British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Need Help With Paint Estimates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/need-help-paint-estimates-927302/)

brit_usa2014 Aug 18th 2019 2:34 pm

Need Help With Paint Estimates

We are looking to paint our home (2500 Sq Ft) both exterior and interior. Just wanting an estimate as to what is a reasonable price to agree to contractors? We live in MA and I know price varies throughout the country but just needed an idea. Also, what paint company is considered good? And what colours are in trend now for the living room/kitchen? Do we buy our own paint or go with contractors buying it for us? So many questions lol...

ddsrph Aug 18th 2019 3:03 pm

Re: Need Help With Paint Estimates

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014 (Post 12724426)
We are looking to paint our home (2500 Sq Ft) both exterior and interior. Just wanting an estimate as to what is a reasonable price to agree to contractors? We live in MA and I know price varies throughout the country but just needed an idea. Also, what paint company is considered good? And what colours are in trend now for the living room/kitchen? Do we buy our own paint or go with contractors buying it for us? So many questions lol...

I would buy my own paint to ensure the quality and quantity. Go with a major brand after online research. I would also break up the job of inside and outside. Do outside first due to coming winter and don’t even mention the inside until outside is done as you may want to change contractors. Get st least three quotes and before hand try to get recommendations from friends and neighbors as to who to even ask for a bid.

Rete Aug 18th 2019 5:39 pm

How would you handle this situation if you were still residing in the UK?

I believe in 99% of the cases you provide the paint you wish to have used and you and your partner, if you have one, decide on the color. What does having a trendy color have to do with painting a room in a color you like and that goes with your décor?

Sherwin-Williams is a great paint. A bit expensive but definitely one of the best in the paint industry. Unless you are selling your house, paint a color of your choosing. If selling, paint it neutral.

MidAtlantic Aug 19th 2019 11:34 am

It really doesn't matter what we think. Get three quotes, then you will know. I did that and was surprised to find that CertaPro was the least expensive. Given that they are a franchise and, at that time, were advertising heavily on the TV, I expected them to be the most expensive. I went with them and they did an excellent job. They also come with a two year warranty, which I put to the test with a slight flaw on the ceiling. They came back out and fixed it immediately at about 20 months, even though the flaw was not necessarily down to them. That is not to say that the least expensive is necessarily the best.

BEVS Aug 19th 2019 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12724475)
How would you handle this situation if you were still residing in the UK?

Funnily enough we just went through this whole thing here in New Zealand as conditions, paint brands , finishes etc are different to the UK.
Here we have a cedar clad house so it was our first time ever to have a professional painter come it to paint the outside. UK = brick. We had no idea at all what price we should be looking at nor how long it should take . Who bought what . As it turned out we were to buy the paint through the painters account which we found odd as in the UK the tradie buys the goods and you are invoiced for goods and services.

All a learning experience but better to try to know what you're about than go in blind.

vespucci Aug 19th 2019 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12724970)
As it turned out we were to buy the paint through the painters account which we found odd as in the UK the tradie buys the goods and you are invoiced for goods and services.

That's not a bad plan; here in the US I bought the paint through a painter's account at half price and got to choose the exact paint I wanted.

zzrmark Aug 20th 2019 12:44 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12724970)
As it turned out we were to buy the paint through the painters account which we found odd as in the UK the tradie buys the goods and you are invoiced for goods and services.

In the UK if you want the interior walls splurged with magnolia throughout you'd expect the contractor to supply you with magnolia 'contract' paint, if however you had a penchant for a certain brand in a certain colour then most good quality tradesmen will supply you with what you've asked for ( and bump their costs accordingly) or be quite happy to use what you supply.

penguinsix Aug 20th 2019 1:54 pm

Look at sites like HomeAdvisor.com and Angie's List to get estimates relatively painlessly.

ddsrph Aug 20th 2019 2:05 pm

Lowes sells Sherwin-Williams and Valspar both very good paints and I can’t imagine any small store selling at a better price. I never trust having someone buy something for me. Painting the outside I would use the best paint you can afford and look at other houses to decide on color.