sort of job that you know of? By the way thanks for the responses i can see some of you may find my questions a bit stupid.

I meant a UK passport. OK, all you need to travel to the USA is your UK passport. Using your passport, you are allowed to stay up to 90 days in the USA without a visa.

You are not legally allowed to work in the USA during your 90 day visit.

Rene

fatbrit Mar 25th 2008 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Roy Brown (Post 6111121)

There's a McDonalds on most corners of most cities. Failing that, try the parking lot of a home depot -- get there early in the morning.

fatbrit Mar 25th 2008 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 6111128)
You are not legally allowed to work in the USA during your 90 day visit.

Oh hell! Forgot about that little problem.:o

Octang Frye Mar 25th 2008 10:51 pm

Okay, which one of you is this? I assume this is in response to the brouhaha over the 19 yr old aspiring writer.

\ No, it's not me.
\\ To the OP: your grammar and diction are not those of a 16 yr-old!!!
\\\ Well played, anyway.

fatbrit Mar 25th 2008 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 6111138)
Okay, which one of you is this? I assume this is in response to the brouhaha over the 19 yr old aspiring writer.

\ No, it's not me.
\\ To the OP: your grammar and diction are not those of a 16 yr-old!!!
\\\ Well played, anyway.

Nowt wrong with being an aspiring writer! Is there?

britvic Mar 25th 2008 10:55 pm

Best to stop now dear boy.

Roy Brown Mar 25th 2008 10:59 pm

What are they going to do get the authorities on me if i'm not out the country in 90 days :rofl: i'm too smart for them anyway. Just kidding. How the hell am i supposed to eat and drink if i can't earn money?

Noorah101 Mar 25th 2008 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Roy Brown (Post 6111168)
What are they going to do get the authorities on me if i'm not out the country in 90 days :rofl: i'm too smart for them anyway. Just kidding. How the hell am i supposed to eat and drink if i can't earn money?

Someone who uses the VWP (visa waiver program) to visit the USA, is expected to demonstrate they have enough funds to cover their stay here without working.

You might just be too young yet to do this. Get a job in the UK, earn some savings, and then try. You'll be more likely to get in.

Rene

Octang Frye Mar 25th 2008 11:02 pm

Of course there are ways... <cough> rent boy <cough>, waiting tables, etc, but this is an immigration forum and therefore I can't speak to the merits or demerits of any of those options.

You're better off asking this question of the riff-raff in the "Lounge" or the "Trailer Park".

/ Rete! I love you. Please don't take offense. Just 'aving a bit of fun.
// I actually agree that we can be somewhat judgmental at times.
/// How many times do I have to misspell that word as "judgemental"?
//// This is flying right over Noorah's head, isn't it?

Roy Brown Mar 25th 2008 11:10 pm

I was actually going to join the Royal Marines over here then i would have had lots of money with me over there. I got rejected because of a skin condition i have. Lol.