Reload this Page >

Need to find a by-the-hour job *fast*

Need to find a by-the-hour job *fast*

Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Wibble Wobble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need to find a by-the-hour job *fast*

Hi B.E.,

I am going to LA in June on a J-1 visa but still have no job (or accommodation) sorted. I've posted my resumé online, looked through job websites, even left my phone number on them publicly.

But I still haven't found a job, and need one by the end of January at the very latest. Has anyone got any advice or tips? I'm thinking about cold-calling random places in LA to ask if they are hiring for the summer, but that doesn't sound very good.

I only need an hourly-wage job because the visa only lasts for up to 4 months, and most of those jobs will probably get taken by US college students during the summer

Thanks if you can give any advice
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to find a by-the-hour job *fast*

Call BUNAC and ask them if you can get their US job directory. Aside from that, people aren't hiring in general right now let alone hiring low level jobs for 6 months in the future. Theme parks and the like are prime for that sort of work but they don't usually give you a job this early.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wibble Wobble
Hi B.E.,

I am going to LA in June on a J-1 visa but still have no job (or accommodation) sorted. I've posted my resumé online, looked through job websites, even left my phone number on them publicly.

But I still haven't found a job, and need one by the end of January at the very latest. Has anyone got any advice or tips? I'm thinking about cold-calling random places in LA to ask if they are hiring for the summer, but that doesn't sound very good.

I only need an hourly-wage job because the visa only lasts for up to 4 months, and most of those jobs will probably get taken by US college students during the summer

Thanks if you can give any advice
What sort of job are you looking for...flipping burgers or an internship? I assume with you saying a temporary hourly paid job you are looking at something like flipping burgers...if so I think you are applying a little early. If you are looking for an internship...many are unpaid positions. Also in many cases employers are looking for someone who they may be interested in taking on full-time after they graduate with a degree...you're only 17 which could be a disadvantage.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks both for your replies.

Sadly the BUNAC Job Directory only has 1 job in California, and its on an island (which I'm not interested in).

I would work as an interm but only if paid, so I guess I am looking at "flipping burgers"... although I've worked at McDonalds before which wasnt too bad!

I think after the new year I'll start emailing and phoning places.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both for your replies.

Sadly the BUNAC Job Directory only has 1 job in California, and its on an island (which I'm not interested in).

I would work as an interm but only if paid, so I guess I am looking at "flipping burgers"... although I've worked at McDonalds before which wasnt too bad!

You'll be wasting your time and money. Normally you could easily get that type of work by walking into a restaurant or store...but the economy has taken a nose dive...who knows what the job market will be like in 6 months time. Even in the best of times no-one is going to hold a job like that open for you.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 5th 2008 at 7:58 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I'll tell you the reply, if you get one at all. Apply in person when you get here.

You are trying to apply for jobs 6 months in advance that are usually hired within hours of applying and have an extremely high turnover rate. Maybe you will strike it lucky but chances are you won't.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm missing something... who is the sponsoring institution for your J-1? Shouldn't you have worked out the details of employment with them? Which program category are you in?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Maybe I'm missing something... who is the sponsoring institution for your J-1? Shouldn't you have worked out the details of employment with them? Which program category are you in?
My guess is BUNACs Work America. No requirement to get a job or anything else before you get there. I landed in New York with 1 night of accommodation and that was about it!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:25 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

When I had a J1 visa (Work America) I just walked into places. For restaurant/fast food type work that really is the norm. You may also want to consider joining a temp agency when you get there for office-type work that may pay a bit better.

Naomi.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

In previous posts the OP said last month that he was 17 and was hoping to get J1 visa after his first year at university. Maybe he could confirm that he now does in fact have a visa.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In previous posts the OP said last month that he was 17 and was hoping to get J1 visa after his first year at university. Maybe he could confirm that he now does in fact have a visa.
If that's the case I would bet money he is signing up for BUNAC's work america program. If he is, unless there is some major problem, he will get the visa. It probably won't be until the day he leaves though, or much closer to the time he leaves.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If that's the case I would bet money he is signing up for BUNAC's work america program. If he is, unless there is some major problem, he will get the visa. It probably won't be until the day he leaves though, or much closer to the time he leaves.
I thought it was only available during a uni course...if the OP is 17 he will most likely not be starting uni until next Sept.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought it was only available during a uni course...if the OP is 17 he will most likely not be starting uni until next Sept.
Yep, I'm going on BUNACs Work America program. I'm in university just now (being 17 at uni really sucks by the way!) so should get the visa, almost everyone does.

Ducan and Naomi: knowing you have both been through this and survived makes me feel a lot better, thanks
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in LA you could always try applying Disneyland and Universal studios
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
If you are in LA you could always try applying Disneyland and Universal studios
... or you could just try hanging out on Santa Monica Boulevard ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.