Reload this Page >

NEED HELP URGENTLY! B2 VS VWP

NEED HELP URGENTLY! B2 VS VWP

Old Jun 24th 2012, 11:59 am
Just Joined

jonnyb5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NEED HELP URGENTLY! B2 VS VWP

Hello everybody

Very new to these threads just need some urgent quick advice, I have read so many views but nothing is particularly comparible to mine hence why I am posting my own thread, and some of you on here really know your stuff anyway....

My circumstances

I have been working in the financial industry (prop trader) and then a broker for the last 2 and a half years!

I am 20, due to be 21 in october.

I am looking to basically take 6 months off because I feel having not gone to university I would love to explore the US and maybe live 2 months in NYC, las vegas for my 21st, and just explore the country, as I feel under the VWP 90 days isnt long enough.

I am a british citizen and have lived here all my life.

-I am liquid for around 12k.

Ties...
-I have a job email offer to start in February.
- I have family here and friends here
- Mothers 50th bday in Jan
-I have a credit card
- I have a car that is financed for 150quid a month
- I have a stock portfolio here in the UK

Now I have no idea what to do...

Because B2 is what I want, but if i get rejected it seems that I won't be able to go at all even for 90 days! So I am not sure what to do...

Can I get a VWP for 90 days, come home on 85th day, go straight back out there?

Can I still go for 90 days if I get rejected?

Are there an ties that I'll need extra?

Please help asap, Because I am going on holiday on 24th July for 2 weeks, therefore I need to sort out this all by this week because if I do a B2 I need to give them my passport for up to 2 weeks.

I am also looking to go mid august!

THANKS EVERYONE, ANY HELP WOULD BE MASSIVELY APPRECIATED!!!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEED HELP URGENTLY! B2 VS VWP

Originally Posted by jonnyb5
I have read so many views but nothing is particularly comparible to mine hence why I am posting my own thread,
Not comparable because many of the other posters wanted to stay more than 90 days, while you only want to stay for six months?

Anyway, if you have read a number of the other threads on this subject, you know which answer you are going to get. Keep it simple, and stick with a VWP visit of 90 days or less.

You can't always get what you want, as the Rolling Stones said back in 69.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, just to add... I meant 180 days! ha
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

I am looking to basically take 6 months off because I feel having not gone to university I would love to explore the US and maybe live 2 months in NYC, las vegas for my 21st, and just explore the country, as I feel under the VWP 90 days isnt long enough.
This is a reason very commonly associated with rejections.

Ties...
-I have a credit card
None of these really show much tying you to the UK

If it were me, I'd stick with the VWP.

Because B2 is what I want, but if i get rejected it seems that I won't be able to go at all even for 90 days! So I am not sure what to do...
Potentially. You'd have to apply for a new ESTA and declare the visa denial. This commonly results in ESTA being denied as well. At least for a few months.

You can try. There is a very real risk that the officer at the point of entry will see that as an abuse of the VWP and not let you in though. People have been admitted doing this. People have also been sent straight back home.

See above. Recent visa denials commonly result in ESTA denials too. The longer you leave between the visa denial and the ESTA application, the better your chances.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Very new to these threads just need some urgent quick advice, I have read so many views but nothing is particularly comparible to mine ...
Actually, there are a lot of threads on this exact topic, for your exact reasons. Welcome to BE, by the way.

This reason is not good enough to warrent the issue of a B-2 visa. Simply wanting to stay longer is not a good enough reason. You can accomplish seeing more of the USA on two VWP visits.

Ties...
-I have a credit card
If the job starting in February was an actual signed contract, and not just an offer, it might be a good tie. A job offer means nothing, especially via email. Get it in writing on company letterhead, with all the details involved...your salary, your job title, make sure it's signed by both HR and you. The other things on your list are not ties.

My layman's advice is to do two VWP trips. Since you have 8 months to work with (July - February), I'd do 2.5 months now, come back home for 3 months, and then try another 2.5 months (see most of what you want on your first visit, just in case you don't get into the USA on the 2nd try).

Because B2 is what I want, but if i get rejected it seems that I won't be able to go at all even for 90 days!
You probably could eventually, but maybe not for 6 to 12 months from now.

You can try, as long as you realize that the less time you spend back home, the less your chances are of getting admitted at the US POE again.

Eventually, probably, yes. But probably not right away, as you'll have to complete a new ESTA and declare the B-2 denial, which usually results in a denied ESTA. After that, wait about 6 to 12 months and try ESTA again.

Are there an ties that I'll need extra?
Yes. Your ties were VERY weak. You should have things like a firm job that you need to return to by a specific date (not just an offer); maybe own your own home or property (i.e., a residence outside the USA that you do not intend to abandon); if you are going back to school, you could bring proof that you need to be in class on X date. If none of these apply to you, then you won't be able to prove strong ties.

Rene
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

thanks for all the advice.

Ideally I wanted to go for 6 months on the trot, because I wanted to ideally be back in the UK around november for my sisters wedding as well.

Whats the likelihood in that case of going from august 22nd until november 15th (with a WVP) and ofcourse a return flight, and then flying out about 2 weeks later in december with the same course of action?

whats the likelihood then?

thanks again for everyones help
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ideally I wanted to go for 6 months on the trot, because I wanted to ideally be back in the UK around november for my sisters wedding as well.
This doesn't make sense. You wanted a B-2 visa so that you could get a 6-month stay in the USA....but you really only plan to be in the USA for 3 months anyway? (leaving in August, returning to UK in November).

Whats the likelihood in that case of going from august 22nd until november 15th (with a WVP) and ofcourse a return flight, and then flying out about 2 weeks later in december with the same course of action?

Probably the same likelihood as if you stayed in the UK only a few days. For best results to be admitted on the VWP again, stay back home at least as long as you were in the USA. So, if you were in the USA for almost 3 months (Aug 22 to Nov 15), then stay back in the UK for longer than 3 months before attempting another VWP trip.

Of course this isn't official, and isn't a law, and isn't in writing anywhere. You certainly can TRY to come back to the USA within 2 weeks, as long as you're aware that you're more likely to be denied entry to the USA.

Rene
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for all the advice.

thanks again for everyones help
The best anybody here can advise on that is the answer that's already been given: You can try but you might not be allowed in. What you're proposing is not what the VWP is intended for but people can and do get admitted under similar circumstances. People can and do get refused. Barring the highly unlikely event of the officer who is going to decide whether to admit you the 2nd time or not logging in and offering his opinion, nobody here can give you any better answer than "maybe".
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Respectfully, your "wants" are not a consideration for US immigration. Quite simply, they don't care if their rules and regulations are inconvenient for you!

If you apply for a visa and it's denied, you won't be coming to the US this year at all... even on the VWP.

Stick to the VWP... even if it's not ideal.

Ian
Old Jun 24th 2012, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

JSL... totally agree with you there it all comes down to the underlying of an opinion, because there are cases which have been AWFUL for some people, and equally ridiculous stories were people have got through.

And Rene, I wanted a b2 because I wanted a 180 day visa without having to return, but if i can get a free VWP and hope I can re-enter a few weeks later then I will do it that way.

I suppose though 3 months is better than being rejected and not being able to go at all.
Also if I paid for the flights the second time I travel for example 2 weeks afterwards in December with a return three months later in february and then turn round and decline, will i have to pay more money?

thanks ian as well
Old Jun 24th 2012, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Why spend all of the 6 months in the US - seems like a waste of travelling time if you ask me... you'll end up just hanging out for most of it, you can do that in England on your work weekends. If you're going to take a block of time out from work, do something you couldn't in your normal holidays.

Fly into New York, travel down East coast and South of the US (6 weeks)... go into Mexico and travel down to Panama and visit everywhere on the way (around 3 months). Fly back up to California, see West Coast, maybe some Canada (6 weeks), fly home. No need to worry about any visas.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 4:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Pay more money for what?
Old Jun 24th 2012, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by civilservant
Pay more money for what?
Maybe OP is talking about flight home if refused entry? In which case, no, you don't have to pay for that.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 4:15 pm

And Rene, I wanted a b2 because I wanted a 180 day visa without having to return,
I know....I understand that part. But then you said you DO want to return in less than 180 days, to attend your sister's wedding in November. That's where I got confused.

Also if I paid for the flights the second time I travel for example 2 weeks afterwards in December with a return three months later in february and then turn round and decline, will i have to pay more money?
I don't think you have to pay MORE money, no. The airline will honor the return ticket you already have.

Rene
Old Jun 24th 2012, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
Fly into New York, travel down East coast and South of the US (6 weeks)... go into Mexico and travel down to Panama and visit everywhere on the way (around 3 months). Fly back up to California, see West Coast, maybe some Canada (6 weeks), fly home. No need to worry about any visas.
The problem with that is, he still could be denied entry to the USA after having traveled to Canada or Mexico. Then he'd be stuck on one of those countries.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.