Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need info moving to usa

Need info moving to usa

Old Sep 22nd 2017, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Amandac86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need info moving to usa

My husband is looking to get a job is USA as greenkeeper. He has a huge amount of experience working in a top Scottish golf course and has the experiance. What i want to know is how easy is it to move to USA with 3 children? We have debt and also wonder if this would affect us being accepted into america. I have no clue and all the help or point in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 3:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need info moving to usa

Assuming he or you are not a US citizen, your husband will need sponsorship by an employer before he is eligible for a visa. He cannot apply for a visa without employer sponsorship. .... And the job must have a degree as a requirement.

Please look here (Pulaski simplified], and here (Pulaski's ways), for information on how to obtain a visa to live and work in the USA, but suffice to say that for most people the USA is one of the most difficult countries in the world to immigrate to.

Without a visa all your other questions are moot, and based on what you have I have posted, I doubt you and your family will ever come to the USA as anything but visitors. .... Unless he works for someone who owns golf courses in the UK and US, in which case a transfer by his employer would be possible, but only if his employer is willing to sponsor him.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 22nd 2017 at 3:26 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Trump has a Scottish Gold Course?

If that is where he works have a word and get a transfer.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 3:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

This is someone here on BE, who I think still posts occasionally, who was sponsored directly for permanent residence on the basis of being a "landscape architect" (so several notches above what people generally think of when they think "landscaping"). So if your husband is in the "world renowned" category of golf course care and management then perhaps a top-flight golf course in the US would be willing to go to the non-inconsiderable expense, and time delay (think:1-2 years) of going through an employment-based green card (permanent residence) application for him (his spouse and children aged less than 21 could be included automatically.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 22nd 2017 at 3:59 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This is someone here on BE, who I think still posts occasionally, who was sponsored directly for permanent residence on the basis of being a "landscape architect" (so several notches above what people generally think of when they think "landscaping"). So if your husband is in the "world renowned" category of golf course care and management then perhaps a top-flight golf course in the US would be willing to go to the non-inconsiderable expense, and time delay (think:1-2 years) of going through an employment-based green card (permanent residence) application for him (his spouse and children aged less than 21 could be included automatically.
Yeah that's probably me. Some landscape architects (but not me) get involved in the design of golf courses, but it's a totally different profession to being a greenkeeper. I would imagine he might stand a chance of someone sponsoring him for a work permit if they can wait for the application to go through. Would probably need labor certification too (prove no US citizen can, or is available, to do the job). My EB-3 permit took about 2.5 years to process from 2000 to 2002. The wait could be different now. Still not sure why my employer waited that long or how they proved nobody else could do the job!
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 12:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Brother played Golf this afternoon, the course remains open until the middle of October, weather dependent.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

.... And the job must have a degree as a [u]requirement.
It’s been a while since I went through the H1B process but I recall that it was a 4 year degree OR degree equivalence of 4 years experience in the field equating to 1 year or academic study.

Not sure how specialized the groundskeeper field is (I’m the one Scot who has zero interest in golf) but you may not need a degree.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Alan17
It’s been a while since I went through the H1B process but I recall that it was a 4 year degree OR degree equivalence of 4 years experience in the field equating to 1 year of academic study. .....
3:1, 12 years experience = a four year degree , but the job has to be one which requires a degree, and grounds keeper doesn't strike me as a job that requires a degree.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 1:42 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

OP, it's great to have a dream but sometimes we have to accept that it will only ever be a dream.

The thing is, it costs an employer a lot of money, thousands, to do all the paperwork to bring a foreign worker and family into the country. Now in some cases an employer may consider that money well spent if the person they are bringing into the country is the best at their game or can make the company a lot of money. It doesn't sound like your husband falls into that category. I appreciate he has a lot of experience but that doesn't count by itself. He needs plenty of the right kind of experience. If he really enjoys his job, why move? If you really want a change of scenery has he considered maybe Spain or Portugal? Plenty of nice golf courses there and no visa required for British citizens.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 2:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

3:1, 12 years experience = a four year degree , but the job has to be one which requires a degree, and grounds keeper doesn't strike me as a job that requires a degree.
There are degree's in the subject of golf course management, in that they're about managing the grass rather than just running a course.

It's probably not a requirement though.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

My husband has been offered a job to go to Ohio for 18 months but may extend they are sorting out the paper work etc. They are having a skype talk with him this weekend to explain everything in more detail. If it is not extended is he able to look for another job over there or does he need to come back over here to get another employer to sponser him. Thank you so much for all your information. It has been very helpful 😊
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Amandac86
My husband has been offered a job to go to Ohio for 18 months but may extend they are sorting out the paper work etc. They are having a skype talk with him this weekend to explain everything in more detail. If it is not extended is he able to look for another job over there or does he need to come back over here to get another employer to sponser him. Thank you so much for all your information. It has been very helpful 😊
It depends on the visa, with some you can switch employers, with others you cannot, and the same goes for your trailing spouse visa, some allow you to work, and some do not. .... Is your husband being hired externally or is it a transfer by/withing his employer?

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 26th 2017 at 7:13 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amandac86
The first question he should be asking them during the Skype chat is "what visa are they applying for on (his) behalf".
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
The first question he should be asking them during the Skype chat is "what visa are they applying for on (his) behalf".
Which will be a letter followed by a dash and a number and sometimes another letter, mist commonly H-1B, L-1A, L-1B, or E-2. There are a good number of other less common possibilities. Unless they can produce a specific visa type they are just stringing you along.

If the employer is an educational or research establishment then an H-1B would be "uncapped", and the difference is important.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your quick response. It is externally (not his current employer) although it is a british website they are looking for british employee's and this is also a website for greenkeepers "union" so id like to think they wouldn't let employers who are going to string people along advertise on the page. Is there any other questions you would recommend asking. Thank you for your help. Must think im an idiot but hubby has literally sprung this upon me and i like to research things before just jumping in 😊

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.