Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need help to get to USA from UK

Need help to get to USA from UK

Old May 1st 2001, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Jazz&Pam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Before I start explaining our situation, I would like to thank anyone who replys to this message with any advise and/or help.

My sister, 24 and I, 23 are looking to make the transition to the States from London, UK. We both have graduated from university with BA (Hons) Business and Marketing degree and BA (Hons) Tourism Management degree.

Is applying for a H1B visa the best way to get to the States for us? I have heard that the H1B visa is not necessarily the best way to get a green card or permanent residency.

Can anyone who has a H1B visa or obtained permanent residency via HIB please advise?

What is the job market in the States like? Do we necessarily have to get jobs in our chosen fields of education?

Can anyone also please advise us of a website where we might browse through for a house/flat to live in, in the States - specifically in Boston, Chicago and/or Seattle?

Thank u and goodbye

Hope to hear from anyone soon.
Old May 1st 2001, 5:59 pm
LdyRvnHrt

Hi hun... I live in New York .. and here the job market is not bad at all. If you
have skills you can make a very nice living. As for places to look for housing, I
would suggest going through Yahoo and do a regional real estate search in the area in
which you would like to live. Its less messy and less expensive than going through a
real estate agent.

as for the rest, im afraid I cant help much, as I have been asking these good people
for help myself getting my loved one here legally.

I wish you all the luck in the world...

Blessed be .. Barbara aka: Lady Ravenheart

Old May 1st 2001, 11:34 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Jazz&Pam wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

It probably is the most straightforward way for you to become authorized to work in
the U.S. You may have to visit the U.S. first to get started on the process.

I
    >
    >

H-1B is *not* a way to get a green card or permanent resident status. H-1B is a
temporary worker status, available for an initial period of 3 years, and renewable
for up to a total of 6 years.

If you want to obtain permanent resident status, you must get your employer to apply
and petition on your behalf. It is a separate process. See
http://www.americanlaw.com/employ.html.

A value of H-1B is that it allows you to work for an employer during the pendency of
the green card application.

>
    >
    >
    >

It's a complicated question, and you'll have to do research in your field. See

http://www.dbm.com/jobguide/ http://www.jobhuntersbible.com/ http://www.job-hunt.org/

Do we necessarily have to get
    >

In order to obtain H-1B status, you must have a job offer in a field closely related
to that of your college degree.

>
    >
    >

Old May 3rd 2001, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Jazz&Pam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thank u to Sylvia and Lady Ravenheart. My sister and I wish to thank both of u for replying and your brilliant advise. We would like to wish Lady Ravenheart the best of luck in getting her man to the US.

We are both really overwhelmed by your kindness. We did not excpect a reply from anyone, really.

Can anyone help us out with the legal side of things to our situation?

Your thoughts and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

from Jazz and Pam