Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need healthcare coverage to get insulin

Need healthcare coverage to get insulin

Old May 9th 2019, 10:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need healthcare coverage to get insulin

Originally Posted by Boiler
Looking back the only thing I see mentioned is Deaf, anyway seem Medicare is not due to 65 plus.

So OP would be looking to presumably go the CR1 route, which means work authorised on arrival, marrying 2020, arrival 2021 or 2022. So a lot can happen in that sort of time.

So assuming it is still around the ACA aka Obamacare of getting a job with good benefits.
She previously said he was diabetic, deaf, and classified as disabled. Today she said he is on Medicare, so it adds up. But yes, she will not qualify for that until she is 65. ACA is the way to go — for her and her child.
Old May 12th 2019, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Lolitainkwell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
I think you can get on Medicare after you have been married for one year and you are both over 65 and you are a legal resident. Don't know if that helps or not. From the AARP site:

I recently married a Canadian who has applied to become a permanent U.S. resident. Will he be able to get Medicare on my work record and pay the same rate as I pay, or will he have to buy into Medicare?

A. If your work record makes you eligible for full Medicare benefits, then your husband—whatever his nationality—will also be entitled to the same benefits at the same cost, provided he meets all the following conditions:

he is a legal permanent resident of the United States;
he has been married to you for at least one year;
he is age 65 or older.
Thank you, I read that too.
We won't qualify though as we are in our 40s.
Thank you for checking though.
Old May 12th 2019, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sherbert
We told the employer that he could not take the job offer (which was an initial offer for just 6 months) unless they threw in health insurance and they did, so not helpful for you I am afraid.
Thank you for letting me know though.
Old May 12th 2019, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I believe the OP's prospective spouse receives Medicare benefits because he is disabled, not because he is a senior. From the OP's prior posts, she has a small child (she cited the cost of childcare) so presumably is not close to retirement age.
Yes that is correct.
I am 48 and he is 45.
Old May 12th 2019, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Look for the ACA (Affordable Care Act) coverage available in the state to which you are moving.
Thank you for this information.
Old May 12th 2019, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Yes, there's some important info missing in this thread... as in the ages of the two of them, and whether the prospective spouse is on Social Security Disability and qualifies for Medicare through that. Assuming the OP is not of Medicare age (65) then they certainly won't qualify and are going to need an ACA individual policy. That will cover insulin and the policy cost could well be subsidised if the future spouse's income is limited to disability. And, of course, assuming they are able to work, either could have a job that provides health insurance.

Got to say that if I were in their shoes, I'd be wanting to live in the UK, not the US, given these health challenges.
I'm 48 and he is 45 and yes he is on Social Security Disability and so qualifies for Medicare.

I have had very little medical support from my diabetes consultant as have had to change my insulins several times in the last 18 months, and as a result my fiance has said he wil not even consider moving here.

I am very grateful for your reply and what you have said seems to be the only way forward.
Old May 12th 2019, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Looking back the only thing I see mentioned is Deaf, anyway seem Medicare is not due to 65 plus.

So OP would be looking to presumably go the CR1 route, which means work authorised on arrival, marrying 2020, arrival 2021 or 2022. So a lot can happen in that sort of time.

So assuming it is still around the ACA aka Obamacare of getting a job with good benefits.
Yes the CR-1 route is the way I will be going,
Thank you for your reply.
Old May 12th 2019, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

She previously said he was diabetic, deaf, and classified as disabled. Today she said he is on Medicare, so it adds up. But yes, she will not qualify for that until she is 65. ACA is the way to go — for her and her child.
Thank you.
Old May 12th 2019, 2:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lolitainkwell
I'm 48 and he is 45 and yes he is on Social Security Disability and so qualifies for Medicare.
Medicare does not pay all your medical expenses nor does it cover your prescription drugs. This is knowledge gleamed as a senior on Medicare. A supplemental insurance is required to pick up what medicare does not pay. So my question is whether your fiancée is on mediCARE or mediCAID. Medicaid will pay all his medical expenses.

I have had very little medical support from my diabetes consultant as have had to change my insulins several times in the last 18 months, and as a result my fiance has said he wil not even consider moving here.
As a Type 2 Diabetic for over 20 years, I can tell you that although I do not require insulin, and my A1C numbers are well below the diabetes number indicator with the help of meds, my drugs have been changed many times either because the dosage was not correct, the drug was not doing what was anticipated, or new drugs on the market promised better results. I see it as the doctor being very medically supportive with each change in meds. If he weren't, he would have left me on the meds originally given and not given a dam about my health.

I am very grateful for your reply and what you have said seems to be the only way forward.
It is a lot to think about. Just the fact that you are marrying someone who is deaf and unable to work is something to consider since you are not a healthy person either. I also wonder why your fiancée has not considered or been considered for the cochlear implant. Yes, it takes time after the implant for your brain to learn to understand spoken words but if he is currently using a hearing aid (as I am being profoundly hearing impaired), the brain will learn quicker since it is familiar with the spoke word if the implant is successful.
Old May 12th 2019, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Need healthcare coverage to get insulin

Originally Posted by Rete
Medicare does not pay all your medical expenses nor does it cover your prescription drugs. This is knowledge gleamed as a senior on Medicare. A supplemental insurance is required to pick up what medicare does not pay. So my question is whether your fiancée is on mediCARE or mediCAID. Medicaid will pay all his medical expenses.

As a Type 2 Diabetic for over 20 years, I can tell you that although I do not require insulin, and my A1C numbers are well below the diabetes number indicator with the help of meds, my drugs have been changed many times either because the dosage was not correct, the drug was not doing what was anticipated, or new drugs on the market promised better results. I see it as the doctor being very medically supportive with each change in meds. If he weren't, he would have left me on the meds originally given and not given a dam about my health.

It is a lot to think about. Just the fact that you are marrying someone who is deaf and unable to work is something to consider since you are not a healthy person either. I also wonder why your fiancée has not considered or been considered for the cochlear implant. Yes, it takes time after the implant for your brain to learn to understand spoken words but if he is currently using a hearing aid (as I am being profoundly hearing impaired), the brain will learn quicker since it is familiar with the spoke word if the implant is successful.
He is definitely on Medicare as has to pay part of the costs himself.

He had the Cochlear done in October 2017 and he sent me a message last year saying he could hear the birds singing which was a shock to him. That really made me smile, that he could hear that.

Last edited by Lolitainkwell; May 12th 2019 at 3:21 pm.
Old May 12th 2019, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lolitainkwell

I have had very little medical support from my diabetes consultant as have had to change my insulins several times in the last 18 months, and as a result my fiance has said he wil not even consider moving here .
Does he understand that the insulin you are given is free in the UK? Like most Americans, he might not be able to comprehend this concept. I really would think very carefully about moving to the US with significant health issues when working (and therefore getting decent health insurance) is impossible for one or both of you. To put things into perspective, my OH gets a bill for US$ 60,000 for having a 3 hour infusion every 6 weeks to keep his condition under control. Yes. You read that correctly. Yes, that is per infusion, not for the entire year. Of course, the insurance covers it but these are the kind of figures that are bandied about over here without a second thought. If at any point, OH lost his job (and therefore our health insurance), we'd be on the first plane back to civilisation.

Last edited by sherbert; May 12th 2019 at 6:36 pm. Reason: fat fingers, additions
Old May 12th 2019, 6:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad that he is now able to hear sounds. I understand it takes time to fully hear and understand words, music and in noisy situations. I've been researching it for myself and I am a candidate but because of age and the possibility that it might not work, I have decided against it. After all I have only perhaps 10 more years of life left. I don't want to spend it totally deaf.

If you don't mind my asking a very personal question, and please you do not have to reply, why is he still considered disabled and on Medicare and SSDI?
Old May 12th 2019, 6:38 pm
Concierge

I believe the OP's prospective spouse receives Medicare benefits because he is disabled, not because he is a senior. From the OP's prior posts, she has a small child (she cited the cost of childcare) so presumably is not close to retirement age.
Another poster retired and he had a young child. He was old enough to get his social security retirement benefits and he was able to claim social security money for the child, as well. The OP should check this out when she comes to the US. The child is probably not his but if he adopts the child, who knows.
Old May 12th 2019, 6:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Another poster retired and he had a young child. He was old enough to get his social security retirement benefits and he was able to claim social security money for the child, as well. The OP should check this out when she comes to the US. The child is probably not his but if he adopts the child, who knows.
But does this hold true for the recipient of disability, as opposed to retirement, benefits? (Genuine inquiry, I’m interested to know.)
Old May 12th 2019, 6:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by sherbert
Does he understand that the insulin you are given is free in the UK? Like most Americans, he might not be able to comprehend this concept. I really would think very carefully about moving to the US with significant health issues when working (and therefore getting decent health insurance) is impossible for one or both of you. To put things into perspective, my OH gets a bill for US$ 60,000 for having a 3 hour infusion every 6 weeks to keep his condition under control. Yes. You read that correctly. Yes, that is per infusion, not for the entire year. Of course, the insurance covers it but these are the kind of figures that are bandied about over here without a second thought. If at any point, OH lost his job (and therefore our health insurance), we'd be on the first plane back to civilisation.
Indeed, it costs money to move in either direction. Another question for the OP is whether either meets the financial requirements to bring the other to their home country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.