Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need healthcare coverage to get insulin

Need healthcare coverage to get insulin

Old May 12th 2019, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need healthcare coverage to get insulin

Originally Posted by Rete
Medicare does not pay all your medical expenses nor does it cover your prescription drugs. This is knowledge gleamed as a senior on Medicare. A supplemental insurance is required to pick up what medicare does not pay. So my question is whether your fiancée is on mediCARE or mediCAID. Medicaid will pay all his medical expenses.
He could be on both Medicare (due to disability) and Medicaid (due to low income). In these circumstances, Medicaid ends up paying the Medicare premiums/deductibles etc. I did know a person in this position, but her income from SS and SSI (I think) combined ended up pushing her over the limit for Medicaid.
Old May 12th 2019, 11:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
He could be on both Medicare (due to disability) and Medicaid (due to low income). In these circumstances, Medicaid ends up paying the Medicare premiums/deductibles etc. I did know a person in this position, but her income from SS and SSI (I think) combined ended up pushing her over the limit for Medicaid.
Actually it is rare that someone obtaining SSB or SSI have low enough income to qualify for Medicaid. ASAIK, you cannot get both SSB and SSI. My BFF was on SSI and the moment we hit 62 SSI stopped and SSB kicked in and she lost the medical benefits of SSI. I'm not normally one who pries and never asked her, nor did she volunteer, if she had 'caid or 'care.

NM, as for if the child would be eligible to collect SSB due to stepdad's SSI, I said it was something to look into as I'm far from sure if it can be obtained.
Old May 13th 2019, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Actually it is rare that someone obtaining SSB or SSI have low enough income to qualify for Medicaid. ASAIK, you cannot get both SSB and SSI.
You can get both if your SS benefit is low enough. My friend had a very patchy SS record - lived abroad, worked "off the books" etc - so her SS was pretty low. Iirc, she lost her Medicaid before the Medicaid expansion kicked in. It's possible that given she lives in a state that took the expansion, she's back on both. This is also something for the OP to investigate - no mention of what state they are going to live in but that will likely make a difference as to any Medicaid eligibility down the road.