Reload this Page >

Need healthcare coverage to get insulin

Need healthcare coverage to get insulin

Old May 9th 2019, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Lolitainkwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need healthcare coverage to get insulin

Hello,

Does anyone know of any long term term health insurance plans I can take out in the UK to cover insulin costs in the USA and healthcare?

Just doing research at the moment, marrying next year, fiance has Medicare and is also diabetic. Been told I cannot get on it.

Thanks.
Old May 9th 2019, 5:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need healthcare coverage to get insulin

Originally Posted by Lolitainkwell
Hello,

Does anyone know of any long term term health insurance plans I can take out in the UK to cover insulin costs in the USA and healthcare?

Just doing research at the moment, marrying next year, fiance has Medicare and is also diabetic. Been told I cannot get on it.

Thanks.
Look for the ACA (Affordable Care Act) coverage available in the state to which you are moving.
Old May 9th 2019, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think any UK insurance companies will cover you for pre existing conditions in the US. I looked into it a few years ago (OH has Crohn's and needs ongoing medication) and an expat insurance policy from Cigna Global was quoted to me at well over EUR 1000 per month and the policy would not cover ANYTHING that was related to Crohn's.
Old May 9th 2019, 6:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

When you move to the US you need US health insurance, you can't buy that in the UK.

All you can buy in the UK is travel insurance, which won't help you at all when you're living in the US.
Old May 9th 2019, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks.

Correct ... One is eligible for Medicare by payroll deductions throughout one's working life. If just moving to the US, you might be able to buy into it after being a resident for 5 years, and even then it is going to be very expensive.

As said you could apply for an ACA plan (Obamacare plan) in your State; again expect it to be expensive.

No insurance company in the UK is going to cover medicines for a resident in the US.
Old May 9th 2019, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone for the information.

Really glad I have started to research this now.
Old May 9th 2019, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sherbert
I don't think any UK insurance companies will cover you for pre existing conditions in the US. I looked into it a few years ago (OH has Crohn's and needs ongoing medication) and an expat insurance policy from Cigna Global was quoted to me at well over EUR 1000 per month and the policy would not cover ANYTHING that was related to Crohn's.
Thank you.
So what did you do if you don't mind me asking?
Old May 9th 2019, 7:36 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can get on Medicare after you have been married for one year and you are both over 65 and you are a legal resident. Don't know if that helps or not. From the AARP site:

I recently married a Canadian who has applied to become a permanent U.S. resident. Will he be able to get Medicare on my work record and pay the same rate as I pay, or will he have to buy into Medicare?

A. If your work record makes you eligible for full Medicare benefits, then your husband—whatever his nationality—will also be entitled to the same benefits at the same cost, provided he meets all the following conditions:

he is a legal permanent resident of the United States;
he has been married to you for at least one year;
he is age 65 or older.

Old May 9th 2019, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
I think you can get on Medicare after you have been married for one year and you are both over 65 and you are a legal resident. Don't know if that helps or not. From the AARP site:

I recently married a Canadian who has applied to become a permanent U.S. resident. Will he be able to get Medicare on my work record and pay the same rate as I pay, or will he have to buy into Medicare?

A. If your work record makes you eligible for full Medicare benefits, then your husband—whatever his nationality—will also be entitled to the same benefits at the same cost, provided he meets all the following conditions:

he is a legal permanent resident of the United States;
he has been married to you for at least one year;
he is age 65 or older.
I was taking another look at this question too; and found the AARP site with the above info.
Since non working spouses etc can get Medicare based on their spouses contributions, I thought that a person marrying a US citizen might be able at some stage to get the same benefits. It would appear to from this information.(taking all the criteria in consideration)

This does not help the OP much as she is not yet married to the US citizen, but does give some hope for Medicare coverage after a year's marriage ?

Comments ???
Old May 9th 2019, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
So what did you do if you don't mind me asking?
We told the employer that he could not take the job offer (which was an initial offer for just 6 months) unless they threw in health insurance and they did, so not helpful for you I am afraid.
Old May 9th 2019, 8:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I was taking another look at this question too; and found the AARP site with the above info.
Since non working spouses etc can get Medicare based on their spouses contributions, I thought that a person marrying a US citizen might be able at some stage to get the same benefits. It would appear to from this information.(taking all the criteria in consideration)

This does not help the OP much as she is not yet married to the US citizen, but does give some hope for Medicare coverage after a year's marriage ?

Comments ???
I believe the OP's prospective spouse receives Medicare benefits because he is disabled, not because he is a senior. From the OP's prior posts, she has a small child (she cited the cost of childcare) so presumably is not close to retirement age.
Old May 9th 2019, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I believe the OP's prospective spouse receives Medicare benefits because he is disabled, not because he is a senior. From the OP's prior posts, she has a small child (she cited the cost of childcare) so presumably is not close to retirement age.
Yes, there's some important info missing in this thread... as in the ages of the two of them, and whether the prospective spouse is on Social Security Disability and qualifies for Medicare through that. Assuming the OP is not of Medicare age (65) then they certainly won't qualify and are going to need an ACA individual policy. That will cover insulin and the policy cost could well be subsidised if the future spouse's income is limited to disability. And, of course, assuming they are able to work, either could have a job that provides health insurance.

Got to say that if I were in their shoes, I'd be wanting to live in the UK, not the US, given these health challenges.
Old May 9th 2019, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Looking back think you are correct..... in which case my previous answers are not relevant; the OP does not sound as though she would be eligible for Medicare.
Old May 9th 2019, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Move somewhere along the Canadian border within a reasonable drive to Canada?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ulin-1.5125988
Old May 9th 2019, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking back the only thing I see mentioned is Deaf, anyway seem Medicare is not due to 65 plus.

So OP would be looking to presumably go the CR1 route, which means work authorised on arrival, marrying 2020, arrival 2021 or 2022. So a lot can happen in that sort of time.

So assuming it is still around the ACA aka Obamacare of getting a job with good benefits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.